Superhero movies from now - 2020

[Last updated: 3.1.2016]

Brace yourselves.

Hopefully one of thos DC films wouldn’t bomb… don’t know what to think about Antman… excited about Age of Ultron, Deadpool, Cap 3, Wonder woman, they better have a hell of a wonder woman. Mixed feelings towards Fantastic 4 and Dr. Strange…

By the way, did they just kill off Lucy Lawless in Agents of Shield after 1 episode? WTF? It’s Lucy Frakking Lawless! (justified usage, since she was frakking toaster number 3).

Brutal, nothing new, nothing interesting, just re-hashed nerd bullshit clogging up the theaters and budgets because they sell tickets abroad.

Gone are the days of thoughtful, well written movies, now we got a bunch of fat shit virgin dorks can stroke their tiny virgin dorks to with their Cheetos encrusted hands.

This is the equivalent to looking at the concerts coming to your city for the next half decade and it being nothing but Boybands and bubble gum heart throbs. Hollywood will go the way of the major record labels, and crowd-sourced movies will become the new outlet for quality.

Fucking disgusting.

Thanks, I can now look forward to a Suicide Squad movie and the Flash has a lot of potential for slow motion. Everything is better in slow motion :slight_smile:

[quote=“Deuce Dropper”]Brutal, nothing new, nothing interesting, just re-hashed nerd bullshit clogging up the theaters and budgets because they sell tickets abroad.

Gone are the days of thoughtful, well written movies, now we got a bunch of shit fat virgin dorks can stroke their tiny virgin dorks to with their Cheetos encrusted hands.

This is the equivalent to looking at the concerts coming to your city for the next half decade and it being nothing but Boybands and bubble gum heart throbs. Hollywood will go the way of the major record labels, and crowd-sourced movies will become the new outlet for quality.

Fucking disgusting.[/quote]

Come on, how is this different from block buster movies in the past? I think this round of super hero franchise movie revival isn’t about super heroes, but actually about movies have a arch and interconnected to each other. That’s something that DC hasn’t caught on yet, and probably why DC movies will continue to bomb…

I admit most of Ironman, Thor, Avengers movies are brainless blockbuster type movies, but I consider X-men First Class to be pretty well written and well executed movie. It’s followup as a bit of a let down, having to cram too much and too many characters into 2 hours is a challenge for this new format. Captain America was pretty well done, especially the second one. Hopefully the third one would be just as good.

LOL

Deuce, you miserable fucker!

You nailed it, dude. :2cents:

Superhero shit for kids.

It’s pretty sad, actually.

Kinda like Star Trek.

Grim.

I see the superhero movies as the new Westerns - a genre that dominates the mid/low-range, and every year there are more of them than you’d really want to watch. Westerns had horse chases and gunfights; superhero movies end with the ritualized destruction of a city. Occasionally you’ll get an Unforgiven or Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid or The Searchers; most of the rest are forgettable yet passable entertainment.

What I’m curious about is when the superhero genre will basically die, like the Western did. There have got to be too many of them coming out over the next six years - can the market really support this?!

Superhero movies = Hello Kitty for boys.

[quote=“lostinasia”]
What I’m curious about is when the superhero genre will basically die, like the Western did. There have got to be too many of them coming out over the next six years - can the market really support this?![/quote]

I think it has died and been resurrected a couple of times already.

[quote=“jimipresley”]Deuce, you miserable fucker!

You nailed it, dude. :2cents:

Superhero shit for kids.

It’s pretty sad, actually.

Kinda like Star Trek.

Grim.[/quote]

you’ve never seen Deep Space Nine have you?

[quote=“hansioux”][quote=“Deuce Dropper”]Brutal, nothing new, nothing interesting, just re-hashed nerd bullshit clogging up the theaters and budgets because they sell tickets abroad.

Gone are the days of thoughtful, well written movies, now we got a bunch of shit fat virgin dorks can stroke their tiny virgin dorks to with their Cheetos encrusted hands.

