🏝 Taitung - Lanyu/Orchid Island/Green Island| Ferry Service

And……… a few have landed upside down in the past

Everyone got out ok though. Far as I know

I just like the ferries where you can sit in the back outside. On our only trip to Lanyu we did that, no problem. On a trip to Green Island we had to sit inside, and there was a lady puking the whole time, horrible experience.

I plan to cycle along the eastern coast and I would like to visit Green island and stay there 1 night - probably on 14.-15.11. How difficult it is to get the ferry boat ticket? Do I have to reserve place in advance? Can I bring my bike? I tried searching online but I found only webs in chinese and I dont speak chinese :cry:

Also any recommendation for cheaper hotel / B&B on the island that is bike friendly? Thanks

I myself have never had a problem getting a ticket to Green Island or Lanyu from the port in Taitung (Fugang Harbor 台東富岡漁港). Just show up in the morning and buy one for the same day. November is not tourist season so getting a ticket should be easy, but the number of daily boats is probably reduced from the summer season.

You’ll be hard pressed to find an English website but you can use Google Translate. Here is the boat schedule.

You can book tickets in advance at the link in the above webpage (again, you’ll need to use Google Translate).

Once you make a reservation, you then pick up the tickets at the port on the day of your travel. This online booking can only be made for round trip tickets. Note that sometimes boats are cancelled due to weather.

About taking your bike, I’ve read on several people’s blogs that they were able to take their bicycle for a nomimal fee (NT100). Make sure to tell the ticket person that you want to bring a bike because maybe not all of the boats accept them (?)

Regarding accommodations, you can probably find more deals using Chinese language sites, but booking [dot] com is English friendly and there seems to be quite a number of places available for those dates when I just checked.

4 Likes

Thanks, I will show up in the morning and rely on my luck :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like