Taiwan, a violent place?

Violence in Taiwan is almost unheard of, at least when foreigners are concerned. Of course episodes of fights, verbal abuse, road rage and such have accumulated over the years and get reported and highlighted much more than the huge number of normal, quiet days one lives on this island.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

[quote=“headhonchoII”]It’s not so bad, except for the time I was in LA and told me and my Taiwanese gf were in the wrong place and to go now (friendly suggestion) by two black teenagers. I said where do you get a taxi? They said they won’t stop here. We will call you one. Nice folks. The place just looked like a regular suburban strip mall but 99% of the clientele were black, very ghettoised America in parts.
[/quote]

In America, any mention of black criminality is taken as proof of racism on the part of the mentioner. On the other hand, the soft bigotry of lowered expectations is considered an enlightened point of view.

We have free speech, but it’s only for those who don’t care what others think of them.

[quote=“rowland”]
We have free speech, but it’s only for those who don’t care what others think of them.[/quote]

Maybe that’s because “Free speech without consequences in terms of judgement, criticism and need to argue one’s opinion” was never a right anywhere?

Don’t conflate violence with murder. Taiwan’s murder rate is relatively high, but I wonder how the numbers for assault, etc. stack up to the US.

There’s a shit load of passive aggressive behaviour in Taiwan, so damaging things like cars is really common, deductions from pay checks, they mainly avoid direct confrontation.

Meanwhile things could be worse, in the US Bieber is facing a FELONY charge for egging his neighbours house.

Police state anyone?

i highly doubt that. where’s the statistics proving that it’s high?

Someone put a link a couple of pages back.

i highly doubt that. where’s the statistics proving that it’s high?[/quote]

Try reading through this thread.

Try reading through this thread.[/quote]

nah i read the news. more reliable.

When the proof is literally a click (or two) away and you refuse to investigate, you’re pretty much entering UFO conspiracy theory and Birther territory.

Try reading through this thread.[/quote]

nah I read the news. more reliable.[/quote]

The news here are only good for learning about how good is this Tofu or that cake that idiot bakes. Yummy!!!

I don’t like moving back. I move forward.

[quote=“headhonchoII”]There’s a shit load of passive aggressive behaviour in Taiwan, so damaging things like cars is really common, deductions from pay checks, they mainly avoid direct confrontation.

Meanwhile things could be worse, in the US Bieber is facing a FELONY charge for egging his neighbours house.

Police state anyone?[/quote]

With all the possible reasons to charge him they picked eggs?

Sent from my fingers using the internet.

[quote=“skoster”][quote=“headhonchoII”]There’s a shit load of passive aggressive behaviour in Taiwan, so damaging things like cars is really common, deductions from pay checks, they mainly avoid direct confrontation.

Police state anyone?[/quote]

With all the possible reasons to charge him they picked eggs?

Sent from my fingers using the internet.[/quote]

Off topic:
One of his pals took the fall for what looked like cocaine but was something else… and I don’t mean baby powder.

Back on topic:
Recently, there was a spat of attacks on luxury cars, like Beemers and Mercs, using air guns. Caught one of the guys, he claimed he hated rich people because they flaunted their money…

I’ve tutored kids from Africa. They much prefer the US to the actual third world, which they tell me is a much worse place than the sterotypical one. People I know from Honduras tell me the worst slums of Massachusetts are preferable to home. I wonder if Pingdong is going out of his way to find trouble.

Been to Manila. A guy tried to pick my pocket in broad daylight with no else nearby. Got to give him points for chutzpah. That never happened to me in the US. Not even in New Jersey.[/quote]

fair enough, but i know people from Africa who prefer there to US any day as well… Africa is a big land, and is also one of the most war torn places on earth. but there are lots of good places there. USA is localized in its street violence, sure, but there are HUGE nationwide problems. no point discussing them here, but i think people are pretty much informed enough to know about USA’s issues by now.

Manilla is a shit hole, one of many black holes. that said the Philippines is one of my favorite places on earth because of how nice the people are there. sure, some areas have huge issues, but overall the peoples outlook on life is easily far more positive than people in Taiwan. Granted i have not been everywhere in philippines, but i have been around a number of places there and i tend to do the local bit when i travel.

the point o fmy previous post is not to cause trouble but prevent trouble for people. I see a lot here, and i will say this one more time. If you don’t want to see violence in Taiwan dont fuck with…

-another mans woman
-Money/business
-pride
-family

taiwan doens’t like showing violence, but i certainly do equate murder, which as noted is common here, with violence. and if you mess around with the above mentioned things, especially number 1, you may find out just how mentally ill some people here are. there are actually quite a lot of mental problems with people here, and in Taiwan self reflection is all but non existent and denial is near 100%, so treatment is is rarely sought and would be embarrassing as hell to admit. not to say people dont try to get help sometimes, but often people suffer alone and self medicate. some can handle it, others cant. In Taiwan you just dont see it often as its “hidden” in many senses, but it exists and be aware of it if you are out and about and let your ego get the better of you…In this regard if one is ignorant and polite, life will be bliss in Taiwan.

