Taipei Summer Universiade 2017 :facebook:

LOL, today’s article about Universiade is written by yours truly… and the boss is not here. :smiling_imp:

Full access to the whole Universiade photo files, buahahaha!

2 Likes

This is definitely my favorite in your album.

Taipei 2017 Universiade - 世大運 - Taiwan vs Ukraine - 台灣 vs 烏克蘭. by Thomas "Bis" Passarini, on Flickr

Just shows the amount of heart that goes into EVERY single point.

2 Likes

She’s really cool! And she also made me happy when yesterday she arrived at the arena. I was near the area where athletes need to walk to get to their locker room. I had my packback on the ground and I was fiddling around with lenses. I looked up and saw her, she saw me, recognized me and came to me to thank me for the pics (along with a:“Wtf you speak Chinese” moment). We even had a quick chat while they were waiting to get on the bus.

The main reason why I’ve attended this event is to give extra coverage to all our young athletes because for many of them this may be the most important sport event in their lives. Some may be too busy to become professional athletes, others may lack the skill/talent, so I think they deserve as many good memories as possible from the Universiade. Having some of them recognize me and thank me in person means a lot to me. I just wish the scedule (both the timing and the locations) didn’t cut me off from certain venues, but not much I could do about it.

4 Likes

Maybe it was discussed and I missed it or skipped it, but does the TW’ese gov put money into the athletics programs, or is it all based on sponsorship our out-of-pocket from the athletes family? As I understand it, school-sponsored extracurricular sports programs are either extremely rare or non-existent. Understand I am looking at this through American eyes, where HS and collegiate athletic programs run the gauntlet (inevitable Title IX discussion…) and are extremely popular and have, indeed, become an institution in themselves.

I’m not sure how the sponsoring/support of youth sports works, but the female volleyball team has something like a Kickstarter compaign (not on Kickstarter, though) to fund a movie about volley and the money will be used to buy basic stuff needed for their organization. So my wild guess is they don’t get much money 8(

Yilan-ders black voodoo magic: re-C.O.N.F.I.R.M.E.D

It’s not even just the local athletes, it’s all of them! In some of the sports, you can really tell the difference between those that will go pro and those that are better than average student athletes.

Despite each and every athlete’s results, it’s their time to shine and for us to treat them like star athletes.

It really sucks to be an athlete in Taiwan. Government gives you close to nothing and we all know what the mind set towards sports is like during K-12 here in Taiwan. If you’re not in a buxiban after school, you won’t make it in life.

An example of government not giving athletes any support is Taiwan’s No.1 women’s cyclist, Huang Ting Ying. She’s the first women to represent Taiwan at the Olympics (at Rio) and her team was a coach and a mechanic. She’s got sponsors that provide her the necessary equipment, but just not a huge ass team to support her like many national athletes would in the states.

Anyone see this?

https://www.facebook.com/edgarlin.vp/videos/10159261683505506/?hc_ref=ARSfHtni8PlUcSVZpEO4uBLtDK8kaJMKtuDES-LGRLJovFrxTS22D3a7P_Ev5uV74nU

Dance off between Japan, Chinese Taipei and Australia women’s basketball. Hahaa!

1 Like

What in the world did I just watch.

Highlight if closing ceremony was definitely Mayor Ko’s speech. Only…his speech.

My hero of the Universiade is whoever was inside that Friggin Bravo suit. In this heat. My heroes multiplied today. Cute Bravo. Tennis Bravo. Taekwondo Bravo…

Half of the closing ceremony was a techno concert, then Pasta people doing Pasta people things. Even with no protesters they finished late and I got home close to 2am -_-

Today athletes parade, yay!

1 Like

I liked A-bao and Chairman in the pre-show. All downhill from there. Inviting Chairman, who are rabidly anti-China and anti-KMT was genius.

I nearly fell asleep during the pasta performance. I was already very tired by that time and that was the nail in the coffin. I turned off a camera and kept the other one ready for the fireworks, then basically had a quick nap before the techno insanity.

Today some of the volley girls may join the parade, gogogo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGrm18BaTSQ

Tsng Kit-sing (莊吉生) won a gold medal for tennis. In his interview he answered some of the questions in Taigi because he was born and raised in the US and his parents spoke Taigi with him as a child. He claims to not speak Mandarin very well as he only studied it in college, although when he did switch to Mandarin, it sounds fine.

The closing ceremony

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLR03vbEKXw

best part start at 4:01 (4 hours in)

1 Like

FB_IMG_1504144704270

There are many evil reasons to like this photo. :smiling_imp:

1 Like

We were all for seeing some kind of cultural performance from Napoli, but holy wow that lasted awhile. A few friends got together and everyone was entertained by the singer, but the dancing put us to sleep as well.

Highlight was definitely Mayor Ko’s speech for me. He actually wore the same suit to the closing ceremony in Gwangju. His English isn’t half that bad either.

I detest him but his English has always been pretty decent.

Ko <3

You know when he knows he’s BAMF when he’s got some major hidden messages in his speech. All of us watching in front of the TV were laughing so hard when he finished his speech and continued to put up his two hands in victory.

1 Like

He’s pretty awesome as a mayor, and his ability to generate butthurt gives me power.

3 Likes

Dang can’t see it in america for some reason.