Step up converter

Where do I need to ask for when I want a 110->220v step up transformer at 500-1000w

Follow up: where do I buy such a thing?

Have you tried the shops in the basement place near the computer market or the electronics ships near there?
Don’t think I’ve seen 1000W ones, but 500W are readily available.
If you head down this road maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=25.0 … 57.63,0,5 there’s a big electronics store on the left. If they don’t have it, go down the stairs across the road and there are a couple of more in the underground “mall” there.

I just need to power a 50" LCD and an Xbox 360. Though if I can find the 360 power supply here I will just need the TV.

I just don’t remember the wattage and I need to test the stuff in front of the movers to have insurance be valid.

I have a spare Xbox 360 power supply from a RROD system that you can have for free. PM me if interested …

Look for a new power supply. A 110-220V step-up transformer in 1kw capacity will be several thousand NT$.

The 50" LCD should have a wide input range (if not, then it FAILs) while the xbox360 should work fine with 500VA/300W step-up xformer.

Are you SURE your TV requires that much power? If you don’t have the TV at hand, do a Google search to find out some specs.

Well its a bravia tv, and sony has a knack for labeling for local powersupply only while including switching power supplies.

I never took it apart like I did for my ps3 to find out if this was the case.

looking up technical details I think it need ca 180w while the xbox is around 190w at max load.

The Sony Website says the input is 110-240v but it also says my TV has the home media bar which it totally doesnt. What happens if you plug a 220v plug into a 110v socket? Does it damage the equipment at all like the inverse?

[quote=“djlowballer”]Well its a bravia tv, and sony has a knack for labeling for local powersupply only while including switching power supplies.

I never took it apart like I did for my ps3 to find out if this was the case.

looking up technical details I think it need ca 180w while the xbox is around 190w at max load.

The Sony Website says the input is 110-240v but it also says my TV has the home media bar which it totally doesnt. What happens if you plug a 220v plug into a 110v socket? Does it damage the equipment at all like the inverse?[/quote]

Not having enough voltage shouldn’t damage anything (theoretically, at least).

I’ve done some 220-110 and back moves. Most TVs & audio have a switch for the voltage since they like the idea of one big plant for every market. For things like an xbox with a transformer I just buy a local power supply. Sometimes I just plug it in anyway. I’ve not killed anything yet.

Yeah I mean I am more open to testing with a lower voltage. I think I can get away with a 500w one, will check it out next time I am near the market.

You can’t just buy an Xbox 360 power brick, which is a bit stupid, but it’s also worth remembering that the Xbox 360 is region coded, so you might not be able to buy games locally where you move to. Some games aren’t coded though, but it’s a bit hard to find out which one are and which ones aren’t.

Check the labels on the back of the TV, it should clearly state the Voltage range, same on the Xbox power brick.

[quote=“TheLostSwede”]You can’t just buy an Xbox 360 power brick, which is a bit stupid, but it’s also worth remembering that the Xbox 360 is region coded, so you might not be able to buy games locally where you move to. Some games aren’t coded though, but it’s a bit hard to find out which one are and which ones aren’t.

Check the labels on the back of the TV, it should clearly state the Voltage range, same on the Xbox power brick.[/quote]
What sort of connector does the xbox’s power brick have? I’ve run into this sort of issue before and always found a generic power brick either with the connector I needed, or a generic connector which I could adapt. Worst case scenario you hack the connector off the old power brick and solder it on the new one. /story.

It has a huge external 175W to 205W unit (depending on how new the console is) with a custom power plug that delivers 12 and 5V as the Xbox 360 is pretty much a computer so…
They’re either 100-127V or 200 something to 250V.
You can get third party power bricks though, but these might void your warranty…

360 should draw about 200W peak. Bravia would depend on the size. My KDL26S2000 draws something like 120W peak. If your TV didn’t come with an external AC-to-DC and is marked as 120-240, then you should have no problems running it with 120V.

360 should draw about 200W peak. Bravia would depend on the size. My KDL26S2000 draws something like 120W peak. If your TV didn’t come with an external AC-to-DC and is marked as 120-240, then you should have no problems running it with 120V.[/quote]

Sweet. As I said above: Online Documentation says its multi-voltage but sony always marks their stuff single voltage for some reason. I will buy a 500w transformer just in case. Never know when I might need one.

They haven’t cracked the regions on the xbox? I dunno much about them, only just recently purchased one.

You should be able to get a 3rd party power supply.

region crack yeah but get console banned from online.

Your apartment or office probably has 220 volt outlets for air conditioners.

You can tell it is 220 volt as the socket configuration is different from the 110 volt to prevent mistakes.

Yeah I actually have one of those…I just didn’t know if I could use them for regular consumer products.