South Carolina and Taiwan sign driver's license reciprocity

wyff4.com/news/South-Carolin … t/32038520

DMV Executive Director Kevin Shwedo and the Director General of the Taipei Economic and Cultural Office Steven Tai signed a Memorandum of Agreement at the SCDMV Headquarters in Blythewood.
The memorandum will allow residents with a Taiwanese driver’s license to forgo written and driving tests to receive a South Carolina driver’s license. South Carolina drivers also will be able to exchange their state licenses with those issued by Taiwan.
“We spent about a year comparing and contrasting the driving standards for licensing,” said SCDMV Executive Director Kevin Shwedo. “We have confirmed additional testing was not required to have reciprocity with Taiwan. The reciprocity agreements make it easier to attract international business to the Palmetto state and much easier to conduct business when the citizens of participating countries can drive freely.”

The identification requirements will be the same as those required for anyone seeking a driver’s license in South Carolina. The reciprocity agreement applies only to non-commercial licenses and will not include motorcycle licenses.

“This agreement is another manifestation of the strong friendship between the great state of South Carolina and Taiwan, sister states since 1981who maintain a vibrant trade and cultural relationship. Many South Carolina cities have sister cities in Taiwan, the most recent being Columbia and Taichung City, an association that was established last year. A reciprocal drivers’ license exchange between South Carolina and Taiwan is yet another way to promote investment and business opportunities between the two allies. Taiwan’s longstanding relationship with South Carolina continues to thrive. I feel certain it will only improve over time,” said Director General Tai.

SCDMV is also grateful for the assistance the agency received from the City of Columbia Honorary Ambassador Robert Chen who worked with the agency on behalf of Taiwan.

“Bob Chen worked tirelessly to help us achieve this goal,” said Shwedo. “During his prestigious career, Bob has been recognized for his accomplishments many times by both state and national governments. We would be remiss not to recognize and offer thanks for his efforts today.”

Wonder what else is required. Like proof of residency in South Carolina, or filing a SC tax form, or…

You’re missing the obvious here :slight_smile: I’ll hazard a guess you aren’t American?

Am. Not sure what obvious I"m missing, but I know that many states have added an additional requirement (as a result of 9/11) that you must have some type of authentic type of residency that proves that you are who you say you are. The Federal gov has a name for it but I forget the name.

Oh, you’re talking about for the Taiwanese to get a SC license. I missed your point.

My wife went through it in South Carolina, it was not that hard of an issue to deal with. Though there was some confusion as to what documents they needed. but like all government workers at the DMV… lazy. It took two visits unfortunately, but yes it can be done.