Superhero movies from now - 2020

[quote=“Hokwongwei”]There are a lot of very cool X-women, but they don’t tend to get their own titles. I am however getting a little bored of “handsome mature-looking white guy saves the world” plotlines.

But you’re right, it’s not that having a woman in the lead makes a movie boring, it’s that comic book writers haven’t given us many female roles interesting enough to warrant their own films.[/quote]

Agreed. The marvel universe and DC comics have plenty of interesting female heroes that have had successful comics where they were the main character. Unfortunately, it will take more more than a tight outfit, big titties and sexy contrapposto poses to keep the movie audience awake for a whole 2 hours.

[quote=“Icon”]Remember that Hollywood gives women 30% of all speaking roles, and most are as vocal support for male cast. Most are just “flower pots”. So a lead is also “inconceivable” to Hollywood writers.

Comic book heroines actually depart from the mold in recent years. A much more violent and rounded Wonder Woman, Yellow Canary and Harley Quinn’s conflict, etc. But it is a tough one to crack when more attention is put at oversized curves than character development, in a media already plagued with shallowness.[/quote]

women should be happy to be above the fray of this nerd bullshit.

[quote=“Deuce Dropper”][quote=“Icon”]Remember that Hollywood gives women 30% of all speaking roles, and most are as vocal support for male cast. Most are just “flower pots”. So a lead is also “inconceivable” to Hollywood writers.

Comic book heroines actually depart from the mold in recent years. A much more violent and rounded Wonder Woman, Yellow Canary and Harley Quinn’s conflict, etc. But it is a tough one to crack when more attention is put at oversized curves than character development, in a media already plagued with shallowness.[/quote]

women should be happy to be above the fray of this nerd bullshit.[/quote]

Not really. We need more women in science, engineering, all technology related careers. It all starts there, with the nerds.

[quote=“Icon”][quote=“Deuce Dropper”][quote=“Icon”]Remember that Hollywood gives women 30% of all speaking roles, and most are as vocal support for male cast. Most are just “flower pots”. So a lead is also “inconceivable” to Hollywood writers.

Not really. We need more women in science, engineering, all technology related careers. It all starts there, with the nerds.[/quote]

comic books and all that nonsense isn’t engineering, science or technology.

[quote=“Deuce Dropper”][quote=“Icon”][quote=“Deuce Dropper”][quote=“Icon”]Remember that Hollywood gives women 30% of all speaking roles, and most are as vocal support for male cast. Most are just “flower pots”. So a lead is also “inconceivable” to Hollywood writers.

Not really. We need more women in science, engineering, all technology related careers. It all starts there, with the nerds.[/quote]

comic books and all that nonsense isn’t engineering, science or technology.[/quote]

It all starts with the dreaming. female paratroopers, female kicking butts, females doing other stuff … well, being rescued sometimes but also many different roles. Options. Opportunities. You have to imagine it, be inspired by it. Reality does not have many of those anymore, like female astronauts and such.

Uhura, man. It all starts like that.

I thought only dudes said freedom in Swahili… Oops, read that as “uhuru.” My eyes are “flower.” Time to get off Internet…

Yup. No one would ever want to see a superhero movie with [strike]Black Widow[/strike] Scarlett Johannson about a woman who learns to use 100% of her brain. A film like that would only make, um, $415 million says Wikipedia. Nope, no way a super hero (but not comic based) movie with a lead actress could succeed.

Yup. No one would ever want to see a superhero movie with [strike]Black Widow[/strike] Scarlett Johannson about a woman who learns to use 100% of her brain. A film like that would only make, um, $415 million says Wikipedia. Nope, no way a super hero (but not comic based) movie with a lead actress could succeed.[/quote]
You guys, relax, he’s not completely wrong. What’s the harm in a little bit of eye candy? In fact, eye-candies ft-dubs!

• Warning: PG-13 superheroes ahead… -

Yup. No one would ever want to see a superhero movie with [strike]Black Widow[/strike] Scarlett Johannson about a woman who learns to use 100% of her brain. A film like that would only make, um, $415 million says Wikipedia. Nope, no way a super hero (but not comic based) movie with a lead actress could succeed.[/quote]
Precisely because it isn’t comic-based, and thus appeals to a broader demographic.

dp

You guys, relax, he’s not completely wrong. What’s the harm in a little bit of eye candy? In fact, eye-candies ft-dubs!

[/quote]
Nice racks. I wonder what part of the male anatomy Rockefeller is into? Stop objectifying us! :slight_smile:

[/quote]

Not enough chest hair. :cry:

I wasn’t aware that Lucy was a super hero. I thought maybe the Matrix and Limitless had sex and Lucy was the end product. I watched the trailer and I had no desire to watch that bullshit, even if half of it was filmed in Taiwan. But Scarlett Johannson being the lead actress in that one actually wasnt the reason why I didnt want to watch it. I just didn’t think the concept was very interesting.

