Steak in Taiwan. The good, the bad, the ugly.

Because isn’t sauerkraut also cabbage but a bit sour naturally?

No idea but I also like 福菜 which is Taiwanese sauerkraut.
They just add salt, they used to get kids to stand with their bare feet on it to get it going.

1 Like

Holy smokes. I’d have to be a microbiologist to figure out how that one works.

Best steak I ever had was at a vineyard in Chile. That cow ate some dank grass.

I will say it again. This is the best steak in taipei.

3 Likes

There’s an Italian cheese that ferments thanks to the excrements of larvae that people let grow inside it. Can’t remember how that Pasta-people cheese is spelled, but if you make a Google search about Italian cheese maggots\worms you can find it easily.

I never order steak in Taiwan, it’s overpriced, and I have not found a steak which was not disappointing imho (even in the American franchise places). Also the side dishes with that broccoli and carrots, not my cup of tea. The only steak I eat here which is not disappointing is at teppanyaki or japanese restaurants grilled steak on charcoal thing.
I stopped ordering steaks here years ago. I always eat steak when I travel outside of Asia. Or in Japan yes that’s a different story. The quality of cuts here is not good, often imported also, so its been in the freezer for months before you eat it.
Compare to other place it goes from slaughterhouse to your plate, the difference is enormous. :fu:

American franchises have the worst steak lol. This is a Florentine steak. Imported especially from that area and treated and cooked by someone there. It’s a damn fine steak, and I’ve had some good ones straight from the slaughterhouse in Texas. There are good steak places. You just have to look.

How it’s treated, cooked and prepared matter as much if not more than just the cut and freshness.

Linkie?

It’s in the florist thread. Tavern de Medici

1 Like

Looks really good. It’s a menu item or do I have to preorder in advance? Thanks.

It’s on the menu. One thing I didn’t note is that it’s cooked medium rare and that’s how it’s suppose to be. Some people don’t like that but they won’t prepare it another way. But it’s cooked in a way that there’s no bloody juice all over.

And it’s pre-cut, just how @Andrew0409 likes it. :stuck_out_tongue:

Don’t be silly. It’s meant to be a 2nd course meal. It’s usually much much larger and cut and served in front of a large group at dinner. It’s not a personal steak.

Just pullin’ your chain, man. I remember another pic you posted that was cut and it sparked a short convo/jokes about it.

Just been a lot of tension round here lately with people walking on eggshells. Trying to lighten the mood a bit. I’ll try to stay on topic next time.

2 Likes

Casu marzu/casgiu merzu, from Sardinia and Corsica, it’s an outdoors aged Pecorino, skin off.

I always have steaks in the night markets.
Taste no different from those in some fancy restaurants, but with only 1/5 of the price.

1 Like

I’m with @Andrew0409 when it comes to steak. Don’t cut it for me. Must be rare or no more than medium rare or it’s not real steak. Did I mention I’m from Texas? After it cooks, it needs to rest before cutting into it. steak

We eat it raw, ‘Steak Tartare’! :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Costco has pretty steaks to be honest if you know how to cook them properly. But to bad most people here only have the option of using a pan. However, I have found a iron skillet to be very good if you know how to use it vs a regular pan. But it’s makes a lot of smoke. I rub my steak in butter and use the skillet. I heat it up and bring it outside so my fire alarm doesn’t go off. I also have a grill installed in my kitchen. But i have found the skillet to be good if you master it.

1 Like