South China Sea - Have we already lost

theage.com.au/world/china-re … jb1ol.html

What are your thoughts on this?

Who’s “we?” The article is from Australia, and AFAIK they don’t have any claims to the South China Sea. It’s Malaysia, Indonesia, Vietnam, and the Philippines that are losing. Maybe China will offer them some sort of deal for them to give up their claims; that would be probably the best ending in terms of regional stability.

1 Like

“We” are enemies of China. Which includes an unofficial coalition of South-East Asian countries, the US and its Allies who don’t recognize China’s territorial claims and see it as a threat.

Well then maybe, but might makes right when it comes to territorial claims. None of the countries involved can produce convincing legal frameworks to justify their assertions and so it’s either keep squabbling in adfinitum or someone takes the decisive move. China just moved faster and smarter than everyone else.

Also, I wouldn’t really say any of those countries are enemies of China. More like rivals.

China just acted like the bully it is, has been, and always will be.

“Give me your lunch, bozo!”

1 Like

There is no coalition. It’s a bunch of little islands all with their own parochial views. As HWW said, China just managed to get its (military) act together faster. I don’t like it any more than you do, but survival of the fittest and all that. The village idiots lost when they decided, decades ago, that it was more important to divert attention from their collective hands in the cookie jar than to pay attention to pressing national or international problems.

[quote=“urodacus”]China just acted like the bully it is, has been, and always will be.

“Give me your lunch, bozo!”[/quote]

Today they are just building islands,tomorrow they will be invading South America dropping cluster bombs of civilians , installing puppet governments, stealing resources and creating a global refugee crisis.

Only if you visit the mainland will you see how they are gearing up for a regional war. The media constantly riffs back to Japan’s atrocities in China, their ‘rearming’, and the American intent of keeping China down. They are steadily building their armed forces now , probably the only thing stopping them at this stage Is uncle SAMs still superior weaponry and organization. They are itching for a scrap.

With Japan? They would only get into a fight with Japan if they attacked Japan first since Japan still doesn’t have a regular army, and that would bring international outcry. None of China’s other rival claimants are willing to go to full-scale war, though skirmishes are always a likelihood.

[quote=“agentsmith”][quote=“urodacus”]China just acted like the bully it is, has been, and always will be.

Today they are just building islands,tomorrow they will be invading South America dropping cluster bombs of civilians , installing puppet governments, stealing resources and creating a global refugee crisis.[/quote]

you say this like you are surprised.

I’m not talking about South America, though. But Taiwan and the southern islands of Japan, not to mention Vietnam, Philippines, and Malaysia are ripe for the taking.

[quote=“urodacus”][quote=“agentsmith”][quote=“urodacus”]China just acted like the bully it is, has been, and always will be.

Today they are just building islands,tomorrow they will be invading South America dropping cluster bombs of civilians , installing puppet governments, stealing resources and creating a global refugee crisis.[/quote]

you say this like you are surprised.

I’m not talking about South America, though. But Taiwan and the southern islands of Japan, not to mention Vietnam, Philippines, and Malaysia are ripe for the taking.[/quote]

I was making a sarcastic comparison." Ripe for the taking"?

As per the Chinese, it is named South China sea, so it belongs to them. Anything with China on its name or that belong to China in the last 50000 years, is theirs. They have suffered so much and been mistreated so badly that this is now the time to revenge and take back what is theirs.

This above statement is the main reason we have a problem with these issues.

[quote=“Icon”]As per the Chinese, it is named South China sea, so it belongs to them. Anything with China on its name or that belong to China in the last 50000 years, is theirs. They have suffered so much and been mistreated so badly that this is now the time to revenge and take back what is theirs.

This above statement is the main reason we have a problem with these issues.[/quote]

You forgot the 6 million killed by the Japs.

Yeah, we forget the many millions of Chinese killed by Mao as well. “Oh, wait, that was the Japanese’s fault too.”

[quote=“agentsmith”][quote=“Icon”]As per the Chinese, it is named South China sea, so it belongs to them. Anything with China on its name or that belong to China in the last 50000 years, is theirs. They have suffered so much and been mistreated so badly that this is now the time to revenge and take back what is theirs.

This above statement is the main reason we have a problem with these issues.[/quote]

You forgot the 6 million killed by the Japs.[/quote]

Well, when the KMT breached the yellow river levee, it killed 900 thousand, and made 10 million refugees. According to the survivors, it was the Japanese who gave them food. So in return they led the Japanese through the area, defeating Chinese forces and helped the Japanese to take Wuhan by October.

I was once again making a sarcastic comparison.

Remember guys, unlike his namesake in The Matrix, agentsmith likes to joke around.

When you have a country like the US that has built up a world dominating military and has no problem at all with using it on a regular basis wherever they see fit, it only makes sense that other countries build up theirs as best they can. They are only playing the game under the rules the US created. Until China actually does go on a warmongering campaign, I think they’ve earned the benefit of the doubt.

[quote=“hansioux”][quote=“agentsmith”][quote=“Icon”]As per the Chinese, it is named South China sea, so it belongs to them. Anything with China on its name or that belong to China in the last 50000 years, is theirs. They have suffered so much and been mistreated so badly that this is now the time to revenge and take back what is theirs.

You forgot the 6 million killed by the Japs.[/quote]

Well, when the KMT breached the yellow river levee, it killed 900 thousand, and make 10 million refugees. According to the survivors, it was the Japanese who gave them food. So in return they led the Japanese through the area, defeating Chinese forces and helped the Japanese to take Wuhan by October.[/quote]

Exactly.

Much of the death and pain thought Chinese history has been self inflicted, if not by opening the gates, then by fratricidal power games. The Chinese were not weak, have never been the sick man, but rather they bled themselves from inside out. The worst civilian disasters in WWII were caused by military leaving them behind. They even left their veterans defenseless here, unless high echelons. Corruption caused endemic poverty, wanting to be the Emperor left a trail of corpses you cannot blame on anyone but the Chinese, especially rotating corrupt elites wrapped in self righteousness.

When you have a country like the US that has built up a world dominating military and has no problem at all with using it on a regular basis wherever they see fit, it only makes sense that other countries build up theirs as best they can. They are only playing the game under the rules the US created. Until China actually does go on a warmongering campaign, I think they’ve earned the benefit of the doubt.[/quote]

Agreed. The global game of chess continues . US vs Russia, US vs Middle East, US vs China, Can’t expect to win them all.

While the US is waging wars and setting the stage for the next lucrative arms sale,China is doing deals and helping build infastructure elsewhere.