🌴 Taitung | Places to Go

Those are some great places. Thanks!

Indeed, muchas gracias.

I have been thinking about going back to Taitung for vacation. Since all the cool stuff is not around the train station, which area would be most advisable to stay in? Last time I was quite happy staying in a B&B close-ish to the train station -they drove us there when we needed- and I am not a friend of the scooter.

This is where we’re staying:

http://www.love-taitung.com/seawind/about.html

Just your basic B&B. I think around 2,000 NT per night for two beds. Clean, nothing special. This place provides breakfast but I’ve never eaten it since I stay there when there’s a triathlon race and I’m out the door very early. This place is within walking distance to Flowing Lake.

I’m sure there are hundreds of places like it in Taidong. There are also some decent local hotels like this one:

Also not far from Flowing Lake (but I don’t believe walking distance).

That is the thig. I was quite satisfie dwith te service provided at the last place I stayed in Taitung. The food was great, the guy that drove us very attentive. I was just wondering what else is there.

For exmple, what if we stay over at Chishang? Or closer to teh beach somewhere? I would be very happy to take a dip in the ocean since my skin cannot stand a swimming pool.

I once stayed at this place called Kazakuen

It comes with an ocean view

and a cat

Super cat lift off

2 Likes

@TaidongCouncil will probably have some good answers for you. This thread seems tailor made for him.

The Councilor has good answers for all of us.

Guy

1 Like

Ok, I don’t get out too much as I am so busy with my official duties, but here is a list of the activities that I have traditionally found to be the most rewarding:

1. Vote Buying. Sounds incongruous considering you’re giving away perfectly good money, but it’s for a good cause and just a small amount really when compared to the overall pot. You also get to have that warm fuzzy feeling of giving back to the community

2. Land Speculation. Ok, you will need some inside knowledge on the latest white elephant project about to be green-lighted, but if you do get the opportunity it’s a bigger rush than sky-diving when it all pays off

3. Bid Rigging: This is the kind of fun the whole family can enjoy - in fact many colleagues have been able to take their whole families on expensive overseas holidays thanks to the kick-back proceeds - some even buy houses for them while they are there

4. Budget Milking: Also known as ‘Money Running Up’. Basically an endless stream of public money going into your pocket - how good is that!?

If the above are not for you, then as Hansioux mentioned, the best thing about Taidong is the communing with nature, and in summer time, the best place to enjoy that is the beach after about 4pm

1. The safest family beach is Shan Yuan, about half way between Taidong and Dulan. It’s easy to spot because there’s a huge, illegal resort built right on the beach there. Enjoy your swim in the sheltered bay and witness first hand the sight of nature taking its revenge on a now derelict hotel. At night it’s possible to see those luminescent plankton things in the water

2. Green Island is a bit crowded on the weekends but it’s incredibly beautiful and apart from sightseeing, there’s the hot springs (try sneaking into the old ones built in the sea), and the snorkelling is world class. If you know how to snorkel then try to bring your gear with you so you can avoid the crowds - just find a sheltered bay and wander in - it’s all there just metres off the shore. If you like camping, the campground there is brilliant - the best views, hot showers, shady campsites with shelters, and usually there’s hardly anyone there

3. Orchid Island: Not necessarily more beautiful than Green Island and harder to get to, but it’s bigger and also the home of the Tao tribe and the culture is still strong there. Watch out for the nuclear waste though when swimming

4. The White Rocks in Dong He River: You will need to get down amongst it to get the full sensation but it’s definitely worth it. There’s a fairly steep but quite manageable ‘secret track’ on the northern bank about 2-300 metres in from Highway 11. If you spend enough time in Taidong you will hear lots of people waffling on about the special ‘energy’ of Taidong - inside Dong He River is a place where you can cut out the middle-man and enjoy your own direct conduit to the cosmos

5. Finally, and I will probably get in trouble with my boss for saying this, but here’s something you can safely skip: The Hot Air Balloons: A guest who paid $800 bucks for a ride that just went directly up to height of 20-30 metres and then came down, described it as about as exciting as looking over the balcony from a 10th floor apartment. A full trip costs $8000. Budget figures show that it costs 40 million each year to stage - while taking in paltry 2 million in ticket sales - and it’s rumoured to fit into the aforementioned ‘Budget Milking’ activity - if you’re lucky enough to be a part of that, then yeah, I’m sure it’s terrific fun

4 Likes

Let me shamelessly plug the videos we made in Taidong a while back. Some of the places T. Council suggests are in there, like Donghe.

