Taipei: guest house with reasonable space for working?

Hi,

I’m currently renting a room in Kaohsiung, but I’m getting bored beyond what I could have ever imagined down here, so I was thinking of moving to Taipei for a couple of months and see.

I don’t want to commit long term, airbnb seems overpriced, same as anywhere else in the world, so I was just thinking of staying at a gh.

My main problem is that I work remotely (over the internet) from 6pm to around midnight.

So I’m looking for a cheapish gh, 10/15 usd night max., with a big enough common area to sit somewhere, plug my laptop and work. I could also set up shop in a 7/11, but my laptop won’t last that many hours on battery.

If the gh has common kitchen even better.

Anyone stayed in a gh that fits the description and could recommend?

You’re looking for a monthly rental of about NT$15,000. For that you could get a reasonably nice but smallish taofang (room with a private bathroom). I haven’t been able to find a hotel-like setup with single rooms at that rate in Taipei (and I’ve spent the last week or so searching).

If you speak Chinese or can find someone to help you, go to Mrs. Tsai, the lady who cuts keys on Longquan Street, right on the corner of the first alleyway that cuts over towards Hsinsheng Road from Shida Road. You can’t miss her if she’s there – she has a setup with a desk and chair, a rattan sofa, and usually a couple of friends hanging out chatting. She’s the local person who knows what’s for rent. I’ve gotten taofangs from her at that price range several times in the past for short-term rentals. Don’t know what the prices are doing now, but she’s definitely got the goods.

1 Like

Wow, l got spoiled down here in the South it seems, for a biggish room with attached bathroom in a shared apartment I’m paying 5000 including all expenses, and I’m sure it’s not the cheapest you can find.

In Taipei I had already given up the room option, I’m fine with a dorm, price aside, I’m also trying to get to speak more in Chinese, and I figured staying in a gh would give me more opportunities to talk. Meeting other people if you are not studying at some University or working is not easy, for the moment I just talk to the women at the market when I go buy food. So dorm doesn’t bother me, just looking for a place with a big enough common space, kitchen would be nice also, as I like to cook my meals and buy stuff at the market.

For 15000 you can check airbnb, there are some rooms with attached bathroom for that price, no contract to sign, no utilities to pay, you can stay a few days and if you like the place you can agree on a monthly rental directly with the owner, so you both avoid airbnb fees.

I read about the woman on the rattan chair in another post, I’m curious to pay her a visit when I’m in Taipei.

So… how should we say? Something like “彩太太,你好。聽說你認識很多這裡的房東”?

It’s 蔡, FWIW…

I guess I’d just say “A friend of mine told me that sometimes you have some information on taofangs for rent. I’m looking for one now, would you be able to give me any advice?”

She practically throws listings in my face when I see her, usually twice a year or so, but she also doesn’t seem to realize I’ve moved out of Taiwan, and I’ve been getting housing from her for so long (from way back when the payphone behind her “shop” was relevant) she probably figures I’d be on the street without her. LOL Anyway she was still there holding court in mid-January.