Taitung = Zhongli of the East Coast, huh?

Its been widely said on this forum that Taitung is the Zhongli of the East Coast, I’ve never been to Zhongli and its been 30 years since I went to Taitung. What exactly does that comment mean? I assume its not a compliment. Is Taitung really a total dump to be avoided at all costs? I’m planning a trip to the east/southeast coast of taiwan and thought taitung would not be a bad place to base oneself. Or is that totally wrong?

Widely said? Never seen this comparison. In any case, total BS. The two places have next to nothing in common, except for the things every town in Taiwan has in common with any other town (ugly buildings, 7 Eleven’s, scooters). You don’t want to spend much time in the city itself anyway, but hit the beach, the hot springs or the mountains and the East Rift Valley, none of it you’ll find in or around frickin Zhongli. :doh:

Taitung is a great place to base yourself for having fun on the east coast, and in my opinion, it’s one of very few livable cities in Taiwan. However, you’ll definitely need a motor vehicle, preferably a car.

Bike rentals are also readily available. As a matter of fact, most mingshu or hostels offer free bicycle use to guests or the hosts drive you around to the bus or train stations if so required. Plus there are several tour bus lines that regularly take you to and from the main attractions. If all else fails, taxi is reasonably priced and they wait for you while you sightsee.

I liked Taitung very much and plan to go back as soon as the fields turn green again. There are plenty of food/lodging choices and transportation is not an issue.

Most of my time in Taiwan has been in Taoyuan, so I know Zhongli. My ten months in Hualian was often spent riding my scooter along the coast to Taidong. What I experienced is exactly as hannes describes. The comparison sounds ridiculous.

Ok, maybe 1 comment is a far cry from “widely said”. Anyway, below is the original comment from Muzha Man written in April 2013 in another post regarding the whereabouts about Robert Storey. Any comment from a LP writer should be treated with the utmost respect and seriousness IMO, not to be lightly discarded. :notworthy:

“RS lives in Luye, one of the most beautiful parts of the east, and he chooses to open a place in Taidong, the Zhongli of the east? Don’t really get that decision. Too bad, it would have been fun to write in the new Lonely Planet that the old author now has a guesthouse.”

MM has always been rather down on Taidong. You’d have to ask him why.
I’d rather live in Luye than Taidong City, but the latter has plenty of stuff going for it.

Muzha Man, what’s your beef with Taidong??? Informed citizens would like to know! :notworthy:

I’m not sure what MM will say. But based on my limited experience, my take on Taidong City is that it appears to be a dispersed and dysfunctional and somewhat dumpy town with a train station that’s been (re-)located to a ridiculously remote location way off from the city center. Compared to the relatively compact and walkable small communities in the area (example: Yuli), it comes off rather poorly.

Taidong City fans: if I’m missing the true spirit of the place, please correct me. I’d love to know how to better appreciate this place.

Guy

Just spend the last 4 days in Taidong. A lovely town to be based in and pretty central to explore surrounding areas. In the town itself, great options for food, drinks, and cultural activities. Within the town itself, a bicycle will get you literally anywhere within 15 minutes. To visit surrounding areas during the day, we rented a car so no big deal that the train station is a few km outside town centre. Relative to other Taiwan townships, not dumpy or dysfunctional at all. We also checked out other nearby places such as Dulan and Luye and I’d much rather be based in Taidong. Really don’t understand MM’s hatred of Taidong. He must have a personal axe to grind with the place and its lovely citizens.

You should post a separate topic since the original topic doesn’t have any relevance and doesn’t make any sense. How about “Taidong. A lovely town to be based in and pretty central to explore surrounding areas”.

You should post a separate topic since the original topic doesn’t have any relevance and doesn’t make any sense. How about “Taidong. A lovely town to be based in and pretty central to explore surrounding areas”.[/quote]

The post is related to the topic, no need do split it. But thanks for the suggestion.