Taipei, Taichung, Kaohsiung

Greetings, everyone

I have an interview coming up with one of the larger language schools in Taiwan. A friend of mine is currently living there, in Taipei county, but I’d like to get peoples’ impressions of three of the areas I’m consdering as a place to live and work.

1. Taipei/Taipei county

2. Taichung

3. Kaohsiung

Any impressions of these cities? I’ll confess I don’t know w a lot about Taiwan … any significant plusses/minusses in terms of these cities, such as public transit, nightlife, friendliness to foreigners, ease of life for an English-speker …

Any and all opinions gratefully accepted.

What are you wanting from Taiwan?

users2.ev1.net/~turton/housing.html

Valid question …

I’m looking to live in an environment where there’s relatively easy access to transit, markets, some nightlife, and the opportunity to make some contacts, both with locals and expats.

If possible, I’d like to avoid any seriously heavily polluted areas, as well as extremely crowded areas.

Like I mentioned initially, I don’t know a whole lot about Taiwan, and am looking for impressions from people who have lived there, or travelled there, and have formed some first-hand opinions of what are and aren’t attractive areas to live.

been here for 3 years. spent my first 9 months in ShiJr… wouldn’t recommend it when first arriving. I have never felt so isolated in my life.

have lived in taipei for over 2 years and have grown tired of the pollution, traffic, regualr big city hassles. however, i loved taipei when i first moved here… a ton of western coveniences… even more now with 101. it’s gotten a lot cleaner, there are tons of clubs, bars, etc… big gorgeous parks and close to lots of neat places to see on the weekend that are out of the city.

however number 2… i prefer what i’ve seen and the general vibe of taizhong. foreigners are friendlier, there seems to be higher quality western restaurants, and someone is always organizing some fun event…

but i think i’m just tired of taipei and the clusterfuck it is and need a change of scenery.

I recommend you come here and decide for yourself. Take a look around and pick a place that suits you.