Taipei riverside bike path news

The stretch from Rainbow bridge all the way down to the end of the bike path in Nangang (south side Riverside Paths) is very well lit and there’s usually less people there during the day and night.

I think my average speed was 25km/h on a ride I did in that direction

Are you referring to that northernmost sticky-outy bit when you do the Nangang-Muzha-Nangang riverside loop? If so, I noticed that too when I did that route recently. A very welcome development indeed.[/quote]
Yes, that’s the one. The Shezi peninsula that’s called Shezi island in Chinese.[/quote]

Got it. I don’t think those fellows quite understand the meaning of “island”.[/quote]

Shezi was an island 40 years ago.

[quote=“cybertai”]
Shezi was an island 40 years ago.[/quote]
This piqued my interest, and after some googling, I found that Shezi had been an island up until 1975 when Freeway number one was being built. (Of course it wasn’t called Freeway number one back then since it was the only freeway in the country.) The freeway’s path is where the original waterway was, and not at the “neck” of the duck (the thinnest part of the peninsula) as I thought. So basically, the entire landmass north of the freeway was the island.

Very interesting. I had no idea. Thanks.

Soooo, I tried riding towards Xizhi from Dong Hu on the riverside paths a few nights ago and after passing the Dong Hu area and went up and around the bridge. I came to a completely halt due to zero lighting in the path.

Has it always been like this? How long does the path go without light? Because I see from the Nangang side that the bike path is lit going towards Xizhi.

[quote=“ranlee”]Soooo, I tried riding towards Xizhi from Donghu on the riverside paths a few nights ago and after passing the Donghu area and went up and around the bridge. I came to a completely halt due to zero lighting in the path.

Has it always been like this? How long does the path go without light? Because I see from the Nangang side that the bike path is lit going towards Xizhi.[/quote]

How far does the path go in the Xizhi direction.

[quote=“Feiren”][quote=“ranlee”]Soooo, I tried riding towards Xizhi from Donghu on the riverside paths a few nights ago and after passing the Donghu area and went up and around the bridge. I came to a completely halt due to zero lighting in the path.

Has it always been like this? How long does the path go without light? Because I see from the Nangang side that the bike path is lit going towards Xizhi.[/quote]

How far does the path go in the Xizhi direction.[/quote]

It should go all the way over near Xi Ke train station, then you have to cross the river to the south side of the river and then it goes all the way up to Wugu.

[quote=“ranlee”][quote=“Feiren”][quote=“ranlee”]Soooo, I tried riding towards Xizhi from Donghu on the riverside paths a few nights ago and after passing the Donghu area and went up and around the bridge. I came to a completely halt due to zero lighting in the path.

How far does the path go in the Xizhi direction.[/quote]

It should go all the way over near Xi Ke train station.[/quote]

Yes, it should. However, note that last time I went that way a couple of weeks ago, they were doing some work on the south side that blocked part of the route from Nangang to Xizhi. And it is a PAIN to find your way around there if you get bumped off the cycle path.

We managed, they have diminutive signs.

Yes, I managed too… but it’s a pain (especially if you don’t know the area).

Yes, I managed too… but it’s a pain (especially if you don’t know the area).[/quote]

Is that section of the bike path open again? Construction finished? Anyone know?

Will be some time.

There’s a brand new observation deck along Danshui river (on Taipei city side) just south of the freeway. It’s an amazing looking 3-story-high platform that affords a panoramic view of the river. On a nice day like yesterday, it’s the perfect place to view the sunset. The only problem is you gotta either carry your bike up the spiral stairs or lock it at the bottom and walk up. With all the new bike ramps that they’ve built leading into the riverside parks, they failed to put one up at the one place that needs it the most. :loco:

As of late February, the pedestrian/bike path from Nangang to Dong Hu is open!

However, do be careful, the surface of the path is very slippery (when wet).

[quote=“ranlee”]As of late February, the pedestrian/bike path from Nangang to Dong Hu is open!

However, do be careful, the surface of the path is very slippery (when wet).[/quote]

I can’t place this one at the moment. Could you point out on Google Maps or another where this path starts/stops?

[quote=“k.k.”][quote=“ranlee”]As of late February, the pedestrian/bike path from Nangang to Donghu is open!

However, do be careful, the surface of the path is very slippery (when wet).[/quote]

I can’t place this one at the moment. Could you point out on Google Maps or another where this path starts/stops?[/quote]

Nan Hu Bridge 南湖大橋
https://www.google.com.tw/maps/place/Nanhu+Bridge,+Taipei+City/@25.0630548,121.6118813,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x3442aca4033791e3:0xbd5165ec3e0651ee

North or south side?
And where is Donghu?

[quote=“ReneB”]North or south side?
And where is Donghu?[/quote]
It’s a bridge, so I’d assume it spans the river connecting the two sides.
Donghu, or east lake, is east of Neihu (“inner lake”).

[quote=“Incubus”][quote=“ReneB”]North or south side?
And where is Donghu?[/quote]
It’s a bridge, so I’d assume it spans the river connecting the two sides.
Donghu, or east lake, is east of Neihu (“inner lake”).[/quote]

About half a year ago, there was no pedestrian/bike path on that bridge that connects the north and south side of the riverside path.

If you’re cycling from one side of the riverside path to the other, it’s convenient, but if you’re just crossing from Nangang to Dong Hu, then you might as well stay on the “street” of the bridge.

I know everyone has already gone out or aching to get out and ride after the typhoon. Does anyone have any updates about the riverside paths?

I know from going out on Tuesday night that Rainbow Bridge to Zhong Shan Bridge on the south side is clear and safe.

I also know Rainbow Bridge all the way to Dazhi Bridge on the north side is clear as well.

Feel free to share your findings.