Spouse sponsored by my ARC - is she still eligible for APRC?

Neither my wife nor I are Taiwanese. Previously, her job provided her ARC for 3 years, before she moved and switched to being sponsored on my ARC.

My question is, if she hypothetically were to stay as dependent on my ARC, would she still be eligible for the APRC 2 years down the line? I heard those on student visas were not eligible for APRC status, so I am curious how strict the rules are. As in, must the full 5 years strictly be spent on a bonafide, personal, individual work-related visa in order to be eligible?

I could be wrong, but I believe there is an alternative version of the APRC that replaces the JFRV and has similar requirements. Best bet is to just turn up at immigration and ask them. They’re usually pretty helpful.

AFAIK there is little or no wiggle room in the requirements for the work-related APRC, even though Immigration are theoretically allowed to decide things on a case-by-case basis. However if you own property in joint names that might qualify her, even if her salary is lower than the acceptable minimum.

You have to hold the same ARC for 5 years to be eligible. When she switched to being your dependent, was she issued with an ARC?
If so, to check, have a look at her ‘previous’ ARC’s number and compare to her ‘current’ ARC’s number. Most likely they are the same - the ARC has not been switched. The only thing that’s changed is the reason for having the ARC.

I would have checked about this with the NIA before having her status transferred to being dependent. Like the @finley said, just turn up to your NIA office, bring your wife’s ARC and ask.

AFAIK the only time that doesn’t count towards the 5 years for an APRC is time spent on a study ARC. Everything else counts towards the 5 year requirement, it doesn’t have to be work as it’s not the work permit you need to hold for 5 years but the ARC you need to hold for 5 years.

1 Like

Thank you all for your input. After talking to NIA, I think I have a handle on how the spouse-sponsored ARC applies towards an APRC. It’s a little confusing, and I’m still not sure I fully understand, but it seems as though it is only possible for time spent on a spouse-sponsored ARC to be applicable towards an APRC if the couple have property in Taiwan valued at 5,000,000NT or more.

Or if your spouse has 5 million NT in the bank. That should work as well.

Oh. that sucks

That was more or less my reaction.

let me see if I understand this post, as I am also in the same situation. I’m a Canadian with an APRC and just married an American. Through me, he got his ARC. He wants to eventually change this into an APRC. He can do this after the required 5 years and we also need to have 5 million in the bank…?? Is this what I understand to be the requirement… please clarify and thanks

Yep. As long as you have 5 million NT or the equivalent thereof in a joint account or jointly owned property, you’re in the clear.