Swimming as upper body workout

I’ve been thinking about swimming for an upper body workout to pair with biking. I’m a recreational swimmer, so that means I probably don’t have a good idea how far I can really go in an hour, or how many laps I can do.

So my questions are these:

1. How can a beginner ease into swimming as a workout? Any tips, preparations needed?

2. Do you know of other good swimming pools in Taipei/near Banqiao? I’ve been to the Wanhua sports center, looks good and clean. Quite cheap. But other suggestions are great as well as. Appreciate it if you can include schedules/links/fees.

3. Other advice or info related to swimming are welcome too! :slight_smile:

I’ll give more tips tomorrow (just about ready to clock out), but let me just say that swimming is all about form, or more precisely, it’s all about reducing drag.

I’m going to assume you want to perfect freestyle because that’s what I know best and I think it’s the best for all the triathlons and open-water swims you and other will eventually be doing.

Almost always, what happens with beginners is that their legs drop. This creates huge drag and leads to other problems, such as poor breathing mechanics.

For beginners, I recommend trying to learn the total immersion style. The single kick on each side is deceptively difficult, so maybe you can just kick in the most natural way possible, but not kick too much. Kicking provides for minimal forward propulsion on long swims but wears you out fast. More to come tomorrow. But the name of the game is form. You can be old. You can be fat. And you can still kick everyone’s butt in the pool if your form is good.

3 Likes

Thanks Marasan! Where do you usually swim in Taipei (assuming you are in Taipei)?

My form is, well, I’m not exactly sure how it is but can you like describe how you keep your arms angled a certain way as it hits the water? I think I usually start okay but halfway through the pool my arms would start flapping like a couple of hotdogs thrown into the water horizontally.

I swim at about 3-4 different pools. Songshan and Chongshan sometimes, but with the summer, I can’t get in good swims there because of all the people. I also swim in Xizhi.

You asked about arms. I recommend in the beginning just a straight arm pull. Just enter in front of your shoulder for each arm (this is very important- in front of the shoulder!), then just pull straight down and back. There is a much better early vertical forearm style, but I think everyone should get a good feel for the water before this is attempted. I’ve seen many do a fake catch with an incorrect early vertical forearm, in which they’re not really grabbing any water and so they get nowhere fast.

So keep the legs up and not dragging. Do some kicking but don’t overdo it. And pull straight down after entry in front of the shoulder. That is really all you’ll need probably for the first year or so!

For breathing, it should be to the side. Not up and then to the side, but directly to the side. You can even look back a bit as this might help the side action. One goggle in and one goggle out is the goal, but this is a bit hard for most so I don’t think it’s necessary to force this too much in the beginning. A pocket of air will be formed next to the head on both sides so it’s actually possible to leave one goggle in.

Good luck!

1 Like

Moderators, I think a change to the title of this thread to “Adult Onset Swimming” would be fitting.

Side story…
I read a story about Herschel Walker (famous running back for American football) when he arrived at University of Georgia to play football. He was assigned a weight lifting coach to plan his exercise schedule in the weight room. Walker explained he only swam and did his own exercises (e.g. pushups). Well, the coach said that every player had to lift weights as just not possible to compete well otherwise. Walker insisted with his own swimming and exercise routine. The coach pushed him constantly until Walker as a freshman broke the college rushing record. The coach did not bother him the rest of his time in university.

Not true but have read he was very strict on his exercising of which swimming and exercising while in water was major part.

I’m in the R&D/testing phase of a new swimming pool business venture in case anyone’s interested in potentially be involved. If so, please pm me for details.