STAR WARS ROGUE ONE Discussion Thread

Confession time: one of my best friends thinks #3 is the best in the whole series, and #7 is worse than any of the prequels.

To be very honest, I enjoyed Episode 1.

Pod racing, the two vs one (double ended) lightsaber duel, finally seeing Couruscant and BAMF Qui Gon won me over.

Hayden Christensen ruined Ep2-3 for me (and everyone else too)

If Episode 3 were ONLY ā€œThe duel of the fatesā€, starting after Obi-Wan says ā€œOnly a Sith deals in absolute, Iā€™ll do what I mustā€ā€¦then heā€™s not insane.

Episodes 1-3 were all pretty awful, ruined by boring dialogue, lame characters, unconvincing acting and especially the chintzy, lifeless CGI. But the battle on the lava flow in Episode 3 was still an awesome bit of cinema, a beautifully designed set piece.

@ranlee Yep, him and K2SO, dude. Boy oh boy did they make you feel it

@IbisWtf I hear ya. Money adds up. It always saddens me to see lazy filmmakers who donā€™t put their best into making the audiencesā€™ time and money worth it

I watched it. I on on the fence. I donā€™t understand where they were going with it. I read that there were some serious remakes of scenes taking place last summer so they probablymade a serious war movie and the producers said no. Must be more Disney with cheesy one liners and simplified protagonists and therefore the whole movie is one big wtf. I donā€™t think I should be thinking about Aleppo during a star wars movie and I was. The main male protagonist should be charismatic not sad and self doubting. The female one should be cocky not indifferent. Forrest Whitaker and the two Chinese were absolutely useless. Their roles seemed to be written last minute because Chinese producers wanted to see more Asians. And one with some Asian superpowers with was out of place.

Weird movie with some really great special effects.
Oh and the 70s look was taken too far, I managed to watch all seasons of bloodline without noticing that Ben mendelhson has such awful teeth. I really donā€™t need to know that.

What do you mean where they were going with it? This entire movie was made to explain one of the biggest plot holes in the original Star Wars saga. (How could a weapon such as the Death Star have such a whack ass weakness)

Why ā€œshouldā€ Andor be charismatic? Just because Luke was? Just because every other movie the main character is like that? Weā€™ve seen the main character having that trait inā€¦pretty much every other movie. Iā€™m glad they made him uncertain about his role as a rebel.

Did you watch the same movie as us? Saw Garrera aka Forrest Whitaker ā€œsavedā€ Jyn and trained her. If heā€™s so useless and didnā€™t need to be in the movie, might as well have paid money for the first 10 mins of the movie and then a black screen in which Jyn is in a hole. No thank you.

Chirrut Ǝmwe, Donnie Yenā€™s character, also a very important character, not even for the movie, but for the Star Wars Universe. He was the last guardian of the temple that provided the fuel, kyber crystals, to the Death Starā€™s main weapon. His death in the movie also helps the theory in the extinction of Jedi because no guardian to the temple meant no kyber crystals, which meant nolightsabers. No lightsabers meant Jedi are weaponless. A jedi without a weapon, is a dead Jedi. Thus, the extinction of Jedis.

Personally, Baze Malbus maybe couldā€™ve been left out of the story, he didnā€™t play the biggest of roles, but I did enjoy his character. Him and Chirrut were a very odd couple, just as Han and Chewie were.

I would hardly consider Chirrut as to having super powers. He was just skilled with weapons and the Force was with him and he was one with the Force.

Did they pull in some Chinese viewers to the film with the Asian duo? Probably. Was it a money grab? Possibly. I still donā€™t see how thatā€™s an issue. If you were director/producer, would you not make your movie marketable to sayā€¦a billion people?

How can it be taken too far when the movie was supposed to be made you think it was filmed in the 70s. This is when Star Wars: A New Hope was released in 1977. The plot of Rogue One takes place a few days before the main credit roll of Star Wars: A New Hope.