I know a few black people here. There was a pair of sisters who are from Africa and they seem to like it, the other one is American and she likes it here too. She doesn’t seem to be facing anymore discrimination than she did back home… From what she says though it did seem like where she’s from is very racist.

Taiwanese violence is almost never race related, it is ego/money related. Racially speaking, its a really safe country. But if your ego outweighs your common sense, or you borrow what’s not payable, you are in a world of fucking hurt.

racism in Taiwan, for the most part, is only skin deep and frankly hillbilly like. Don’t get that serious psycho white privilege related stuff, like in the west, out here.

racism in taiwan is never violent like in the west with skin head incidents and race riots. even soccer games in europe become racially charged. taiwan doesnt have the racial diversity and history that western countries have. i still dont believe that theres “a lot of violence” in taiwan that some of you say. if you dont do the wrong things and stay away from such people who would be prone to violent behavior - as in any country - then you will generally not be in any risk of violence.

[quote=“Pingdong”]Taiwanese violence is almost never race related, it is ego/money related. Racially speaking, its a really safe country. But if your ego outweighs your common sense, or you borrow what’s not payable, you are in a world of fucking hurt.

racism in Taiwan, for the most part, is only skin deep and frankly hillbilly like. Don’t get that serious psycho white privilege related stuff, like in the west, out here.[/quote]
I met this absolutely awful guy from Philadelphia. He was subbing a class at my school. I met him at the water cooler before class and within about 30 seconds of meeting he said something extraordinarily racist. :noway: I can’t remember how the conversation went there, but he must have brought it up out of the blue. I just stood there in stunned silence and then finally said, “Well…in California we like our black people.” which is one of the stupidest responses I’ve ever come up with, but I was just so shocked.
I later found out that he was spewing his filth to my students for two hours. I wish I could slap that guy. Seriously. What a fucking loser. If you are on this forum, please get out of this country and go back to Philadelphia and get your ass kicked because you are retarded.

I wonder how many people he’s influenced =(

Well, in Taiwan many people are racist. They deny it at every turn, but the truth is everyone here is racist to a point. Same thing happens in almost every other country, by the way. People have little tolerance to difference, and obvious reasons like the colour of the skin just make the issue pop out. I’ve seen educated taiwanese girls mocking a friend of theirs because she liked going to the beach and her skin was getting darker “like the indonesians or the filipinos”. My wife was told “but he’s not black, is he? thank god!” when she told people she was dating me. That same people deny being racist when asked, by the way. Well, there goes your tolerance.

Regarding violence, I think is a cultural problem. Someone pointed out that there are many homicides/assassinations, but aside from that, everyone agrees there’s usually little violence in public places (bar fights, for example). Well, here comes my theory of the pressure cooker.

People here are subject to a constricting lifestyle. Don’t go against your boss or coworkers, don’t complain, do what’s asked, work insanely long hours with no compensation, stand being treated like shit with a smile and come back asking for more shit, etc. All of that builds up pressure. In western countries, people under that kind of stress go out to watch a football game and shout his lungs out, or go to the bar, has drinks, and if a situation should arise, will enter a mild bar fight, get a black eye, and so on. Really stressed people will search for professional psichological help (which is really looked down here in Asia), and the psychologist may recommend a hard exercise program or prescribe medication to let go of all that pressure. There are many possible safety valves, strenous exercise or whatever that gives you a rush of adrenalin are viable alternatives.

Now, in a society when people is building up pressure almost constantly, but find difficult to release it, time bombs appear. People are not so hardwired on respecting the rules of the road, so here enters the road rage, with people driving like cocaine-snorter monkeys. For many of those, their daily commuting becomes their vent, until it becomes their COD. In those cases in which the road rage is nonexistant or not enough, something inside the brain is going to break. Here come the pointless assassinations and homicides for reasons like “he wouldn’t buy me that purse I was askinghim for”, or the most recent and shocking, an aunt putting a huge amount of salt into his brother’s child baby powdered milk, causing the death of the months-old baby. That person is obviously not sane, by the standard definition of the term. Shocking news like that happen from time to time, much more often than one would expect from a country with Taiwan’s population.