STAR WARS Episode 7 *Spoiler alert*

[quote=“ranlee”][quote=“Taiwanguy”][quote=“Rockefeller”]
By the way, Idk if it’s been discussed, but how come none of the villains’ names were darth-something? Clearly the supreme leader, from both marketing and in the film portray him as a master of the dark side of the force. Kylo Ren’s just been marketed/presented as that name, not Darth Kylo Ren. I thought all Siths had that prefix.[/quote]

He’s not Sith. They didn’t go into it in the movie yet, but marketing materials have stated that Kylo Ren is a member of the Knights of Ren. I assume that “Ren” is a title/rank of that organization much like “Darth” is a title/rank of the Sith. It is clear that the Knights of Ren are trained in the Dark Side of the Force, but it is unclear what their relationship is to the Sith. Are they the remnants of the Sith? Have they overthrown the Sith? Are they wannabe Sith? Are they a competing Dark Side clan to the Sith? We don’t know yet. Or it may even be possible that “Ren” is not a title/rank of the organization and, instead, the group is named after Kylo Ren. Perhaps when Kylo Ren rebelled against his master (Luke) and turned on the Jedi, he and his fellow traitors called themselves the Knights of Ren…

With regards to Kylo Ren…

Have we all established that Kylo Ren is indeed a padawan learner of Luke turned Dark Side? I mean all fingers point in that direction, but it’s still assumption at this point, right?

Han said as much, right? He said that Kylo, his son, was being trained by Luke and rebelled. Han also said that Kylo murdered all of Luke’s other apprentices. Leia, later on, states that he was seduced to the Dark Side by Snoke.

So…it seems like the name Ren is, in fact, a title and that the Knights of Ren pre-date Kylo Ren.

Abrams said this in an interview:
“He is a character who came to the name Kylo Ren when he joined a group called the Knights of Ren,”

[quote=“Taiwanguy”]

Han said as much, right? He said that Kylo, his son, was being trained by Luke and rebelled. Han also said that Kylo murdered all of Luke’s other apprentices. Leia, later on, states that he was seduced to the Dark Side by Snoke.

Ok, I have already forgot that part.

This may be a clear sign I may have to see it again to stay up to speed with this conversation. :ponder: :ponder:

[quote=“lostinasia”]
On the final scene:

presumably Luke’s force-sense should have told him that Han has died; and his normal senses should have made him aware that the Millennium Falcon landed a couple of kilometers away. (The guy could have gone down the stairs a bit, but whatever.) And I assume that Luke left the map for a reason - he planned for someone to find him, presumably if the need arose, or particular circumstances were met. He shouldn’t be shocked that someone has come, but perhaps he’s shocked about who it is.

Agreed. It’s the -who- has come. Also agreed on the former:

Leia felt it when Han died - There was no way she could have seen what was happening in there yet she clearly broke when Han fell.

[quote=“lostinasia”]

When Rey was going up the stairs, there was some kind of little wooden box at one point. Did I imagine that? Anyone have any ideas what that was?

I too thought it was a box, but then upon third viewing it looks more like a small stool.

@lostinasia More on luke:

[spoiler]Apparently luke did speak in a cut scene, which made the edit in the film’s teaser trailer (below). Who is he talking to? Obviously someone in his family, that much is clear - But who? Flashback* Ben, when he was still Ben?

*I assume it would have been from a flashback - since we never saw the full story on how Snoke(?) seduced him to the dark side, it makes sense they shot some stuff but decided to cut it for pacing/other reasons[/spoiler]

Exhibit A:

Also: How cute is BB-8! Can’t get over it. Ahh I want one.

Heh. “Upon third viewing.”

