Taipei Summer Universiade 2017 :facebook:

Despite this, I really think they’ve done a good job organizing.

Aside from the mishap at the opening ceremony and the hieroglyphics of a ticketing system I think they’ve done a pretty good job organizing. I’m sometimes still in awe that this is happening in Taiwan.

The only thing I’ve seen (on TV), was during the women’s 68kg weightlifting. The order of competition got mixed up and country A went on stage to chalk her hands, only to come off and let country B go. I was confused.

My only complaint was the announcers constantly mixing up first name/family name order at the track and field. That gets old real quick. “A warm welcome to Olympic great Mr Lewis Carl!”

Reminds me of this video that was in the queue after I was watching some highlights on Youtube.

I think this is great mentality, especially hearing it from a college student. I don’t doubt a lot of the athletes not performing well was because of outer factors like weather and food. The news reports how great the cafeteria is, but I bet the food itself, especially prepared for that long and that many people, may tend to lack in quality after awhile.

There’s a joke running around the PTT-sphere where people were asking, why Chinese Taipei athletes were doing so well in a lot of events. Best reply was, “Because of those food trucks outside the cafeteria! We’re feeding them bubble tea and Taiwanese popcorn chicken everyday!”

1 Like

Damn, they threw away a match that for many of them will be the most important of their lives. Dominated the first set, went afk in the second one. Taiwan started the 3rd set 8-3 and lost 25-14, then the 4th set was kinda close but Ukraine was always ahead. It’s really a pity because our girls were much better than Ukraine, they just choked.

I wonder if our #15 Lee got some injury? She was amazing during the whole tournament and demolished Argentina, then against Japan and Ukraine she was almost never on the field.

Taipei 2017 Universiade - 世大運 - Taiwan vs Ukraine - 台灣 vs 烏克蘭. by Thomas "Bis" Passarini, on Flickr

Taipei 2017 Universiade - 世大運 - Taiwan vs Ukraine - 台灣 vs 烏克蘭. by Thomas "Bis" Passarini, on Flickr

P1380146P1380097

Costa Rican Daniela Rojas Gutierrez was my track hottie for the Universiade.

2 Likes

Athletes make some seriously funny faces. Why do some where red and some where blue shirts?

That question’s been haunting me for days…

I watched from the middle of the second set. They weren’t being out played, but were making some mistakes here and there on big points. Rough loss. They were playing so well early in the tournament too!

The player with the different colored uniform on every team is the bump/setter. They cannot serve or make offensive plays.

1 Like

Thank you.

Hua Yang, the girl in blue shirt, is incredibly expressive. Following her with the camera even outside of gameplay guarantees some nice shots.
Young Taiwanese girls love her, I wAited for them to leave the arena and basically everyone wanted to take a pic with her or get a signature. After 10/15 minutes she looked around and realized she was the only one fn the team still outside, everyone else was in the bus waiting to get back to the athlete’s village xD

1 Like

One of the officials from Central America was telling me how imprssed she was with the attendance to every event. She was really moved. It is funny she took pictures of the long sitting lines and posted them of Facebook.

I remember when I picked up my tickets there were these elementary school kids like a bit under my waistline height and they were so psyched they were going to see water polo. Who the heck is that enthusiastic about water polo at that age?!

And she played injured? Girl’s got spirit!

She’s pretty much the carry of the team even when she’s not on the field. During the match with Japan, when she was on the bench and started to cry, it was clear the match was over even if there was still 1 set to go.
Due to her injury it was very hard to play her role properly, she was very rarely the setter but she helped a lot in defence.

I really hope the games inspires some people to get out and be active.

Despite what the older folks are saying, I think it has been a great success. Nonetheless, I’m still curious to hear some criticism. The only bad thing I’ve heard is @IbisWtf gripe with the media are at the track, drunk naked college students in Linkou and the athlete’s not getting used to the food and weather.

FYI, Chinese Taipei did so well they are parading from the presidential building towards Ren Ai, tomorrow!

One more thing…

Some behind the scenes from a US TKD athlete.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy0L5Y5rtrE

Yeah, they actually filled the little big egg to the rafters last night, for a night when Taiwan had no real chance of gold. And the crowd stayed even after the 4x400 boys fell flat (while looking like dickheads for wearing sunglasses at night). I guess they wanted one last glimpse of Yang Chun-han getting his bronze for the 4x100. Just shows what a little momentum will do.

Yeah, my only gripe is the media area in the Taipei Arena, everything else was great. NTU sport center was amazing for media, as well as Nangang. Also, and this shocked me, pretty much everyone in the media areas could speak good/very good/exceptional English.

I can understand people not getting used to 35+C and a humid weather, but what’s the probl;em with the food? In the athletes’ village they are serving several style of local and international food prepared by a world leading catering service, when I went there everything looked and smelled great, wtf?

It is just a matter of micronutrients and water composition. It will affect them no matter what.

On that note, I have laughed a lot about the camera crews following the participants in their shopping sprees. As a matter of fact, I got quite a chuckle out of a classmate who lives in Linkou and caught a group of Korean athletes shopping in Carrefor. LOL.

Man, I saw a Japanese contingent while buying coffee at the Breeze mall. heck if I was paying attention to what they were buying, if you know what I mean.:heart_eyes:

I was a bit disappointed by the Japanese volley girls in terms of looks. Their average was not particularly high, even though #3 Imamura (of which I have 6 gorillion pics) is a thing of beauty.

Just noticed they lost 3-1 to Russia. I was cheering for Japan because Russia and Taiwan are fighting for 3rd place in the medal count, which is amazing for Taiwan anyway.

If it was the Japanese men’s volleyball team, I know what you mean. Gf was swooning when we were watching that JPN vs TW match. One of them had a beard too.

This…

A lot of the athletes all knew bubble tea and said they had it at home, but it just didn’t compare to Taiwan. I blame the water!