🌴 Taitung | Places to Go

Really? That’s too bad if that is the case. The pictures look pretty good, but I know how that can be misleading.

I’m seriously starting to reconsider this. I think the ferry ride even would be enjoyable (get me near an ocean and I’m a happy person). Then if we had only one spot in mind, say, somewhere close by where we could snorkel (ideally a place with all the equipment and that has someone take you out), then it seems it wouldn’t be so hard/tiring to do in a single day.

Believe it or not, you can across the street from the ferry terminal, pick up your gear, and walk to the snorkeling area just to the right of the terminal exit. The staff will point everything out to you. However that spot is not great and it’s geared for the masses.

There are some much more beautiful places if you continue another 10 minutes further on a scooter. As you scooter along you just pick a spot, park and jump in. I really enjoy this area. We jumped in at the first spot and rode a few minutes more jumped in at the third spot and rode a few minutes more and jumped in four or five different places.

Take your wet socks or something to protect your feet. And not slippers because they will slip off on the rocks and in the water. The water is extremely clear and the earlier you go the better so the sun is directly into the water. You can see quite deep and even deeper than you would normally swim.

2 Likes

That sounds great. How often do the ferries run? Would it be preferred to go early on Saturday morning?

If so, maybe my friend and I can get our swim out of the way on Friday afternoon/early evening and then head to Green Island early Saturday.

One more if you don’t mind. It will be two families. Maybe that place right by the terminal exit would be preferred, especially since not everyone will be that adventurous. I guess we could rent scooters all of us. That much of a difference, and if so, safe? (I guess that’s two questions. I feel like a reporter.)

Ferries to Green Island thread:

So it seems just showing up at the terminal and buying is okay, but I think I still might try to buy in advance.

You can walk in and buy but it’s better to buy at least a day in advance. And also buy for the earliest ferry available that meet your needs. Sometimes other people like residents or fireman or police or good friends take priority and you’re removed from the ferry but then usually guaranteed for the next one.

1 Like

Taidong was awesome and beautiful. Swam 5000m at Flowing Lake, heard aboriginal music, went to Jin Jen Mountain, and then was just blown away on the drive between Hualien and Taidong. We stopped several times to take pictures and take in the scenery. Ended up swimming in a little cove in Taidong, and then played several hours in the waves at Jici Beach- not far from Hualien City.
P_20170826_095419_vHDR_AutoFB_IMG_1503674630670P_20170826_112838_vHDR_AutoP_20170827_131622_vHDR_AutoP_20170825_201850_vHDR_Auto

7 Likes

Amazing. Wish I am in Taidong right now…

1 Like

I’ve been to over 40 countries and I consider that drive one of the best of all. It’s especially great if you can take your time and then watch the impacts of the different weather from Sun to clouds to rain and all the different colors on the mountains and the water.

3 Likes

We always took the train. As we know, the train tracks don’t follow the coastline. We never knew what we were missing! It rained early that morning on the way back to Hualien so you can imagine how the clouds added to the magnificence.

1 Like

According to world renowned Taiwan expert MuchaMan, Taitung is the “zhongli of the east” coast of Taiwan. See his original post below. I still don’t understand what is his beef with Taidong.

I think people are more familiar and aware of Taidong than Zhongli. Tourists from all over the world go looking for Taidong. So saying Zhongli is the Taidong of the north makes absolutely no sense. Beaches and mountains compared to an industrial center? No comparison.

Sometimes people put random crap out there that doesn’t make any sense and this is one of those times. Ignore.

I agree with you. But MuchaMan happens to be a man of power & influence when it comes to opinions on travel destinations. Not sure if you know his real identity or if forum rules allow us to reveal real identities. But his words have real sway, or at least they used to.

It’s coming back to me now. Used to connect a name with that identity. And yes he has a lot of respect including from me. Maybe that article was one off. And I didn’t realize we are quoting that particular person. My bad.

Yo quiero ir!

Reviving this thread to say that this museum in Taitung, first established in 2002, has just undergone three years of renovations (!) and is finally set to reopen on May 19.

The revised exhibitions will reportedly situate Taiwan’s deep history (thousands of years before Han settlers found this place) to Austronesian cultures worldwide. It will also link this deep past to the present, with displays including artefacts such as Suming’s Golden Melody trophy which he won for the song “Aka Pisawad.” If you have not heard it, and are interested in contemporary Indigenous music in Taiwan, check out this stunning live performance from 2015:

If any forumosans have a chance to visit this latest iteration of this museum, let us know what you think. It’s now on my summer list.

Guy

3 Likes

Sanxiantai

Read on local Chinese language FB group that it’s opening on Feb. 5 (2024) ahead of ChNYr after over a year of work on it .
Went by it last year while under construction. Great pics of area as no one there except a local fisherman on a tidal rock.

3 Likes

藍色海灣(Bluebayou) in Donghe 東河 looks like a nice place to have some coffee or refreshments. View of Green Island on clear day.

Will say. Taitung is nice to visit in good weather. If the weather is rainy, there is absolutely nothing to do (unless you’re a crazy surfer).

I think things have changed, at least in Taitung City. With the range of excellent cafes in town, and the art museum, there are still nice things in town even on a rainy day.

Guy

Very interesting find.
View time: 15 minutes.

2 Likes