Steak in Taiwan. The good, the bad, the ugly.

Good Korean BBQ comes with a ton of side dishes which surprise surprise need to be paid for.

Not in a real Korean place. Side dishes are unlimited in Korea, if the owners are Korean, they would get shit on if they did such a thing. Good side dish is a compliment to patron and in return patrons will take notice and spread the good word to others in korea. This place will not.

Ah, perhaps that is why I have never stumbled on an authentic Korean BBQ here.

@Mick and if you like the kimchi like I do there, you can also buy some home in a jar. I would also recommend you BBQ yourself as they give you the option to do it for you in the kitchen or do it yourself on the grill at the table.

I dont know why the kimchi tastes better in Korea, but it does, non of this limp cabbage. I used to tease the Koreans by telling them Kimchi was Japanese, oh the troll in me.

1 Like

whats the korean food which isnā€™t a bbq(although my gf calls it a bbq), but its not quite a hot pot either. the meat is cooked on some kind of round griddle thing with rice wine or something?
i love those ones, theres one on my street with unlimited side dishes. i found that quite surprising.

ive only tried one actual korean bbq here, its run by and all the staff (seems to be only one waiter working all week) are koreans so i guess its authentic, its good anyway. but i have nothing to judge it against. i never knew how good ramen could be until i went to japan.

Sinseollo, or you can call it the royal hot pot if you can pronounce it.

7k is my entire food budget for a month lol

Most of the time I just view food as fuel for my body. Gotta hit those macros.

I do enjoy eating tasty food, but I would never pay 3k+ for a steak or whatever.

Andrew, what is your food budget a month excluding eating out at expensive restaurants.

googled that andā€¦ iā€™ve never had it.

I have no idea, food isnā€™t something I keep a budget of. I eat what i need. And no I donā€™t eat out at expensive places all the time like you think. Most of it is special occasions, dinner parties, eating with my family, my gfā€™s family who both love to go to nice places, business stuff, or invitations to these places from someone.

Indeed, itā€™s a special treat. How often one can enjoy such a treat is dependent upon finances. Nobody is going to get filet mignon in an 80NTD lunch box.

Itā€™s the cabbage. Something about the ones here donā€™t ferment well or something. My mom tried to make it many times and it never taste right.

You think the weather conditions have anything to do with it? I assume most of the cabbage being used is grown here?

As someone who was raised on very, very high quality Alberta, Canada, beef (we know our beef like the Texans), I can not understand people paying premium for Australia beef. It is as dry as a ā€¦I won`t go there. :laughing:

1 Like

I have no idea, i think it might actually the fermentation process with the humidity or also the cabbage.

The suff in the shops is all factory made rubbish. You can get good cabbage in Taiwan if you travel the central road down the spine of Taiwan you will see cabbage grown everywhere!

I donā€™t think itā€™s the quality of the cabbage, but how theyā€™re grown or maybe itā€™s a slightly different type of cabbage.

1 Like

The winter cabbage is better, my favourite is čŠ„č˜­čœ anyway.