5 Likes

hell to the yeah

That looks like about 10km from Taitung Forest Park (where Flowing Lake is located). Does that seem about right (you don’t have to check- just roughly, does that seem like I’m looking at the right place)? And the pictures I see look very nice. Maybe even bring our own snorkeling gear. And hopefully I can put our boogieboard to use (the waves at Baishawan were crap the last time we were there).

Edit: Looks like this is the place- 臺東縣卑南鄉杉原

Sounds about right

But seriously, just look for this typhoon-ravaged massive hotel on the beach - you can’t miss it

On either side of the bay, there is reef, which is not as good as the islands but still ok for snorkelling. There’s nothing to see in the middle section, which is basically sandy

Also probably not much chop for boogie boarding as the bay is sheltered - but great for kids coz there’s no rip to worry about

For boogie boarding you’d be better off at Dulan Beach - find the Italian restaurant (which has great authentic Italian pizza) across the bridge on the northern end of town - directly across the highway from there there is a road going down to the beach

Thanks for that. Then we’ll probably leave the boogieboard at home. The pictures of the beach look nice. I hope the blown out hotel doesn’t mess up the vibe too much.

Don’t get too excited about swimming or beaches.

This mostly surfing beach has very little sand. Mostly rocks about the size of a soccer ball. Hard to walk and very difficult for kids.

Yeah I never managed much swimming there, ocean is hard core there with steep dropoffs and rips in a lot of places.
Green island is an awesome spot it’s been too long…the wife doesn’t want to take the vomit comet though, the quick flight from Taidong airport is pretty groovy if have the $$$.

The ferry to Green Island is a breeze if the weather cooperates.

Might as well just fly from Taipei to green island if flying.

Really? That’s too bad if that is the case. The pictures look pretty good, but I know how that can be misleading.

I’m seriously starting to reconsider this. I think the ferry ride even would be enjoyable (get me near an ocean and I’m a happy person). Then if we had only one spot in mind, say, somewhere close by where we could snorkel (ideally a place with all the equipment and that has someone take you out), then it seems it wouldn’t be so hard/tiring to do in a single day.

Believe it or not, you can across the street from the ferry terminal, pick up your gear, and walk to the snorkeling area just to the right of the terminal exit. The staff will point everything out to you. However that spot is not great and it’s geared for the masses.

There are some much more beautiful places if you continue another 10 minutes further on a scooter. As you scooter along you just pick a spot, park and jump in. I really enjoy this area. We jumped in at the first spot and rode a few minutes more jumped in at the third spot and rode a few minutes more and jumped in four or five different places.

Take your wet socks or something to protect your feet. And not slippers because they will slip off on the rocks and in the water. The water is extremely clear and the earlier you go the better so the sun is directly into the water. You can see quite deep and even deeper than you would normally swim.

2 Likes

That sounds great. How often do the ferries run? Would it be preferred to go early on Saturday morning?

If so, maybe my friend and I can get our swim out of the way on Friday afternoon/early evening and then head to Green Island early Saturday.

One more if you don’t mind. It will be two families. Maybe that place right by the terminal exit would be preferred, especially since not everyone will be that adventurous. I guess we could rent scooters all of us. That much of a difference, and if so, safe? (I guess that’s two questions. I feel like a reporter.)

Ferries to Green Island thread:

So it seems just showing up at the terminal and buying is okay, but I think I still might try to buy in advance.

You can walk in and buy but it’s better to buy at least a day in advance. And also buy for the earliest ferry available that meet your needs. Sometimes other people like residents or fireman or police or good friends take priority and you’re removed from the ferry but then usually guaranteed for the next one.

1 Like