Something sailing related?

No, but wouldn’t mind getting hold of him - need a survey for insurance purposes.

Can’t really register a sail yacht as a fishing boat. The best option is to be a ‘training vessel’.

The next one:

Depart Wanli 3pm on 11 September - the alternative being to hang around and have to eat moon cakes - and sail overnight to Hualien. Approx 19 hrs underway. I’ll be doing this bit.

Friday 12 September, there’s a match race in the afternoon. No racing for me as I have to hop a train back to Taipei in order to keep my job and ARC.

Saturday 13th, two more match races followed by a party. I’ll miss the races, but should be back late evening for rum-drinking lessons.

Sunday 14th, mid-morning, return overnight to Wanli, arriving back at 5ish. (More or less.)

Anyone who knows anything about this sort of stuff and wants to get involved should PM me. We have a shortage of competent crew.

It’s great to hear that there is some sailing going on in Taiwan.

I don’t live there, but when I go, I’d like to sail. Do you know of any place I can get a hold of (rent) something about 27’?

In a word, no.

Fulung beach has a sailing centre with Hobies, and I think there’s dingys to be had in Xinju, but that’s about it.

I’m trying to find a way to get a Melges 24 and a J24 into the water, but it’s uphill all the way at the moment.

Had another go at the delivery from Hong Kong again this week. The forecast was OK, but not very accurate, so we ended up with the wind (25kts) blowing directly from Kaohsiong to HK.

After a day of hard slog we were about 30 miles in the right direction, and not going to make it in the time we had left. Bit of a bugger, really, although I had a lot of fun, and the trip back was great - wind and big waves behind us in the starlight.

As none of us can get time off in the near future, the job may go to a professional delivery skipper with no time constraints. Otherwise we’ll try again in April/May.

Mods, and anyone else interested: There’s another thread in the ‘miscellaneous’ section, which deals with learning to sail. As this one is more about travel I’d be obliged if you don’t merge them.

Ta.