Spouses of foreign white-collar workers can now work in Taiwan

TAIPEI (Taiwan News)—Taiwan’s Ministry of Labor (MOL) has announced that work restrictions placed on spouses of foreign white-collar workers will be relaxed to allow them to do short-term work.

• Not subject to the restrictions of having a capital of NT$5 million and revenues of NT$10 million
  • Must earn same minimum wage for foreigners in Taiwan (NT$47,971 or NTD 200 per hour)
1 Like

Very nice. I wonder where to find more information on this.

Would this mean that spouses of APRC holders can work?

So the spouses wouldn’t need a work permit?

There appears to be nothing about it on the MOL’s website yet. It’ll probably come in the next few days.

They can be paid hourly wages, but the pay rate must be based on the standard salary of NT$47,971 (about US$1,600), which is about NT$200 per hour, the ministry said.

That’s some funny math they have there. :2cents:

47971/200 works out to a 10 or 11 hour work day, I guess that’s standard for many Taiwanese. Still, a good change that will be welcome by many expat families.

But that implies they’re actually paid for the hours that they work!

But… only the minimum wage?! I don’t get it…

It’s probably just a misleading translation.

Yea its probably that the salary has to be at least the minimum wage.

It has to be the minimum wage for white collar foreigners.

1 Like

Minimum wage for white collar foreigners broken down into hourly rates. So you don’t need to find a job that pays >47k NTD/mth.

Sounds pretty good for spouses who want to work but depends on the other conditions I guess.