/nerd

1 Like

I explained everything already why and why not in my previous post.
You dont have to agree with me but dont ask me questions I already answered.

No, I wouldnā€™t write meaningless roles for Asian characters just to make money, I would make them meaningful. The same way I wouldnā€™t remove black actors from official posters in certain countries to make more money. Both moves are deeply racist.

And: I understand what a Jedi is and why such character is important for a Star Wars movie, but this movie is supposed to look more realistic, there were no major Jedi and force references throughout the movie and all of the sudden Donnie Wang starts walking among bullets and nothing happens and this is when the audience started to laugh. And there were some SW nerds sitting among us. It was just all weird and mixed.

Great way to ignore my response. A lot of the questions were rhetorical.

How this movie ā€œsupposed toā€ look more realistic? What is realistic about Star Wars?! Part of the movie title is, Star Wars.

No major Jedi or Force references? The empire taking kyber crystals is a major reference to the Jedi and the Force, Chirrut was a believer of the Force. This was made very obvious when his first line in the movie was ā€œMay the Force be with youā€. How are their no references? Or wait, sorry, did you answer that question already?

Donnie Yen

I can assure you that as an SW nerd, we were not laughing at the idea that Chirrut was ā€œdodgingā€ blasters because it was ridiculous and couldnā€™t happen, but mostly because it was funny and absolutely bad ass.

Why are you talking about yourself as we?

Are you a king?

We = the people in the audience, probably.

No, ranlee used the royal we in the first post as well. Asking me if I wtched a different movie than some mysterious us.

I all come back later next week and expand more by what I meant by various statements in my posts. If someoneā€™s really interested. Because I have a feeling that ranlee is not really interested.

I thought the look of the film was great. It matched the aesethetic of the first Star Wars quite well (arguably too well, with Vaderā€™s costume looking more like the slightly crappy ā€œNew Hopeā€ version rather than the cooler ā€œEmpireā€ version). At least it seemed in the same universe, unlike a lot of what happened in the prequels.

Having Asians in the Star Wars universe was cool, and having two guys who, to me at least, seemed to easily be read as a gay couple, was even cooler. (I didnā€™t see them that way until the end, but their deaths was so tragi-romantic that my inner voice was shouting ā€œHoly shit theyā€™re gay! Why didnā€™t I see that?! Awesome!ā€) Of course Disney had to pander to the audience by also including a bunch of white folks, but whatever, thatā€™s just how films make money. (I was really glad there was only the tiniest hint of romance in the final death on the beach - just two people who had been through a lot together, holding each other at the end.)

Iā€™m not so sure about the accented line-readings. Lots of people seem to have liked Donnie Yenā€™s lines, but I wasnā€™t a huge fan of either his or Diego Lunaā€™s delivery. But even with iffy line readings, I thought Chirrut and the droid were the only two characters who were anywhere near as interesting to watch as the Poe / Finn / Rey triad in ā€œForce Awakensā€.

(Ranlee, have you actually learned these names?! I keep scrolling back to your posts to see what these characters are called.)

I heard one discussion on how the film wasnā€™t as Disneyfied as the filmmakers expected; early scripts had everyone die, and the writers thought Disney would say ā€œNo, you canā€™t do thatā€, but those messages never came - hence the bloodbath.

The story beats could have used some work. Forrest Whitakerā€™s character probably should have been given more to do, or nothing at all - there wasnā€™t much that distinguished him from other rebels, apart from that mind-flayer-octopus thingy, but that didnā€™t seem to cause the promised insanity anyway. Jyn wasnā€™t really in favor of the Rebels, and was only convinced to join the clause when ā€¦ the Rebel Alliance killed her father?! That being said, Star Wars isnā€™t exactly a franchise that has the most logical stories, what with Luke apparently in training as a Jedi for weeks while Han and Leia seem to take about 48 hours to flee Hoth, dodge some asteroids, wind up in Cloud City, and get taken by Vader.

