Taipei 101 - World's Tallest (Part 2)

Went up on Sunday - it wasn’t as busy as I thought: we had to queue for about 15 mins to buy a ticket, and then almost straight into the lift (ignoring the ‘suggested time’ on the ticket :slight_smile:). Once you’re up there, there is plenty of room - the whole floor is just an observation deck (no cafe or restaurant or anything), apart from the big weight in the middle.

I would suggest waiting until you get a really clear day before going up; Sunday was fairly clear by Taipei standards but I could only just make out YangMingShan and the CKS memorial hall. All the same, it was interesting to see Taipei from a different angle to normal. Looking south, you’re high enough to look over the hills and see how bits like Mucha & Xindian fit into the landscape. They had an audio tour which did a fairly good job of describing what you’re looking out (although it also had some really cheesey bits: “Did you know that Taipei is an acronym for Technology,A?,Innovation,People,Energy,I?” :astonished: ).

Less than exciting were the ‘worlds fastest lift’ (you can’t see anything, so there’s no sense of speed), and the big weight (although if you ‘luck out’ and are watching it when an earthquake hits, that could be fun!)

I’m planning to take a friend of mine who’s visiting me to Taipei 101. I have heard that the observation deck on the 89th floor is now open … is this true? how much does it cost? what times/days is it open?

Feedback will be appreciated…

teggs

[quote=“teggs”]is this true? how much does it cost? what times/days is it open?[/quote]Yes…350NT IIRC…not sure but should be most days & evenings.

AFAIK it’s open till 10pm (though you have to get up earlier) except Mondays.

This is what’s going to replace 101 at the top of the skyline:

The Burj Dubai. Final height: 2,691 feet. It’s under construction and is already the 8th tallest.

burjdubai.com/

Oooh, it’s lovely.

Dubai is ******* nuts

(Not my words)

They should plant and grow trees first … they have the money, they just proved it … than build tree huts in it and rent/sell them … would be popular amongst the earth richest bunch

Here’s a picture of the status:

Supposedly it currently has a height of 368m, which makes it the 11th world’s tallest building.

But the SWFC is still ahead with current height of 379:

101, your fame will fade away, very quickly…

Yeah let’s break it down and build 102 … euh, 101/2 … 101.2

Shanghai is the boner … they are going to be the worlds tallest for 2 weeks :slight_smile:

[quote=“belgian pie”]Yeah let’s break it down and build 102 … euh, 101/2 … 101.2

Shanghai is the boner … they are going to be the worlds tallest for 2 weeks :slight_smile:[/quote]

Shanghai financial center is only 492 meters, shorter than Taipei 101’s 508 meters, so it will not overtake Taipei 101 as world’s tallest. That is, unless the architects truly pop a surprise boner and erect a non-functioning steeple at the top to surpass 508 meters. Much like what architect William Van Allen did with the Chrysler building to surpass H. Craig Severance’s 40 Wall Street as world’s tallest back in 1930.

http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=130957

[quote=“Shiner”]Here’s a picture of the status:

Supposedly it currently has a height of 368m, which makes it the 11th world’s tallest building.

But the SWFC is still ahead with current height of 379:

[color=red]101, your fame will fade away, very quickly[/color]…[/quote]

Until Osama gets wind of it. I’m sure he’ll take exception to such a large “phallic” symbol being constructed so close to the “holy land.”

I heared Shanghai was going for the gold …

Yep, that was said but it isn’t correct:

They were discussing to put an antenna on top, but didn’t do it at the end.

A funny story is that the hole at the top was originally designed as a round hole. Since the investor company is japanese, the mayor of Shanghai requested a design change, because the round hole reminds to the rising sun in the japanese flag…

[quote=“Jaboney”]This is what’s going to replace 101 at the top of the skyline:
The Burj Dubai. Final height: 2,691 feet. It’s under construction and is already the 8th tallest.[/quote]
Ran across an interesting article on skyscrapers today. Excerpt:

1666 feet is “sinister”? :s
4444 feet, now THAT would be sinister. :smiley:

shanghai wfc so far looks really boring compared to taipei 101.

Nice illustrations at the end. The Empire State Building has long since been dwarfed, but it’s still by far the best looking one of them.

SWFC looks like a really big bottle opener.

I work for a lot of local architects and interior designers and when I have asked
them what they think of the 101, without fail they all say they hate it.
They mostly think that the architect CY Lee has his feet firmly planted in the last century and then the first half of it. The use of his signatory little clouds and overly chinese iconography make all these local design afficionados sneer.
At first I thought the 101 was quit cool but listening to those designers I can start
to see why this building is not much loved.
Often the Petronas Towers in KL are given as a example of good Asian high rise design.
I also heard that the occupancy rate is very bad, as people are too afraid of earth quakes up there, to get a bit of revenue they decided to sell tacky ads like the one of sony bravia
Anyway soon enough it will just be another tall building

Marc