Supreme court ruled current marriage laws' failure to guarantee marriage equality unconstitutional

I’m guessing all the gay locals are for it, along with probably about half the population.

You co-worker needn’t worry too much. In Canada after ten years of same-sex marriage, 0.8 percent of all couples are same-sex, and only one third of those choose legal marriage over common-law marriage.

Asked by reporters whether it still gives him the creeps when he sees people advocating same-sex marriage, Wu said he was referring to LGBT families rather than gay marriage, adding that he lacked a thorough understanding of the issue when he made the comments.

So what he’s saying is, he always supported an issue he didn’t thoroughly understand until recently. :idunno:

Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) spokeswoman Wu Pei-yi (吳沛憶) said that the DPP was surprised to see the “Chinese white dolphin” take another turn, but commended Wu for having the courage to own up to his mistake and “turn in the right direction.”

“Chinese white dolphin” is a nickname Wu was given when he was premier for saying that the animal has an innate ability to “make turns” to avoid a landfill as part of a response to environmentalists protesting a Guoguang Petrochemical Technology Co project near the dolphins’ habitat near Taichung Harbor.

I hear ya, Ike, but are these actually two separate groups?
http://www.chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/national/national-news/2010/05/16/256715/ma-recognizes.htm

[quote=“China Post”]Republic of China I-Kuan Tao Association
[/quote]

[quote=“Taipei Times”]Republic of China I-Kuan Dao Society
[/quote]

“Gee. Don’t you know we use T to denote it is from Taiwan?” Or so I have been told, mocked for asking and sneered at for my ignorance.

And no, these were not deep greens the ones that cane up with that. How many times do I have to explain that no, the only greens in the goverment are either ministers or in hiding, and no, if they are from the South they are brainwashed to be ashamed and set back in their careers so heck if they can come up with this stuff.

Anyways, there is never consistency. The other day I bumped into an gummit agency that had 3 different spellings for its name…in the same initial HOME page of its Englishee website.

“If there are local governments that refuse to comply — which they are legally entitled to do, as household registration is within local governments’ authority — I will ask the Ministry of the Interior to accept household registration for same-sex partners,” she said.

Of the nation’s 22 local governments, 11 recognize household registrations by same-sex couples, including all six special municipalities, and registrations from 2,060 couples, including 1,643 lesbian couples and 417 homosexual couples, Chen said.

Household registration is not legally binding, but allows partners to deal with such practical matters as signing consent for surgery and asking for family care leave.

Marriage protestors will soon join forces will pension protestors, apparently.

Also:

“Using the term heterosexual hegemony is an offense to heterosexuals,” said Wang Li-sheng (王立昇), who heads the National Alliance of Presidents of Parents’ Associations’ supervisory board.

He added that there had been some progress compared with last year’s textbooks, as content about bisexuality had been removed in response to parents’ complaints.

More fallout:

Is same sex marriage really a conspiracy masterminded by Eric Chu? :astonished:

Interesting article that covers a lot of ground.

More than interesting, a great read, :+1:

Funny, I’ve never thought about this before, although I guess I knew it.

As repressive as the government was only two decades back, Taiwan has never criminalised consensual same-sex behavior between adults unlike its Asian counterparts in the South and the Middle East.

Which is a pretty cool deal unto itself.

This also struck me as cute AF::

Although apps and websites have now taken over to a large extent, senior citizens less savvy with smartphones still cruise at the park.

1 Like

How’s this for irony?

Huang Kuo-chang could become the first popularly elected official to be ousted after the nation’s recall thresholds were dropped with the passage of an amendment to the Civil Servants Election and Recall Act in November last year.

Huang Kuo-chang was one of the main proponents of the amendment, which he believed would return power to the people.

Well, he is holding his head high.

I am too lazy to research it (and it is 0330!), but isn’t opposition to this a moot point, since the high court ruled the current law unconstitutional? Wouldn’t any amendment/law passed to restrict same-sex marriage be in violation of the constitution, or are some people trying to do a constitutional overhaul that adds the word “except”?

Three thirty, shmee shmirty! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

They said they would petition the Control Yuan to investigate the Grand Justices, but I see no realistic chance of the marriage genie going back into the bottle.

However, I wonder how many voters are actually trying to punish Huang for the marriage issue and how many are petitioning for other reasons. Apparently they don’t need to have voted for him, just to be in the same electoral district.

Sounds like someone was unhappy that a “promise” wasn’t full filled.

Now, if we can get pot legalized. Hey, Taiwan can be the Amsterdam of Asia. (without all the trams and canals and politicians with bleached platinum blonde hair) Fitting, since it was a Dutch possession and all. Didn’t I argue with someone about bikes becoming a thing again in Taiwan? Ah, it is 0440 now. And a concert is getting ready to happen across the street in a parking lot. Don’t they have stadiums for this?

I wonder what it would take. Too many politicians use the war on drugs as a major campaign platform.

1 Like

Pot always gets the hate. Opiates, get a pass, but THC not so much. There are politicians who will actually claim that mj is more dangerous than heroin. I wanna know who is writing their checks. As for TW, it cannot be worse than betelnut. I would actually say betelnut is worse. Ugh.

I would rather be in the taxi of a pothead, than have my life put in peril by a maniac chomping 3 or 4 betelnut doing 120+ kph in town. With the pothead, I get to listen to 10 minutes of complaining about how dangerous traffic is and how he “almost hit that guy” while realizing he has failed to put the keys in the ignition (more or less a true story from experience. not with a cab, but it was true)

There is no statistic to back up any anti-pot legislation.