Unofficial Forumosa Cycling Club 2016 (Taipei/New Taipei)

Last week’s route, revisited. Fingers crossed for no rain.

Strava route updated.

Day: Saturday September 10, 2016
Meet up time: 7:00 AM
Weather check: 6AM
Meet up location: National Palace Museum 7-11 (故宮小7)
Route: https://www.strava.com/routes/1334518
Destination: North Coast
Approximate Distance: 90-100km
Approximate total Elevation Gain: 1,500-1,700m
Estimated total trip time: 6-7 hours

PLEASE TAKE NOTICE

• Route is subject to change on the day of the ride!
  • Please wear a helmet, bring tire repair tools, cash/EasyCard, Photo ID/health insurance cards, mobile phones, food, and any medication you may need
  • Make sure you are equipped with lights for the climate could change at high altitudes!
  • Please ride at a safe following distance from cars and follow proper riding etiquette
  • The “Unofficial Forumosa Cycling Club” is not for profit and we are not sponsored by any entity or have any signed agreement or direct ties with this forum

Thanks for setting this up every week. Just curious, how many riders do you get on average?

Usually it’s no more than 4 or 5 people. I prefer a smaller group, better for training and a little more social than a big group of 10.

I’ve been part of 10-15+ people group rides and there’s just so many different opinions on what route and where to stop for coffee, the ride is not very enjoyable.

No group ride this weekend! In the mean time, I have made some adjustments to the guidelines.

• Please wear a helmet. You will be politely asked to leave and come back next time if you show up to the meet up not wearing one.
  • Please bring tire repair tools, cash/EasyCard, Photo ID/health insurance cards, mobile phones, food, and any medication you may need.
  • Make sure you are equipped with at least rear lights for the climate could change at high altitudes!
  • Please ride at a safe following distance from cars and other motor vehicles on the road. We share the road, we don’t own it.
  • Please follow proper riding etiquette and use hand signals for everyone’s safety
  • The “Unofficial Forumosa Cycling Club” is not for profit and we are not sponsored by any entity or have any signed agreement or direct ties with this forum.

Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Day: Saturday October 1, 2016
Meet up time: 8:30AM
Weather check: 7AM
Route: FGZ -> WuZhiShan for coffee --> descend Xi Wan Rd. --> home
Destination: Feng Gui Zui 風櫃嘴
Approximate Distance: 40-50km
Approximate total Elevation Gain: 600-700m
Estimated total trip time: 3-4 hours

PLEASE TAKE NOTICE

• Please wear a helmet. You will be politely asked to leave and come back next time if you show up to the meet up not wearing one.
  • Please bring tire repair tools, cash/EasyCard, Photo ID/health insurance cards, mobile phones, food, and any medication you may need.
  • Please make sure you are equipped with at least rear lights for the climate could change at high altitudes!
  • Please ride at a safe following distance from cars and other motor vehicles on the road. We share the road, we don’t own it.
  • Please follow proper riding etiquette and use hand signals for everyone’s safety
  • The “Unofficial Forumosa Cycling Club” is not for profit and we are not sponsored by any entity or have any signed agreement or direct ties with this forum.

Fengguizui or FGZ, not Feng Gui Cui. Get with the program.

After reading the segment name on Strava and riding it 20-30 times in the past 2 years or so, I can’t believe I am still spelling it wrong.

Another post to add to my list of bad ping ying posts.

Thanks bear

Psst, it’s “pinyin” not “ping ying”. :slight_smile:

So long as you don’t start writing “Jinners” instead of Jinshan :grin:

I’m going to start posting rides in 100% Chinese because it seems like I am incapable of not making grammatical errors in PINYIN.

Everyone who reads up on the weekly ride can read Chinese right?

I hate pinyin (almost as much as I hate a 15% mountain gradient)! When both Chinese and pinyin are presented at church (with the songs primarily), I prefer to listen carefully and figure out the Chinese characters and then get it on the next time around, rather than trying to read the pinyin. And forget about trying to write the stuff- lang fei wo de shr jien.

I’ll consider this one vote for 100% Chinese ride details.

Any other takers? :laughing:

MEET UP and ROUTE has been updated.

Join us!

Day: Saturday October 15, 2016
Meet up time: 8AM
Route: Zhì shàn Rd至善路 --> Píng děng Community平等里 --> Lěngshuǐ kēng冷水坑
Destination: Leng Shui Keng 冷水坑
Approximate total Elevation Gain: 700-800m

PLEASE TAKE NOTICE

• Please make sure you are equipped with at least rear lights for the climate could change at high altitudes!

ROUTE UPDATED

Weather Check at 7AM!

Typhoon shmyphoon, let’s ride.

Day: Saturday October 22, 2016
Meet up time: 7:30AM
Weather check: 6AM
Route: Zhì shàn Rd至善路 --> Fēng Guì Zuǐ 風櫃嘴 --> Coffee --> Home
Destination: FGZ
Approximate total Elevation Gain: 600-700m

PLEASE TAKE NOTICE

Another grim forecast for a long weekend.

Day: Saturday October 29, 2016
Meet up time: 8:00AM
Meet up location: Rainbow Bridge 彩虹橋
Route: Tour of Taipei Riverside --> Coffee --> Home
Destination: N/A
Approximate Distance: 60-70km
Approximate total Elevation Gain: 200-400m

PLEASE TAKE NOTICE

Sure, do a nice and easy one on the flats on a weekend when I can’t be there.

Did Michael talk you into this?

No one talked me into this one, but it seems like the on-going theme is, do flat rides when you have races :wink:

The weather doesn’t look good, so I did not want to commit to a long ride with multiple climbs.

It does seem like this happened before when I had a race.

And the weather does look bad. Especially for Sunday- sudden drop in temperature (which is definitely okay) and rain (which won’t be that pleasant for cycling and also before and after the race).

Consider another riverside path ride sometime, even if it’s a fast one. I’m enjoying that these days.