Fucking disgusting.[/quote]

Come on, how is this different from block buster movies in the past? I think this round of super hero franchise movie revival isn’t about super heroes, but actually about movies have a arch and interconnected to each other. That’s something that DC hasn’t caught on yet, and probably why DC movies will continue to bomb…

I admit most of Ironman, Thor, Avengers movies are brainless blockbuster type movies, but I consider X-men First Class to be pretty well written and well executed movie. It’s followup as a bit of a let down, having to cram too much and too many characters into 2 hours is a challenge for this new format. Captain America was pretty well done, especially the second one. Hopefully the third one would be just as good.[/quote]

I don’t read comic books, and I don’t play video games, and I don’t feel like doing homework to learn about some fictional character that some fucking nerd dreamt up between furious stints of angst ridden masturbation because he couldn’t get any girlie action in his youth (remember, nerds are in charge now, or at least that is what Hollywood tells me so it is OK to diss them).

What happened to taking a great book and making it into a movie. Do we gotta wait a decade for Richard Linklater to make another film?

Thank fucking God for HBO, Showtime, AMC and Netflix original programming.

Exactly. All the good writers saw the writing on the wall, so to speak, and migrated to cable. I rarely even bother with movies these days because the TV series are so much better.

I wonder what could replace super hero movies though. Perhaps something space related? They could “spacify” movies/stories that already exist. Like Forest Gump, Titanic, Rocky, Star Wars, James Bond, Frankenstein, Dracula… whatever. Just set the movies in space - add lasers, space ships, asteroid fields, cloud-like space entities and so on, but keep the basic stories the same. It would be space-tastic!

Don’t think that would work. Remember Jason X?

OK, maybe it wasn’t as good as Alien vs. Predator, but it was still pretty friggin’ awesome!

OK, maybe it wasn’t as good as Alien vs. Predator, but it was still pretty friggin’ awesome![/quote]

It could have benefited from a few more lasers, or if Jason was part cyborg or something. If you think about it, this “spacification” thing is already happening, and with mixed results. Avatar is just Dances with Wolves in space, pretty much, and it wasn’t half bad. Then there’s Edge of Tomorrow, which was a pretty poor Space Groundhog Day.

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 0#p1635453

How do they space-ify Star Wars?

As for the James Bond movies - Never seen Moonraker?

I’ve never been able to sit through the X-men movies (maybe because it wasn’t a comic I read as a kid) I liked Thor and the Amazing Spider-Man 2. There’s bound to be something I like in the original list. I liked the newest Planet of the Apes movie too. I know it’s not a superhero movie but it was originally taken from a comic book.

I’ve heard good things about the newest The Flash TV series. Anyone seen it?

The last really good movie I saw was The Railway Man which was based on a book. It had a short run in Taiwan. Maybe because it wasn’t a Hollywood movie.

I’m going to just go ahead and ignore DD and JP because yeah, there are lots of crappy superhero films, but there are some great ones too, just like every genre that has ever existed.

I’m a big fan of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, even though I had no idea who most of these characters were before they showed up on the movie screen. (As a kid, the only comic I read was Spider-Man.) That’s because the general quality of the movies is good, the characters are entertaining, and I’m totally blown away by their ability to keep things internally consistent and make references to other works in the series. Instead of only caring about the hear-and-now, the writers of each film drop plotlines and people that can develop into new stories. In other words, it’s the antithesis to the “bring back the bad guy from the first one” schlock we see in series like Transformers. It’s a project on a scale I’ve never seen before, and that makes me really invested in where it goes next.

Now let’s talk about DC and how they will not be able to replicate that success. Captain America is really the only one of the current Avengers who can be called a superhero. While the others take part in superheroics, they are not in the Batman-Superman-Spider-man mold of “put on a costume, dish out justice,” and that’s one of the things that has kept the series interesting. Even more importantly, their origin stories are loosely connected, so it’s not this random and contrived plot of “how do you get the awesomest guys together” as many cross-over films have been in the past.

DC will hard pressed to do this. There is no reason that Superman and Batman and Wonder Woman and freaking Aquaman will have to meet up and work together instead of going about their own crime-fighting lives, and it will be hard to come up with a villain so li hai that we need all of these guys to combine their powers to stop him. Not to mention Superman can do everything by himself, so what’s the point? Additionally, they seem to be taking a “throw everything at the wall and see what sticks” approach instead of a convincing long-term storyline. I also think they don’t have the same sort of one-man in charge thing going on at Marvel Studios, so it will be easy for just one bad film to poison the superhero well.

But even more importantly: They are overestimating our patience. People like comic book movies now, a trend that probably started with Batman Begins (2004). That was 10 years ago. I don’t think the craze over superheroes will be able to last 16 years. So Shazzam and Cyborg and Green Lantern have the the odds stacked up against them.