On CGI: odd how different the reactions seem to be. I thought Tarkin looked awful, and I have little idea what actually happened during those scenes because my consciousness was being consumed by the freakiness that was his face. But I was totally fine with Leia. My response doesnā€™t seem unusual, yet others seem to be totally the opposite.

Tbh, I had to check up how to spell Chirrut and Baze Malbus. Iā€™ve left Chirrutā€™s last name out because I have zero clues how to type that accent.

I read (or saw) on Youtube when JJ Abrams got intereviewed about if gay/lesbian couples could exist in the SW universe. He never said ā€œyesā€, but responded to the reporter with something along the lines of ā€œI donā€™t see how it isnā€™t possible. Star Wars is such a huge and vast universe!ā€

About the final sceneā€¦YES! I 100% agree. The whole film I was waiting for Jyn and Andor to justā€¦make out. Iā€™m pretty sure others were thinking the same, but dat Disney. I like how it was completely different from what we normally expect from the two main characters in any movie, not just Disney.

About the Disneyfiedā€¦ My friends had a bet going on about on whether they would all die or not at the end. The line from A New Hope, suggests that they all die. At the end of the day, nobody lost because nobody took the odds haha.

The CGI peopleā€¦ We saw much more of Tarkin than Leia, so you had a lot of time to be ā€œfreaked outā€ by Tarkin than Leia. We saw her for a goodā€¦2 seconds?

I got one thing to ask, what do you think about when Bail Organa was going to contact his power friend? Itā€™s clearly Obi-Wan, but does this mean that Obi Wan knew that the droids would crash on Tatooine and eventually make their way to Luke? So he came out of hiding? Idk, confused about that part.

I finally saw it. I actually liked it more than episode 7. But again, Iā€™m tired of the skywalker and empire timeline. Any Star Wars fan knows there were much more interesting characters and time periods that they could have done the movie on. The only thing Iā€™d liked about the setting and time line is it finally puts why the hell there was that one weakness in the Death Star.

I also liked the character development in such a short time and how much I began to grow attached to their faits. and the more realistic senerios vs the good guys always win Disney style film. So that was a surprise. But finally they put Asian characters which I was happy and not so happy with. Basically one was a stereotypical Asian shoalin monk that uses the force va chi or qui(however itā€™s spelled). So didnā€™t like that. Iā€™d like to see an Asian Jedi for once.

But again. I hope they explore different characters like qui gon Jinn. The guy was a bad ass. He was like anikan. Defiant of the council but respected it in its own way. And very force sensitive. Or the story of yoda before he was a Jedi master. Or it must be 2 sky walker stories ld like to see is when anikan went to train all those years. Or when he kills and wipe out almost all of the Jedi.

Tables will be flipped if the main character of Episode 7 is related to the Skywalker family or if sheā€™s a Kenobi.

I never really got that feeling. I just thought it was awesome that he was part of the main castā€¦in a Star Wars movie. Thatā€™s huge for an Asian actor.

Dudeā€¦thatā€™s Episode 3 :wink:

not really, it just shows him going to the jedi temple and the kids are like hey master skywalker whats up and his lightsaber goes up and we are left with our imagination. It doesnt actually show Vader hunting down Jedi, Iā€™d like to see more light saber battles to be honest with the new CGI today.

Like I said, i was happy to see an asian actor in the main cast. But like go watch any old Chinese/TW/HK movie. And even the way he is dressed. Like heā€™s dressed shall be say ā€œorientalā€ itā€™s just like super odd for me. He just looks like he is out of place with his costume.

True. Not sure what the official timeline is, but Iā€™m sure thereā€™s books that write about how he did it.

Rumors are that thereā€™s a standalone Han Solo movie in the works. Thatā€™s something I would like to see, but would be tough to see someone else in Harrison Fordā€™s role.