Steak in Taiwan. The good, the bad, the ugly.

Unfortunately in taiwan yes. I lived in Texas for a long time. I know my steaks.

1 Like

Costco is steak is ok. But if you want truly great steak, you need to go to a restaurant that can import exactly what they want, know how to treat and prepare the steak, and know how to cook the steak.

But if youā€™re pallet isnā€™t so picky. Costco and like a Texas road house will do for you. Even though I find Texas road house steaks disgusting, my friends who donā€™t know better seem to love it.

If this is an indirect invite to your place for steak, Iā€™m in. You import the beef, prep the beef, cut the beef and Iā€™ll bring the wineā€¦and a hot date.

1 Like

In this weather, Iā€™m pretty hot @ranlee. Just saying.

Haha. Maybe Iā€™ll write a thread about all the best steak houses in taipei. Thereā€™s a couple. Not all of them are ridiculously expensive, in fact many expensive places are actually awful. The best steak I had here is imported from a place in Italy, prepared correctly why the Italian chef from that location, and cooked to perefection. Itā€™s really large and only 3k, enough for 2 normal people.

Iā€™ve eating steak up to 15k and itā€™s been a hit or miss. Expensive is not always better. Itā€™s all about where the meat is imported and knowing how to prepare the steak in a variety of way, which could take days, months, and of course cooking it. Itā€™s an art.

Sharing is caring!

Gee, I do not come from a place where we had filet mignon on our table every day, but my country of origin exported meat to US, top notch. At least when I was little, you could get tasty cuts, but I know many of those cuts now are extremely expensive - land especulation led to drastic reduction in cattle ranches. Money laundry is easier and faster.

First of all, locals that eat beef -which is no go in Buddist/Taoist circles, which is why we are stuck with pork burgers and pork hot dogs everywhere- do it like in beef noodles or other favor other cuts that are not steak, so steak is premium.

Foreigners, who should be making at least twice what locals do, as per local labor law, and hence, we should be able to eat steak if we feel like it. The thing is that if I know that a 150 ntd steak is more glue than meat, then I have to look for other options. Costco is only US meant, which as said, is not the highest quality due to chemicals, maybe then I can buy Australian at say City Super/Jasonā€™s? Or treat me once a month on payday to a 400 to 700 ntd steak at a couple of places I know do it just right. Like when I was a student and payday fare was 100 ntd steak at My Home Steak -all you can eat for 100 ntd. That was some time ago.

When I was a student I couldnā€™t eat everything I wanted because it was a bit out of my budget and/or I did not knwo where to get it at a reaosnable price for good tasty fare. However, when I started working, I could have chocolate cake and steak and cheese and other stuff I couldnā€™t before. Later I learned to read labels and the news kept me updated with food scandals. That has shaped my choices more.

Also, just because itā€™s a fillet mignon does not always the mean itā€™s a good steak. Some chefs prefer other parts of the meat to cook and prepare for how they want it to taste. The best steaks Iā€™ve had were not fillet mignon

Costco Prime NY Stripā€¦Cheaper than any restaurant here and 10 times better.

1 Like

This! It seems they never get the grill hot enough so they donā€™t get a good seer.

Wow was it 15k for one person or the check was 15k

one person, there must have been a lot of 0s in the final checkā€¦I wasnā€™t the one picking it up. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

CostCo has USDA prime-graded and choice-graded steaks. Expensive as hell (for example, you get 3 cuts of prime sirloin together for about 2,000 NTD), but if you can cook them right theyā€™re worth it. Even the steaks at ā€œfancyā€ restaurants like Wangā€™s Steaks suck here. They seem gristley. And they canā€™t do Medium Rare, right. They literally donā€™t know what it means. They think the sight of a little blood in the steak means itā€™s undercooked. So whenever I order MR I always get it back Medium Wellā€¦ sigh. Want something done right, gotta do it yourself.

Donā€™t even get me started about Wang Steak. Itā€™s a good cheap special occasion spot, but gf and I left there after a bday celebration likeā€¦shit, might as well gone to a night market steak place for 1/4 of the price.

1 Like

You mean they fry the whole cow? wow :smiley:

What you say about the way itā€™s cooked is absolutely right.

I am almost Texan. I did go to a company dinner party at Mortonā€™s and it was good. I donā€™t want to know the price. I did eat some ribeye steak at Le Blanc on Daā€™an road and thought it was really good. They have Boston lobster for 1500 and steak for 1100. For the price, I prefer to buy steak from Costco and cook it myself. 4 big steaks for about 2K. Enough for about 8 normal people. I prefer American beef, but they do have Australian beef for those that are anti-American beef. Itā€™s cheaper, too.

at those places, yes, I would also cook my own from costco.

My wife prefers the Costco steaks I cook at home compared to anything from restaurants. We donā€™t even get the expensive cuts, we get the pack with 8/10 small steaks for 1800/2000nt and with some proper seasoning and cooking they taste much better than anything we tried in restaurants.

Iā€™m also a HUGE fan of Costcoā€™s beef mince for burgers and pasta sauces. It beats anything that isnā€™t Australian Angus beef.

1 Like

No one has good things to say about the night market steaks?

Honestly, itā€™s not the greatest, but I always put it on the list of things for friends visiting. Since they always ask ā€œWhat do the locals eat, I want to eat what the locals eatā€.

Costco has really big cuts of beef steak you can go buy :slight_smile:

1 Like