Somebody Please Develop A Single Spot to Find Events!

In Taiwan you mostly read about an event after it actually happened!

1 Like

There are less western business expats than previously that is absolutely true. This place was Shanghai before Shanghai was Shanghai. It makes me a little sad sometimes but that’s the way things go.

There are possibly more expats now overall but mostly ABC , ABT and Asians is my impression.

Biggest expat communities are Japanese and Koreans I think (I’ve checked the numbers before they are accurately recorded month to Month on NIA website )

Edit rough numbers from memory, actual stats from Aug 2017
https://www.immigration.gov.tw/ct.asp?xItem=1334568&ctNode=29986&mp=2

10,000 Americans
2000 Canadians
15000 Malaysian
8000 japanese
2000 Koreans
2000 UK

Really just a very small expat community in Taiwan and miniscule from the West. For example just around 100 individuals from Ireland (Hong Kong alone would have 10x this number ).
Even Korea it’s a lot less than I expected. Probably a large number of Koreans and Malaysians are students.

When you see SEA it’s mostly 100,000s each from Vietnam, Philippines , Indonesia, Thailand etc. Unfortunately those people have limited freedom to participate in society.

There are a relatively large number of Americans but I suspect a fair number are Taiwanese Americans with dual citizenship and temporary teachers. Or maybe just thebigger population of Americans and historical links with Taiwan. I don’t know.

1 Like

There have been various attempts at this, likewise in pre-Internet days there were little mags would turn up in Roxy/45 etc., run for 3 copies and disappear. Off the top of my head Waakao, Taiwan Nights and the actual Taiwan Gig Guide all folded in recent times. The main issue is you need advertisers to make these things work. But advertisers need to know they are getting good exposure for the dollars they’re throwing away. Its the same with this site and the other site and unnamed peoples various attempts to actually make some money from them. Yet to generate a single cent apart from the odd banner ad.