On Luke & trailer dialogue and the possibility of a cut scene:

[spoiler][quote=“Rockefeller”]Apparently luke did speak in a cut scene, which made the edit in the film’s teaser trailer (below). Who is he talking to? Obviously someone in his family, that much is clear.[/quote]
Almost all of that is from Return of the Jedi, although apparently Hamill re-recorded it for the trailer. It’s pretty much beat for beat from Luke’s speech to Leia before he goes off to fight Vader, all except the “and you have it, too” line. I don’t think that was ever in the film at all, but was just intended as a connection to the Sacred Trilogy. It does strongly suggest that Rey is in Luke’s family, of course.

Here’s a YouTube video comparison from someone who has even more time on their hands to think about this film than we do.[/spoiler]

[quote=“Icon”][quote=“Rockefeller”]I know for a fact there are casual moviegoers who are curious about Star Wars reactions to get them off the darn fence (beats me, I see this has a total no-brainer).

Feel free to post spoilers guys, but let’s just give the regular folk at least one week for them to see the film. I kindly ask you to add the spoiler tag until Saturday morning. I’ll likely merge another thread here when time comes as well.

Thanks guys, and may the Force be with you.[/quote]

[/quote]
Apurate Icon! So you can tell us what you think.

[quote=“lostinasia”]Heh. “Upon third viewing.”
[/quote]
Hey look, when you are from a town where awards voters heavily populate (and/or you work in the industry), studios tend to hold multiple screenings for pictures they want considered. Then if it so happens a great film comes along that you wouldn’t mind rewatching AND it costs you nothing? Saying no to that just seems arrogant and plain silly. (Ps. Not saying TFA doesn’t deserve my $ - it totally does - I’m considering paying for that mythical 4DX experience I’ve heard so much about, which is like $20+tax or something crazy)

[quote=“lostinasia”]

[spoiler][quote=“Rockefeller”]Apparently luke did speak in a cut scene, which made the edit in the film’s teaser trailer (below). Who is he talking to? Obviously someone in his family, that much is clear.[/quote]
Almost all of that is from Return of the Jedi, although apparently Hamill re-recorded it for the trailer. It’s pretty much beat for beat from Luke’s speech to Leia before he goes off to fight Vader, all except the “and you have it, too” line. I don’t think that was ever in the film at all, but was just intended as a connection to the Sacred Trilogy. It does strongly suggest that Rey is in Luke’s family, of course.

Here’s a YouTube video comparison from someone who has even more time on their hands to think about this film than we do.[/spoiler][/quote]
Iiiiiidontknow man, I like my Ben theory, lol (you don’t?!). I also like how you added that period in my quote there. #Punctuation, y’all.

Go ahead, I am in no rush, too busy until year end and beyond. Too many people, anyways. And I am a Trekkie first, dimmit, a hunter, a Whovian, and general sci-fi/fantasy -where I put SW- fan. IMAX 3D is like 440 ntd here, usual 3D is 380 ntd.

For your enjoyment:

Is IMAX 3D really worth it?

The movie wasn’t shot with 3D cameras, what is?

On the trailer dialogue

[quote=“lostinasia”]Heh. “Upon third viewing.”

Here’s a YouTube video comparison from someone who has even more time on their hands to think about this film than we do.[/spoiler][/quote]

Think or theorize all you want, I really think that the line, “you have it”, was just to hype the movie.

I still stand strong with mine and lostinasia’s theory that Rey…

is a nobody or not related to Han/Leia/Luke. I would really like to see a new spin to the storyline, otherwise we’ll be watching a 2010 version of Empire Strikes Back in Episode VIII.

Personally imax is worth it, not so much 3d though.

[quote=“ranlee”]Is IMAX 3D really worth it?

The movie wasn’t shot with 3D cameras, what is?

Think or theorize all you want, I really think that the line, “you have it”, was just to hype the movie.
[/quote]
Why you gotta hate on my flashback Ben lol. Before lostinasia gives you his (or her?) counter, just let me pop in and say I’d love to see a well done deleted scene where Ben was still a good kid. If nothing it adds even more depth to the character - we’ve had enough villains in movie history that are pure Evil points pinky to corner of mouth. Plus, that means we’d also get more Luke (which would have been nice).

