startup...

Okay I would like to start a discussion to get everyone’s opinion…

I’m considering starting up a pastry store in Taipei (i’m a European pastry chef already living here)

Now most business biggest problem is staffing and the instability of it… Now I know that most companies cause this themselves because of squeezing every employee beyond limits… but…

What if I would do it differently… I’m suggesting fair payments (above average), no regular or planned overtime only if it’s really necessary and it would be payed…actual working hours, max 8 a day and only 5 day’s a week… and something like 10 payed holiday’s a year…

Bare with me… these are just ideas I’m shooting…

Do you think I would be able to find loyal employees, do you have any other tips or do you think it wouldn’t work at all because of it would make my business unprofitable…

Any suggestions are appreciated but please keep it positive…

Thanks guys…

Taiwan has an abundance of hard working loyal workers. That will be the least of your problems.

We are all aware of the long hours and low wages for restaurant/shop work, but this isn’t specific to Taiwan. It’s just more noticeable since you’re living here.

Try doing a little research on the universities that have culinary programs and see if you can get an agreement with them. This way, you may get an unlimited supply of workers that want to be there (they also have to be there to get credits) and learn. Issue is whether they are competent and the high employee turnover. We all know you could have the class No.1 come to your shop to work and end up being book smart, but not street smart.

I think it’s a great idea that you are going outside the norm and treating your employees well. However, I think there’s a lot of different factors playing into this including how much you’re paying for rent, utilities, raw materials, equipment and so on and so forth.

Some of the more successful service oriented industries I’ve seen link business success to staff bonus’ rather than simply paying higher wages and hoping for the best. You need to garner employee loyalty through treating good employees well rather than treating employees well and hoping they will be good.

1 Like

Thanks Super… although basic… but good advice!

Materials, equipment etc etc… I can control… staff however… haha :wink:

And taste. don’t forget that people here find “too sweet” things that are sweet by definition in Europe… and then they have other shit that is overly sweet, but they don’t complain about it. And the toppings…

By the time you get started the number of holidays may be 12 again. Those are separate from annual leave, which starts at 7 days after one year of service (0 for the first year) and slowly increases over the years, not to mention sick leave, maternity/paternity leave, etc.

Don’t forget insurance premiums.

Simple, foreign things are always too sweet because foreigners like sweet things, Taiwanese made are never too sweet because Taiwanese don’t like sweet things. The next time you’re gagging on a Pearl Milk Tea with 100ml of corn syrup in it, remember, it’s not sweet!

“Not sweet enough” is something I’ve heard many times, but I’m scratching my head trying to think of when I might have heard a Taiwanese, or any Asian in Asia, call something “too sweet”.

I hear it every day. From the wife

Thanks Jesus80,

No worries I’ve worked here many years and pretty familiar with Taiwanese taste

It’s very hard, but somehow I’m resisting the temptation to use a comeback.

Say it :smiley: