Taichung Drivers License Bureau

Hello all,

Does anyone know where the Taichung Drivers License Bureau is? I have my ARC and I would like to get my scooter license before I buy one.

Thanks Stare

Good for you, Stare. More people should consider getting legal.

There’s a Department of Motor Vehicles and testing center on Beituen (Beitvn) Rd, between the intersection with Chin Hua (Jinhua) Rd and the intersection with Chienhsing (Jianxing) Rd. Private message me if you need more directions.

If you don’t read Chinese, you’ll need to borrow the English version of the test question booklet so you can memorise some of the answers. They loan them out on the 2nd floor of the DMV.

I also recommend hanging out at the testing area round the back so you can see what’s involved. You’ll see that there’s a low-speed, straight-line element of the test. It’s a bit tricky so good to practise beforehand.

Please post more detailed directions here, as I tried to go there today and had a terrible time. Gave up in the end after a couple of frustrating conversations.

What kind of directions? To the place itself? If you come from the city, moving outwards (to the harbour) on Zhonggang Rd., you should notice when you pass Donghai University (it’s on the left). From there, it’s uphill for a while. At the traffic light before the road is going downhill (Youyuan Rd.?) turn left and go on for a while. You will have just missed the DMV (on the left side) if you get into a more countryside-like area, they are about the last main civilisation outpost. (However it’s worth going on that road one day, nice scenic spot - but often crowded…)

You will probably notice all the shops on the left (before the DMV) relying on DMV-related business. Right between them is a small clinic that does the medical checkup for your license test.

[quote=“dl7und”]What kind of directions? To the place itself? If you come from the city, moving outwards (to the harbour) on Zhonggang Rd., you should notice when you pass Donghai University (it’s on the left). From there, it’s uphill for a while. At the traffic light before the road is going downhill (Youyuan Rd.?) turn left and go on for a while. You will have just missed the DMV (on the left side) if you get into a more countryside-like area, they are about the last main civilisation outpost. (However it’s worth going on that road one day, nice scenic spot - but often crowded…)

You will probably notice all the shops on the left (before the DMV) relying on DMV-related business. Right between them is a small clinic that does the medical checkup for your license test.[/quote]That’s the other DMV. Convenient if you live in the west of the city. Never been there. Do they offer the full range of services?

For the Beitvn Rd one, it would help me if I knew which way people were coming from. Anyway, here’s one way.

Go east along Chinhua (Jinhua) North Rd. Cross Chungde (Chengde) Rd. Later there’s a traditional market on your right. The intersection with Beitvn Rd. is just after this. Turn right onto Beitvn. Very shortly, you’ll see the DMV on your right. There’s a car park at the front, then some buildings. There’s a sign at the front, but not in English. It all looks quite official.

If you go too far, you’ll get to a pedestrian overpass.

Hope this helps. The maps in the Compass magazine and also in a new magazine, the Taichung Voice, are pretty useful. You can get these magazines in local “foreigner” restaurants and in some bookshops amongst other places.

I don’t know about heavy motorcycles, I moved away shortly before they were legalised. But everything else - yes.

I don’t know about heavy motorcycles, I moved away shortly before they were legalised. But everything else - yes.[/quote]Yeah, I don’t think the Beitvn one does the course for the big bikes (250cc +) either. I heard that there is a training/testing centre for those in Taichung but I don’t know if that’s true and if so, where it is.

Anyway, I imagine the regular licence is all that Stare and Bobdobba need, so either DMV should do fine.

One thing though, I think I’ve seen a DMV on Chung-Gang (Zhonggang) Rd, on the other side of the hill near Providence. Is it possible that they’ve changed the location? I think the road you’ve mentioned is where my friend goes mountain biking sometimes, so I’ll ask him whether the DMV is still there.

Hmm, I can’t really imagine they would relocate the whole facility - and just two kilometres or the like. But then, I haven’t been there for a while now…