On the subject of Scarlett Johannson, how many people would watch a Black Widow movie if they came out with one? Better yet, how many would re-watch it a second time like we all do with good entertaining super hero movies?

[/quote]

Careful. Ermintrude might find these extremely sexist…

They’re making me feel so inadequate…time to start binging on Haagen Dazs.

So I guess the fact the Dark Knight is one of the highest grossing films in the history of, well, film doesn’t mean much to you? Or how incredibly much money Marvel has made from its film series? When the nerd minority becomes a majority, what does that make the “cool kids” who are too hip for nerdy movies? :ponder:

Here are some really popular movies you may not know are based on comic books: 300, Blade, The Crow, From Hell, the newest Hercules (with the Rock), A History of Violence, Judge Dredd, Men in Black, Oldboy, V for Vendetta…

So I guess the fact the Dark Knight is one of the highest grossing films in the history of, well, film doesn’t mean much to you? Or how incredibly much money Marvel has made from its film series? When the nerd minority becomes a majority, what does that make the “cool kids” who are too hip for nerdy movies? :ponder:

Here are some really popular movies you may not know are based on comic books: 300, Blade, The Crow, From Hell, the newest Hercules (with the Rock), A History of Violence, Judge Dredd, Men in Black, Oldboy, V for Vendetta…[/quote]
Sorry, the point I was trying to make wasn’t clear. I meant that while a comic-based movie with a female lead may not do well because it wouldn’t appeal to the 14-year-old-boy demographic, a movie like Lucy can give good box office, because although it has a female hero-type character in lead, it, being non-comic-based, appeals to a wider audience.

As to why the Dark Knight is one of the highest grossing films in history, I must admit that I find it baffling. There are a metric shit-ton of 14-year-olds out there? There’s a whole generation of man-boys who never really grew up, thus multiplying the target audience? Worldwide audiences, where most of the box office growth is coming from, are on the whole less sophisticated? The fact that all those movies you mentioned are based on comic books does explain a lot, though. :smiley: But I did like Oldboy…and Snowpiercer, which I seem to remember was based on a comic as well.

That’s my point exactly. You can’t say “this comes from a comic book, so it must be immature and brainless.” That makes as much as saying “this is adapted from a best-selling novel, so it must be great.” And yet we have classic comic book movies like Men in Black, and complete trash like Twilight. You can try to argue that all the people who liked The Dark Knight were immature men-children (and women-children!), but those high-society snooty film critics don’t agree with you. In fact they quite liked it, as well.

Again, you’re free to dislike the movie, but you should recognize that there is artistic and social merit to it instead of tossing it in the rubbish bin because it’s a “-man” film.

Snowpiercer was an unexpectedly good sci-fi. It had Captain America in it - right?

Cool. Did not know that for those two.

I don’t get the hate. There are great movies, there are fun entertaining movies, and there are dismal movies. There are also movie genres. Some romantic comedies are great. Others aren’t. (Most aren’t.) Some dramas are great. Others aren’t. Some westerns are great. Others aren’t. Some art house movies are fantastic. Others aren’t. And some superhero movies are great, and others (most) aren’t. Yeah, there’s an absurd glut of superhero movies these days - a few will be good, and most will be bad, just like for pretty much every genre. It’s sort of a problem that they’re crowding out other movies that could be made, but whatever. These days I only go to the cinema for the whiz-bang special effects. If it’s a “smaller” well-written film I’d rather just watch it at home later. (Of course, by the time it’s available on video, I’ve lost interest in watching it, but that’s a whole other issue. I can’t wait for the day, if it ever comes, when studios start releasing movies online at the same time as you can watch them in the cinema.)

And what’s with basing movies on novels? Those are barely literate trash for kids, and often even GIRL kids! I know, because Samuel Johnson told me so (or one of those guys from the early novel days - maybe Alexander Pope). For that matter, any dialogue that’s not at least Latin and preferably Greek is utter plebeian crap (um, maybe plebeian isn’t quite the appropriate word there). Oh, and if it’s written down at all, it’s going to rot your brain. I think Plato said that. Or maybe Socrates as voiced by Plato.

I guess the talk about Ulysses 13 a couple of pages back wasn’t a sci-fi version of James Joyce’s novel, was it? Now THERE was a manly man! No nerdy glasses on him, and certainly no wanking in his books!

Hmmm … so let’s see, Homer (blind according to legend! Close enough to glasses to consider him a nerd!) pretty much establishes Western literature with tales of superheroes oops I mean semi-divine heroes engaging in epic (ha! absolutely the appropriate word!) brawls on the plains of Troy. So I guess the rot goes way back.