Steak in Taiwan. The good, the bad, the ugly.

Oh, I wouldn’t do it if my wife was at home, only when she’s in the office … anyway, I do most of the cooking. But there are plenty of restaurants that I think are good value for lunchtime specials, when I can eat in relative quiet, but just not worth it at night or on weekends when they’re crazy busy and often more expensive.

My (pretty limited!) guilt is somewhat assuaged by my wife being vegetarian; often she just wouldn’t enjoy the restaurants I go to without her. She is so sick of mushroom risotto, which seems to be one of the few vegetarian dishes at mid- to higher-range western places.

I’m interested, did you actually pay up to 15k NTD for steaks? I couldn’t part with that kind of money for any food unless it was a dinner I was hosting or something .

1 Like

Not me personally no. I was invited to a dinner where the host insisted.

Despite being in higher earner bracket for a salaried guy in Taiwan I’m either much poorer than I thought or a cheapskate or simply have different values . I don’t like celebrating chewing up animals even if they taste good.

1 Like

Depends how it’s done. Steak - much like Taiwanese food! - is, to me, totally fine, but I don’t really get the appeal. Give me ribs or brisket or something like that, however, and I’ll be very happy indeed.

I must have a puritan streak or something. I prefer roast beef or lamb anyway.
If I eat too much steak or beef I can’t handle it either . Literally CANT handle it.
Don’t know how folks can digest big steaks.

There’s another plus for eating in Taiwan - portion sizes. In many places here, I can actually eat an appetizer, main, and dessert. In North America? Not a friggin’ chance. I’m stuffed after just an appetizer.

I’m with you on eating big steaks. I do often enjoy steaks sliced and in a salad, for example - but as a big chunk? I get bored fast. When I was in Canada last summer, my parents and I were visiting some friends who very generously served us giant steak dinners - but my mother and I later commented to each other that it felt like we were five years old again, surreptiously moving food around on our plate that we didn’t want to eat, and not entirely sure how to tell our hosts that the hunks of meat we’d been given were about triple the size we could enjoy.

My favorite way to serve steak or any kind of BBQ’d meat for that matter, is to slice on a cutting board and put it in the middle of the table. Some salad, tortillas, salsa and dinner is served. I used to eat the giant steak dinner years ago, but my tastes have changed.

2 Likes

I remember trying Outback Steakhouse here (before they closed), and I was disappointed with the steak. It was tough and gristly. When I complained, I was told that that is how Taiwanese customers prefer it. I know Taiwanese people love gristle–it’s QQ!–but they can get that anywhere. I was expecting Western-quality steaks at what is supposed to be a Western chain; I didn’t want “localized” garbage.

How dare you say it’s fake profiles?!? It’s obviously just by chance that most of the recent reviewers all went to the same high school and all reviewed the same 4 places with 5 stars each :rofl:

No, that’s just standard restaurantese for “Pay up and piss off”.

Oh god, Outhouse Steakdumpster used to be here? Glad I missed that one.

I tried it in Korea once it was horrendous.

good authentic Korean BBQ. Now that I love. Not many in taipei.

1 Like

Good Korean BBQ is one of the things I miss the most about teaching in Seoul.

I’ve not found 1 that does it like they do in Korea, any suggestions?

It looks amazing. I doubt I’ll ever go though it’s like too expensive, but it looks good nonetheless.

yes my friend, it’s not cheap though. In neihu. Best korean BBQ in Taipei i’ve tasted.
https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g293913-d6140214-Reviews-Samwon_Garden_Korean_Bbq_House-Taipei.html

1 Like

It’s not super expensive but def not cheap. It’s all from scratch and imported stuff to make from Italy.

I feel like I should make a thread of all the best places in town and review them haha.