Spring Scream Fallout and Tragedy 2011

[quote=“navillus”][quote=“tsukinodeynatsu”]I was down in Kending yesterday, that road is hell even when you’re sober. Scariest road I’ve been on in Taiwan so far (haven’t been on Suao-Hualian yet, before someone says it…)

And yes, the buses are 24-7, but rather nausea-inducing.[/quote]

Where are you coming from? The road from Kaohsiung has two lanes going in both directions for most of the way, with very wide scooter lanes. Nothing to be scared of. I rode my bicycle down for the weekend and had no problems at all.[/quote]

On the road near Kending. It’s wide and easy to drive, but people drive like nutters on it - which is where the difficult bit kicks in.

I never really liked it anyway, but I liked it less the other day because I was on a terrible scooter.

Well, no one in Kending is renting scooters to foreigners now unless they have a Taiwan or International drivers license …you might be able to find one guy to do it, but thats only if his women (I’m assuming wife and daughters) dont catch him and run out and yell at him first.

As for the tragic news, thats really sad. What an awful way to end whats supposed to be a fun time. Its so sad when stuff like that happens.

[quote=“NomNomTaiwan”]Well, no one in Kending is renting scooters to foreigners now unless they have a Taiwan or International drivers license …you might be able to find one guy to do it, but thats only if his women (I’m assuming wife and daughters) dont catch him and run out and yell at him first.

As for the tragic news, thats really sad. What an awful way to end whats supposed to be a fun time. Its so sad when stuff like that happens.[/quote]

Very sad news and my feelings go out to the loved ones of the guy who died.

Kenting is bad for traffic accidents even by Taiwan standards. What you would expect from a party town where young people go and get drunk. A foreign friend of mine down there who owns a local restaurant has personally lost two friends to accidents there. I am not sure about the road north from Hengchun to Kaohsiung, but I have ridden the Hengchun-Nanwan-Kenting road and it’s full of pot holes that you need to swerve to avoid, so you are very prone to being wiped out by a careless and maybe drunk car drivers.

It should still be possible to find a place to rent a scooter there without a TW or international drivers licence. There’s a place in Nanwan near to the Baozhi food stand who I used before and were pretty laid back about that kind of thing- not sure if they would be more uptight now after this accident.

[quote]Yeah, our duty editor was getting an earful on the phone from some bozo complaining that we referred to arrests that took place down there as being made at Spring Scream. Deeply, deeply righteously righteous, but he wasn’t doing a very good job of persuading the 60-something editor that Spring Scream refers to only a tiny part of the festivities. :laughing:
Whether the Spring Scream organizers like it or not, the annual Kending weekend IS known to all and sundry as Spring Scream and has been for many years now.[/quote]

The PingTung police department does not refer to all the festivities in Kenting as Spring Scream. The Kenting National Park does not refer to all the festivities as Spring Scream. All the the people that came to Spring Scream do not refer to all the other festivities as Spring Scream. The official name for that weekend is 春天音樂季。That was adopted almost 5 years ago by the Pingtung Government and Kenting National Park.
The non-factual articles in the press are a result of lazy journalism, bad reporting and sensationalism. The editors deserve more than an earful. There were no arrests at Spring Scream this year. There has never been an arrest at Spring Scream in its 17 year history.
Here’s the real story: 200 bands and DJs from Taiwan and the rest of the world rocked out for 4 days. Kids, young adults, parents, grandparents, friends old and new, from all corners of the planet played, listened, danced and had a good old festive time surrounded by a one of Taiwan’s most beautiful landscapes, Erluanbi Lighthouse National Park.
Thanks to all, who came and played, enjoyed, and supported. We apologize on behalf of the press if these articles caused you any grief when you got home or went back to your jobs. Hopefully they can get their facts straight next time. Rock on.

[quote=“ThreadKiller”][quote=“marcus a”]The funny thing is that everyone just uses the generic “Spring Scream” term when none of the above parties were Spring Scream. They were both the Coors Light Beach Party at Xiao Wan. Good times.

If you wanna see some pics from Friday and Saturday (with a ton of others coming this week), check out waakao.com for all the goodness.[/quote]

Yup - newspaper retractions are often in small print on the second page. In the Taipei Times today:

A Taiwanese bird shit collector (newspaper) made a mistake!!!