[quote=“Rockefeller”]
Why you gotta hate on my flashback Ben lol. Before lostinasia gives you his (or her?) counter, just let me pop in and say I’d love to see a well done deleted scene where Ben was still a good kid. If nothing it adds even more depth to the character - we’ve had enough villains in movie history that are pure Evil points pinky to corner of mouth. Plus, that means we’d also get more Luke (which would have been nice).[/quote]

but then it would be super difficult to make Kylo Ren remain a cool bad guy when they try to explain why he turned bad. there is no way they can pull that off without making Kylo Ren looking more like a whimpy moaner.

Saw the film tonight in Banciao. Some random observations:

The acting was better than I expected (with the exception of Carrie Fisher, who often looked sheepish revisiting her role). Lots of loopy holes in the plot. The final scene was fantastic. Daisy Ridley rocks!

Guy

Best acting in a Star Wars film ever, I think. (“Rather a low bar”, sniffs Alec Guiness’s force ghost from the afterlife.) Try describing the personalities of the characters in this film. Pretty easy. Now try doing it for the characters in the prequels … you probably can’t.

I really liked the last scene, and I’m a little surprised at how many reviewers and commenters seem to dislike it (not here, other places). “Star Wars doesn’t do helicopter shots!” Well heck, it does now, and it was nice to see something that wasn’t recycled! “But it’s just setting up the next movie!” And this is a problem how, exactly?

Fun prediction I heard in a podcast (Vassals of Kingsgrove) today:

Luke will train Rey exactly the same way Yoda trained him. First he’ll joke with her and claim he’s heard of this Skywalker fellow, and maybe steal her food. Then she’ll have to run around with Mark Hamill sitting on her shoulders.

A scene where Ren was a good kid: maybe one where he wins a pod race? Or falls in love with a woman who he mistakes for an angel? Maybe he’ll wax poetic about sand. Be careful what you wish for!

Loopy holes in the plot: yup. It may be the greatest B+ movie I’ve ever seen, and it was immense fun in the theatre. But those plot oddities stop it from getting an A grade (the resistance are resisting … another regime? Isn’t that what you’d call the Republic’s army? And what were those planets that were destroyed, and why did you try to make us care about it when no one in the film apparently gave a damn? And JJ, stop making films in which characters see other planets get destroyed! Space doesn’t work that way!). Kind of like Doctor Who or, um, almost everything JJ Abrams has been involved with - great fun as long as you don’t think about it too much.

Theories on Rey:

My theory is that she’s somehow related to the Skywalker clan - most likely Luke’s daughter, I suppose. But I hope that she’s unrelated because tying the fate of the galaxy to the fate of three generations in a row of the same family makes the Force look like a bit of a dick.

[quote=“hansioux”][quote=“Rockefeller”]
Why you gotta hate on my flashback Ben lol. Before lostinasia gives you his (or her?) counter, just let me pop in and say I’d love to see a well done deleted scene where Ben was still a good kid. If nothing it adds even more depth to the character - we’ve had enough villains in movie history that are pure Evil points pinky to corner of mouth. Plus, that means we’d also get more Luke (which would have been nice).[/quote]

but then it would be super difficult to make Kylo Ren remain a cool bad guy when they try to explain why he turned bad. there is no way they can pull that off without making Kylo Ren looking more like a whimpy moaner.

It would be super difficult, no doubt. Perhaps that’s why they for Ep 8 they hired one of the guys who helped make an aging mr chips-type suburban dad turn into a widely beloved scarface-y meth kingpin.

[quote=“lostinasia”]
A scene where Ren was a good kid: maybe one where he wins a pod race? Or falls in love with a woman who he mistakes for an angel? Maybe he’ll wax poetic about sand. Be careful what you wish for![/quote]
Yes. That’s exactly what I want. I want THAT, dammit, and let’s throw darth jar jar in there while we’re at it :smiling_imp: .

