Swimming lessons for adults

Hi everyone,

I am trying to find a good place to send my girlfriend for swimming lessons. If anyone knows of a good place or a good instructor I would appreciate it if you would let me know.

Thank you very much.

@marasan might know

1 Like

Can you provide more details? Like preferred location, the swimming level of your girlfriend, whether you would prefer one on one, whether you would prefer a female instructor, etc.?

I currently know one good instructor all the way in Baifu (past Xizhi). He swims 1500 in about 25 minutes and is involved in triathlons. Male.

I know another swimming instructor who teaches in U-town in Xizhi. There’s a True Fitness there with a pool. The instructor is female and I believe she swam competitively years ago. Breaststroke. She seems to know what she’s talking about, but I haven’t seen her swim or teach (only cycle).

Other than that, all the government health centers teach swimming. But I’ve found that some of the instructors at those aren’t good swimmers at all! So be careful with this option.

Thank you for your response.

We live in the Wanhua area of Taipei, the closer to us the better but I prefer a good instructor over a convenient location.

Her swimming level is sort strange. She can float without any problems and she can swim a little if she needs to, her main issue seems to be with breathing. When she tries to breath she swallows water, panics, then starts to sink. Also she doesn’t feel comfortable swimming without goggles which I hope she can change.

I am not sure about one on one vs. group classes. I guess it would depend on the cost. And I think she would prefer a girl instructor.

The goal is for her to learn freestyle and breaststroke, or at least one of the two. I believe breaststroke might be better for her because of her problems with breathing but if she learns both I’ll be very happy.

Actually, probably the best for what you describe is just going swimming often. Some of what you describe sounds like fear but most unfamiliarity and comfort in the water, like having to wear goggles because (probably) she doesn’t like water in her eyes.

So maybe just go to the local swimming pool often until she feels comfortable in the water. I would suggest looking at YouTube videos for instruction. I also suggest sticking to one stroke- breaststroke sounds best from what you described. Finally, I suggest using a kickboard for some of the practice, such as when learning the kick.

Almost everybody does the breaststroke kick wrong but you can actually learn it from land drills and practice. And you will make all the freestyle swimmers in your lane very happy if your girlfriend learns proper technique and doesn’t come close to kicking them in the head every time she passes them!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v61nEYUb5_0

1 Like