Student Work Permit questions

Created an account just to ask this and have come across some contradicting information when trying to find answers. So, I will be studying mandarin at a university in Taipei next spring and was wondering how soon i would be able to obtain a work permit?

I know that usually the employer has to obtain a work permit for the employee but apparently you can obtain a work permit yourself if you are a foreign student. Anyway, I’ve read that you must show that you are enrolled as a student for one year and have decent grades before being able to obtain a work permit as a foreign student. Is this still valid in 2017 or have rules become less strict? Can i still apply for the work permit soon after arrival with hopes of them just accepting it if i have a good reason (financial), even if i haven’t been enrolled for a year yet? Ideally, i would like to be able to start working part time as soon as i can upon arrival in Taiwan and really do not want to wait a full YEAR as a student just to get a work permit.

Last thing, i’m an ABT, my parents were both born in Taiwan and are therefore citizens. Would this have any impact in helping me obtain a work permit? And do i need an ARC before applying for the permit?

And advice or info is much appreciated!

This page explained enough.
Working in Taiwan
http://english.moe.gov.tw/ct.asp?xItem=622&ctNode=3008&mp=1

Usually, yes. Under some conditions, you can get a work permit soon after the enrollment, but financial situation cannot be a reason, according to the law.

Regulations on the Permission and Administration of the Employment of Foreign Workers
Article 31
Should a foreign student as referred to in Article 30 been officially enrolled in a school to take courses for 1 semester or more in a division, department or graduate institute thereof or to take language course(s) for one year or more, and should the school where he/she is enrolled in acknowledge the existence of any of the following factual situations, the said foreign student may engage in jobs relevant to the course(s) he/she has take and the language he/she has learned:
1.It is proven by concrete evidence that the financial situation of the said foreign student is unable to continuously sustain his/her studies and cost of living.
2.The teaching or researching unit of the school where the said foreign student is enrolled is in need of his/her assistance and participation in teaching or researching work.
3.The said foreign student has to engage in off-campus practical training related to the course(s) he/she is taking.
Foreign students who meet one of the following qualifications are not restricted by the provisions as referred to in the preceding paragraph:
1.Foreign students with exceptional specialty in a foreign language, with the ad hoc approval by the Ministry of Education, after his/her enrollment in the school, to work on a part-time basis as a teacher in that language in a subsidiary language center affiliated with a University/College or with a foreign culture and education organization stationed in the Republic of China.
2.Foreign students enrolled in a graduate institute and have been approved by the school where the said foreign students are enrolled in to conduct relevant research work.

If you have an overseas Chinese student status, you can get a work permit when you enroll in a high school. Foreign high school students cannot.

You still need an ARC.

Thanks yes i did read that actually before posting. Was more wondering if certain individuals had bypassed the one year enrollment rule and if the Ministry has become more lenient in 2017. Wouldn’t be surprised if they have. But it looks like each person’s situation is unique and it depends on a lot of factors.

I know that. You can get a work permit if enrolled for 15 hours at a language school. I’m far older than being in high school… question was more directed at if parents’ citizenship helps in any way and if the ARC needs to be submitted with the work permit application as a required document. Pretty sure it does

sorry, my reply was too indirect. The only difference between the foreign students and overseas Chinese students is the high school case, so parent’s citizenship doesn’t help in any way in terms of working right, unless you naturalize by the relationship with your parents.

As for getting money, there might be scholarships for foreign students whose parents are taiwanese.

legally required document is a photocopy of the resident document. so, there might be alternative documents, but for usual foreign students, it means ARC.

1 Like

You appear to be an ROC national without household registration. If you obtain hhr, you won’t need a work permit.

2 Likes

It says the financial situation can be a reason, but it seems to be intended for emergencies.

Events of a serious nature have affected their financial ability to support themselves or continue their education, and the student can provide evidence of such circumstances.

1 Like

yes, yes, I intended to say this. OP is already taiwanese national, so naturalization was not the correct term.

1 Like

Thank you for this! So after obtaining hhr, i could then apply for a TARC or NIC correct? And this would allow me to start working without restrictions i believe. This is great news

If it is right that hhr means household registration, no.
You should first apply for a taiwanese passport, then apply for TARC if you are eligible, then live here for X years, then get your hhr.

If you can get TARC, I think you can get an open work permit.

The below is a guideline on TARC, though in Chinese.
僑居國外之臺灣地區無戶籍國民申請在臺灣地區居留送件須知
https://www.immigration.gov.tw/ct.asp?xItem=1088341&ctNode=30066&

@yyy would correct if something is wrong.

1 Like

Very good to know. Will definitely look more into it. Thank you for the info!

Ideally, but my interest is labor law, not immigration law. There are others here who know more about it than I do.

@cozzafrenzy you can also search through (and ask in) the Legal forum, Dual Nationality subforum.

@cozzafrenzy
Especially on the work permit for overseas Chinese student. I’m not very sure now. It is better you check it from someone with first hand info. They might get work permit just after the enrollment.

@tando
@yyy

Yeah just went over lots of info in other forums. You were pretty much right @tando. Looks like I must first get a Taiwanese passport then TARC, which will then allow for a work permit, and then eventually hhr and nationality for full citizenship rights if I want