Strange and Unexpected Impressions While Traveling Abroad

Right after Chinese-speaking people drop “美國” and start calling the US “啊美里卡” officially.

Or, more properly, “於耐特德史泰特斯啊福啊美里卡”

5 Likes

Holy cow, this thread is an avatar of racism. Why was I not invited??? SHAME ON YOU ALL, YOU FAILED ME

Sorry, you’re most welcome to join La Raza Blanca!

A post was split to a new topic: antianti

This is not how languages work.

Han dudes have a quite long tradition of coming to other peoples country, telling them to shut their whore mouth and use one best language that fits their precious ears only, don’t they?

Ooh, aren’t we high and mighty? 美利堅合眾國 not good enough for you? :angry:

Only if people say it in their daily lives.

Cutting off the first syllable of “America” shows a distinct lack of cultural sensitivity.

I’m sure that’s what native English speakers do when they go to any other non-English-speaking countries, not native Mandarin speakers.

All right, antianti, I admit it was a misunderstanding with the Polish I met earlier.
As you said, the sounds and words didn’t match much.
It’s much more likely that they’re talking about something completely irrelevant to me, and I shouldn’t overreact to the language I know nothing about.
But, they could have avoided it by not chatting with each other especially when they’re working in front of the customer’s face.

Well I’m not sure if any English-speaking-country tried it best to eradicate another nation’s native language(s) in the last 70 years - but maybe they did, I am not from any of such country so I may not know their history that well.

But if you are talking about tourists/expats, then you are right - expecting from anyone abroad to know your language is quite baffling. But as we can see in this thread, it is not limited to Anglosaxons.

That’s true for sure. Unfortunately rudeness is international

I was in McDonald’s, and an apparently drunk English guy standing behind me started to talk to me for no reason.

He: You all right?
I: Yeah, I’m good.
He: You all right?
I: Um…Yes, I am all right.
He: Because…I…smash…(Putting his fist up)
(I thought he said “Because I will smash you” at first, but not really sure about what he meant because I missed other words he said.)
I: O…kay.
He: So, you all right?
I:…I’m all right.
(The similar nonsense talk kept on going while we were both in the line)
He got his food before I did, and when he left the counter, he gave me a high-five.

I guess this was a narrow escape from getting beaten up?
LOL.

Typical BS you get in Europe. This stuff happened to my friends and me on a weekly basis in Germany. Life has been so comfortable for so long that eccentricity like this breeds.

Another encounter of Bruce-Lee mimicking.

God damn, it’s like a destiny that I am doomed to meet at least one extremely ignorant person in my every single trip outside of Asia.

Last time, it was in a night club in Germany A guy making kung-fu moves or karate chops with Bruce-Lee fighting noise every time I walked past him.

This time, it’s in a pharmacy in the U.K.
I went in to ask if I could get a certain medicine from this pharmacy.
The guy at the counter (looked like he’s from one of the Islamic countries in North Africa or Middle East, and spoke English with extremely heavy accent) yelled “Ni How(你好)…Wah!Ah Da!(mimicking Bruce Lee’s fighting noise)” and then started talking to me in English but with the tone and sound mimicking Bruce Lee’s fighting noise in every sentence.(Wah!Ah Da!Ha!Yah!..etc the annoying noise.")

Not sure if he’s a certificated pharmacist, but he obviously failed the test for cross-cultural communication.

After he finally said that the medicine I wanted was not available in the store, I said thank you and left.
Then, I heard him say “Chinky Chinky Chinky…”.

So, after hearing Polish making sounds like “Cheenese Swine” (which was alleged to be irrelevant to anything offensive by a Polish member here in Forumosa), hopefully this guy’s sound in his own language meant something completely irrelevant to what I think as well.

God damn, morons are everywhere.

Get yourself up to Yorkshire, we’re lovely :grinning:

Can’t disagree with that. TBH it’s one reason I left. A lot of British people are dumb as a bag of nails.

OTOH I’m really quite surprised nobody called him out on that pathetic little show. 95% of the people I know there would be absolutely appalled by it. Perhaps they were afraid of being branded Islamophobic.

Incidentally, British people tend to be a bit more direct that you might be used to. It’s perfectly acceptable, under such circumstances, to either ask to give him a clear “WTF is your problem?”, or ask see the store manager.

I was shocked, and at the same time, entertained, to see the signs on the walls in various public places like the airports, stations, hospitals, etc indicating “We do not tolerate racial or verbal abuse. Please respect our staff members…” or anything with similar messages.

Do they really have to make a sign to remind the public of it?
Isn’t it an elementary-school-level common sense that you should not be a fcking cnt like that?

are you taiwanese? why didn’t you tell him you are from taiwan not hong like bruce lee. educate these dumb fucks. my mum even corrects people now about taiwan after she has visited me here.

1 Like

30 posts were split to a new topic: Political Implications of IQ Tests [Split from Topic "First time to the U.K. Strange…’]

And so is the President of Taiwan. Nothing strange there.