Taipei Summer Universiade 2017 :facebook:

Not sure if it should go here or on the weather thread, but whoever planned the schedule for the Universiade is a lucky mofo because it sneaked right between a typhoon and today’s “holy shit the rain is horizontal, Forrest was right all along” weather.

Friends were talking about this as we were watching the closing ceremony. Seems like 老天爺 really favored the games haha

Some of the gf’s friends were all rolling eyes at her for being so into Universiade. At first, I thought, do they not love Taiwan? This is a huge event that has the potential to let the world learn a little about how great we are. Is that so bad? Then I realized that a lot of them aren’t that into sports. So despite the success of the event and having Taiwan be seen on an international stage as a country that can host a successful international event, gf’s friends just don’t care enough about sports to…care.

The great US Olympian, Carl Lewis, even said that the events and opening ceremony were on par with the Olympics.

100% correct, the organization for this Universiade was on par with some of the regular Olympics or other large sport events. Shocking (in a positive way) to see so much effort put into an event for young athletes. It’s the kind of event that can boost the sportive culture of a generation, because all teenagers and young kids have now seen what it is like and they can be inspired by it.

They didn’t sell it as a “poor man’s Olympics” as it often happen in other countries, they put all of the focus on the young athletes and it made it a great experience for all of them. The slightly unexpected response from the public and insane attendance surely helped as well, because I’d have never expected to see a sold out (or 90%+ full from where I was) arena for a placement Water Polo match between Greece and Argentina in Taiwan.

1 Like

Sorry guys, I haven’t read through all 500 or so posts (!), but is there any information in English on the aboriginal ethnic make-up of the athletes who medaled? I was in Hualien and Taidong during the games and this was a hot topic of discussion among the people I was hanging with. For example, the 100m gold medalist’s mother is supposedly from Tabalong in Hualien (next to Guangfu). Thanks.

Here’s something in Chinese:

Japanese athletes were reported to clean up a park in Taipei. I interpret this to mean that the Japanese couldn’t stand how dirty Taipei is and took matters into their own hands. Yes, I realize that there are dirtier places than Taipei, but it’s still funny.

I really don’t think this was the intention. And if it could be so interpreted, I really doubt the Japanese would do it.

…or

Taiwan donated the most funds to Japan during their earthquake/tsunami a few years ago and the athletes did not forget, so this is the least they can do?

So glass half empty.

1 Like

Or they’re preparing for a new invasion and want to make sure everything is clean in advance?

Sarcasm aside, I could not see the Japanese cleaning a place then invading it. It’s bound to get dusty from all the bombs…

Normally, you don’t go to a foreign country and start picking up trash for no reason. That’s a really odd thing to do. If someone showed up outside my house and starting cleaning stuff for no reason, I’d take that as a sign they didn’t like mess and were taking matters into their own hands.

Miltenberger subtype III has some benefits of increased CO₂ and oxygen exchange. Though the genetic makeup alone isn’t the crucial thing that makes these athletes successful.

There are plenty of small genetic traits that allows better adaptation to certain environments. Like Caucasians and North Asians have lighter skin (from different mutations) to allow more vitamin D production, so they are more likely to survive in long winters with less sunlight, or the Tibetans inheriting mutations in the EPAS1 gene from Denisovans, another branch in the Homo family, to allow better adaptation to high altitude.

None of these thing magically makes one a better athlete without modern scientific training and support system from the government.

If better oxygen respiration automatically means better athlete, the Sherpas should be winning all the medals.

I hope this will not wake up the crowd of:" genetical differencies are biased and studied only by white supremacist scientist".

I await the world takeover by third nipple supremacists, and all the third nipple based pseudo science research. I’m gonna be a minority in that world, but if the world has to have some kind of supremacists, that’s one group I’m ok to be oppressed by.

I won’t disagree with any of that. It was just the only article I had on hand.

I personally think culture plays the biggest role. For example, sports for kids is stressed quite a bit among the Amei that I know. And there are plenty of role models around: at just about every big gathering you’ll see this professional athlete and that. This also feeds on the culture and motivates the kids to try even harder.

Then I imagine the support system from the government is not so great in later years, whereas in college in the US, for example, the support system only gets better. That’s why many track and field athletes from other countries end up training in the US. I guess 許淳欣 also trained in the US for some time.

Hopefully, the Universiade will help things in this respect.

Maybe the reports didn’t say that they or fellow athletes made the mess and they were picking up after themselves?

It’s true, kind of odd that they just…decided to pick up trash. :smiley:

Maybe it was just some kind of secret Japanese training? Grab rubbish, throw rubbish, wax on, wax off.

They aimed for 102 medals, but only got 101.

https://data.2017.gov.taipei/atos/prod/eng/zz/engzz_general-medal-count.htm

They have brought shame upon thy country.
Punishment by grabbing rubbish and throwing rubbish.

1 Like

I think it was meant as a sign of respect toward Taiwan. I don’t get it either but I think we shouldn’t laugh at it. Here they’re picking up after themselves, but I bet a more thorough check would reveal instances similar to what they did in Taiwan (I’m too lazy and don’t really care much about this issue).

1 Like

Unfortunately, I dont’ think we have any Japanese members on the board to explain this phenomenon.

Wait! @fjp008 care to shine some light?

恥ずかしい: Shameful

In Japan we wash our household trash before sorting and throwing it away (yes, you read that right). The entire community does it so if you’re the only nasty one then it’s gonna be pretty 恥ずかしい.

I’d say the “stadium cleaning” occurred mainly to avoid this feeling.