I actually thought about that lol. You’re the best. Or if you rather, your podcast choices are the best. That would look glorious and someone needs to spoof it on youtube or somewhere.

@afterspivak @lostinasia
Yeah, great acting. On plot: I think this one they really went back to the roots and as per the original film, it was made for the kids (whether biological age or age at heart). From the opening scroll onwards, where it was the John Williams fanfare, and then the big logo, the first words came up: “Luke Skywalker has vanished.”, I was all like Yas! in my head, because it wasn’t about some tax laws, trade route agreements, congress debates, blah blah blah… This saga has always been a bit of a kid’s film at heart for me, and yeah, while a flawless plot would have been nice for my intellectual mind, I think (for at least this first one) I can forgive all that and just go on the ride. There are so much else to enjoy :slight_smile:

Jar Jar is Snoke. Just saying.

What I would like to see in the next movies:

Rey being trained by Luke, and Kylo ren being trained by Snoke. We’ve never seen Dark Side training.

Theory about the villain that has been going around:

Snoke is Darth Plagueis, the only one who has ever achieved the power to cheat death

Theory about the origin of the hero that has been going around:

Rey is Luke’s daughter. There are a number of clues in this movie that point to it.

I know it’s not likely, but I’m kind of hoping that Finn is the son of Leia and Lando from that time in Cloud City, wokka wokka wokka :sunglasses:

[quote=“Chris”]What I would like to see in the next movies:

Rey being trained by Luke, and Kylo ren being trained by Snoke. We’ve never seen Dark Side training.

[/quote]
That could potentially be so cool. Dark side training. Lots of pain and anger and (one would imagine) force lightning on unsuspecting victims mwahahaaha.

[quote=“hansioux”][quote=“Rockefeller”]
Yes. That’s exactly what I want. I want THAT, dammit, and let’s throw darth jar jar in there while we’re at it :smiling_imp: .
[/quote]

Jar Jar is Snoke.

Totally. #jarjarforsupremeleader2017

I know, right? Unfortunately Star Wars is a Disney property so that could never happen. Especially when Han, you know. That would be a kick right on his ghost shins.

Side note - Is it just me or do some of you guys also hope ghost Yoda or Obi-Wan would make some form of (visual) appearance? We heard their voices call to Rey but never saw them. I sorta want to see one of those ghost jedi, and it only makes sense, right? Why would the ghosts just ignore the only two surviving jedi and not provide some guidance or support.

P.s. Is the plural of jedi, jedis? Or just jedi… :ponder: :idunno:

Plural of jedi is still jedi.

Plural of sith is also just sith.

It’s what most people support on the internet, backed by movie scripts.

If there’s a group of people called Jedi here on Earth, I’d imagine they’d be called Jedis, similar to people of Thailand are referred to as Thais. Since it’s a fictional universe, whatever is in the script is cannon.

I forget if this was brought up earlier in the thread, but apparently in early planning Anakin’s evil Foce ghost was supposed to return. I have no idea why Anakin would have two different Force ghosts floating around.

I’m not so sure about Dark Side training in Part II. Kylo Ren was wonderfully perfectly emo - it’s amazing to me they managed to maintain that precarious a balance. But going any further in that direction could be a bad idea.

[quote=“lostinasia”]
I’m not so sure about Dark Side training in Part II. Kylo Ren was wonderfully perfectly emo - it’s amazing to me they managed to maintain that precarious a balance. But going any further in that direction could be a bad idea.[/quote]

All the movies have always been about the Jedi and the Dark Side/Sith were always a mystery. I think keeping with this theme would be a good way to go. I personally feel it’s more interesting not knowing what the Sith will do next. However, it would be interesting to see two sides of the spectrum being trained and then having a clash at the end of the movie.

The Darth Jar Jar theory is almost too legit to believe. I’m pretty people would be in a love/hate relationship with him though, but I would never take Star Wars seriously…ever, if Jar Jar reappeared in a SW movie.