Taipei Summer Universiade 2017 :facebook:

https://topics.amcham.com.tw/2017/05/taipei-preparing-universiade-moment/

So that’s what that structure next to Daan sports center is for…

It’s a long read, but despite Mayor Ko’s, I don’t give af attitude towards his decisions and just does what he wants. I think he’s done a pretty damn good job in promoting active life in the city.

The Summer Universiade, which ranks as the second-largest multisport event in the world, exceeded only by only the Summer Olympics, will be the first large-scale international athletic competition that Taiwan has ever hosted.

That’s pretty damn legit if you ask me.

I don’t really follow international sports where it’s country vs country, but if tickets are not that expensive, I would really like to go attend a game or two. It would be cool to see the atmosphere and also say that I participated in a historical moment in Taiwan/Taipei.

Curious as to what the athlete village will be used for after the games end too.

And it looks like China will boycott them and not attend, which means no/fewer Chinese visitors and toilets in proper order!

1 Like

Only group competitions. Athletes will attend in individual sports.

Anyways, it should be fun. 12 thousand foreigners expected, and if the Kaohsiung Games were any indication, there will be plenty of fun.

Funny you guys brought this topic as I was brainstorming what to write about it.

Lower chance of athletic bearded men, in the summer. Sorry Icon.

The latest…

I had no clue Mayor Ko was the deciding factor in whether the Chinese Taipei or the ROC flag was to be used by spectators at the games in August…?

The city reiterated its position after a question-and-answer session at the Taipei City Council in which Taipei Mayor Ko Wen-je (柯文哲) responded “yes” when he was asked by independent Councilor Tung Chung-yen (童仲彥) if it would be acceptable for spectators to bring the Republic of Taiwan Flag designed by pro-independence supporters.

Got some nice renovated facilities out of it. Mostly in Taioei where they already have very nice sports facilities of course.
Glad they didn’t waste billions like the olympics.
I don’t see anything very interesting for me but I’ll have a look…maybe something for the kids…I’ve competed in international student competitive events before. Big twiddly-dee.
Locals will get all excited cos there has NEVER been an international event like this before here!! Supposedly they have it planned out pretty well.

As long as it doesn’t turn into a Sochi Winter Olympics, I think Taipei would be in the clear.

I settle for muscular, athletic types. That is eye candy enough. Beards I can Photoshop. Muscles take too much time.

Well, they only had to build 6 new venues -and they only royally scre**** up with Taipei Dome. However, the rest are ready. Refurbished, redesigned, repurposed, all done.

Hey everyone, FYI, tickets are on sale for the opening and closing ceremony

https://tickets.2017.taipei/

800NT for the cheapest ticket at Taipei Staidum (track next to Taipei Arena) is pretty good deal for A-lin and Wang Leehom performance AND to be a part of Taiwan history!

2 Likes

Hi,

Thanks for this info.

Can anyone tell me if the opening ceremony is really worth to attend ?

Thanks

Since (I think) the opening ceremony is the first of it’s kind in Taiwan, no one can really tell you if it’s worth it or not. If you don’t like it, no harm done since it’s not like 800NT puts a hole in your wallet.

However, based on the two a-list mando pop singers, 800NT a ticket is worth every penny. These two have sell out crowds wherever they go in Taiwan. Wang Leehom also sells out major stadiums in China where tickets are not cheap for a nose bleeder. Totally understand if you don’t follow the singers, but definitely worth considering due to the fact that this is a moment in Taipei/Taiwan history.

I’m curious, @hansioux can you verify this? Has their been any other international sporting tournament of this magnitude in Taiwan before?

Finally finding some stuff related to how many athletes are coming:

Argentina participará en 15 disciplinas con una delegación de más de 200 personas de 7 provincias Será la delegación más numerosa de la historia de nuestro país en un evento deportivo universitario de estas características.

Argentina is bringing 200 athletes. They will certainly attract some support from the locals who lived in Argentina, like, several thousands.

It took awhile for it to sell out

I did see them testing the lighting last Friday. Hoping for a good show in a month.

http://en.usports.ca/universiade/summer/2017/releases/delegation

Almost 300 canadian athletes will attend.

TORONTO (U SPORTS) – U SPORTS announced Tuesday 393 Canadians will be heading to the 2017 Summer Universiade, Aug. 19-30 in Taipei City, Chinese Taipei

Team Canada Website: http://en.usports.ca/universiade/summer/2017/index

Taipei 2017 Website: taipei2017.com.tw

As previously announced, the Canadian delegation includes five teams selected and managed exclusively in-house by U SPORTS, while all remaining teams are managed by their respective National Sport Organizations (NSOs). The 393-member delegation includes 276 athletes, 114 mission and support staff, and three referees in 16 sports.

“We are extremely proud of all of our Canadian university student-athletes and staff representing Team Canada at the 2017 Summer Universiade,” said Lisette Johnson-Stapley, Chief Sport Officer at U SPORTS. “The FISU Games are the second-largest multi-sport event in the world next to the Summer Olympics, providing a natural high-performance international pathway. At the Rio 2016 Games, 56 former Universiade participants competed, bringing home nine medals. One year later, we are looking forward to the next generation of Olympic stars making their mark in Taipei - the experience and memories they will take away will be life-changing.”.

About a month before the start #Universiade in #Taipei & Team SA 🇿🇦is looking forward to see you all in #Taipei @FISUnetwork @USSAstudent pic.twitter.com/L0P6x1wQZh

— Ilhaam Groenewald (@ilhaamg) 18 de julio de 2017

2 meter tall Koreans?! Oppas!!:heart_eyes:

Korea's #Universiade 2017 squad. 4 @KBL_official players and 8 college players lead by 206cm Lee Yoon-Su and 204cm Park Jong-Hyun. pic.twitter.com/5RftO7tLjk

— Claudine (@KlaudineCleine) 19 de julio de 2017
1 Like

It might…be in their best interest to shave their beards before coming to Taipei. Assuming this heat won’t settle in the coming month.

Shirtless Canadian athletes? :star_struck:

Second-largest multisport event in the world by what measure? Number of athletes? Countries represented?

At least two in the last 10 years.

World Games 2009, Kaohsiung
Deaflympics 2009, Taipei

I believe sports in those games were not competed in the Olympics, whereas Universiade is? Not sure, but you do make a valid point that the opening ceremony isn’t a first of it’s kind…but it will be my first

Makes me remember that film, Hear Me, Eddie Peng and Ivy Chen are in.

Second worldwide, per number of participants and countries participating and sports involved.

Like obviously a World Soccer Cup is more famous, moves more money, but less actual participants and only one sport.

1 Like