Taiwan, a violent place?

LOL, I was thinking corn empanadas… empanadas con frijoles!

Tamales, then.

Anyways, tacos, empanadas, tamales… say the word, I’m there.

This one:

DP

Wasn’t that long ago, Taiwanese would differentiate themselves with Benshenren and Waishenren. And some families were very opposed to their daughters and sons marrying someone from the other group.

And not that long ago people from Taipei would kind of look down on the “hicks” from Kaohsiung.

Foreigners in those days were just about 99pct Americans. So they just referred to them as Americans if they wanted to be nice. But in general Taiwanese preferred to call them Tokpeeah (big nose).

Waiguoren , the new term is considered a nice term by the TAiwanese. NOt considered offensive by them or meant to be offensive. But it really means a white person though. SE Asians are not referred to as Waiguoren although they are.

Taiwanese visiting America still refer to the local white people as Waiguoren, when in fact, of course they are the ones who are in this case.

I personally prefer it to TOkpeeah.

I don’t think TAiwanese in general are violently racist, but they are racist though. They are not going to stab someone because they are different but they sure are going to stare and talk about them openly. And they still won’t initially believe that you can actually speak Chinese.

Im eurasian. I remember being in an elevator in Taiwan and two young ladies were talking about me in TAiwanese. Ok, they weren’t that young because nowadays they would be speaking mandarin.

I almost wanted to speak to them in my fluent Taiwanese, but I thought that would be rude.

And actually they were the ones being rude, but only nice things were being said about me. So that excused them in my mind.

another ugly racial soccer incident in europe this time in spain, speak of the devil. i used to think germany was the more racist european country and spain one of the friendliest. but my impression has changed. and the fact that the crowds also targeted the player’s 5 year old son is pretty sickening:

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/1950353-real-madrids-marcelo-and-son-reportedly-racially-abused-by-atletico-madrid-fans?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial&hpt=hp_t2

sorry folks, this type of hateful racism does not exist in taiwan no matter how much some of you would like to imagine it does. like i said, racism and violence in the west is in a league of its own.

Well I wouldn’t call one country or one city ‘the West’ .

Icon, your cruelty in posting those photos was immeasurable. I just went on a trip with all Taiwanese friends, and all we ate was Taiwanese food the whole time.
Since I’m a vegetarian, this means that for the last five days of my life all I ate were slimy brown things and vegetables prepared the traditional Taiwanese way: add copious amounts of salt and oil, then simmer on low for anywhere between 45 min and six hours until the veg loses any unique texture, color or taste that it was endowed with by nature. To be brief- limp piles of sloppy glop.
I sucked it up and said nothing for 4 days, but finally had a melt down on the last day of the trip. My companions very happily made fun of me, “Wo yao western food, ah hahahhahah, wo ya western food ahhahhahahah!” but when he saw that I was on the verge of tears my dear friend David put his arm gently around me and asked, “What kind of food do you want? What do you mean by western food?”

So many things raced through my head in that moment- salad greens that had not been boiled, retaining their sprightly bright green crunch, with some tomatoes and job’s tears and a good vinaigrette, hummus and pita, pizza, a good sandwich, all sorts of things- but my mind kept coming back to one thing.

“Mexican food- any food from latin America.” I told my friend.
“This is a very small town,” he said, “you aren’t going to find any Mexican food here.”
And I wept just a little.

Sorry, off topic, but just to bring it back around, Taiwan was about to become a violent place if we hadn’t found a coffee shop that served sandwiches. Of course they put too much mayo but the sandwich still kept me from full on violence.

[quote=“forealz”]another ugly racial soccer incident in europe this time in spain, speak of the devil. i used to think germany was the more racist european country and spain one of the friendliest. but my impression has changed. and the fact that the crowds also targeted the player’s 5 year old son is pretty sickening:

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/1950353-real-madrids-marcelo-and-son-reportedly-racially-abused-by-atletico-madrid-fans?utm_source=CNN.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial&hpt=hp_t2

sorry folks, this type of hateful racism does not exist in taiwan no matter how much some of you would like to imagine it does. like I said, racism and violence in the west is in a league of its own.[/quote]

Well, that confirms what I said in my previous post about racism in Spain. I was being honest. Anyways, you have to keep in mind a couple of things:

1 - They’re talking about hardcore soccer fans. Soccer fans in the old continent can get very nasty and insulting. Not only the spanish ones, the english hooligans or the italian tifosi are well-known by being offensive, rude and violent. Some clubs (like the F.C. Barcelona) have forbidden the entrance of such people to the stadium, but other clubs encourage this behaviour just because “they cheer so hard it would be a waste not to have them between our fans”.

2 - They’re talking about a match between the Atlético de Madrid and Real Madrid. Both are teams from the same city, both are high on the rankings this season, and traditionally, their fans have hated each other’s guts for decades. The matches between the Atlético de Madrid and Real Madrid get really hot, usually. Other similar rivalities in Spain would be the Sevilla-Betis matches. Stronger rivalities end up having stronger consequences.

Blaquesmith, I really appreciate your honesty in your view on Spanish society. And I also understand your attempt to somehow rationalize the behavior of those Spanish football fans. But how can it be that you say there is no excuse for Taiwanese to call a foreigner “waiguoren” in his presence, but when some Spanish football fans call a black player “monkey” in his face you quickly find several excuses? I’m not saying you have ill intentions. But this is just something that always baffles me on this discussion board.

I wrote yesterday a long message explaining how the Chinese community is seen in Spain, how that graffitti is more to do with local business and perhaps xenophobia than any other thing, and how in Spain you can find idiotic racism and also a wide range of other postures… but the message got lost in the Internet and I really feel lazy these days (and I’m pretty busy too!) so I’m not repeating it again. However, I personally do not find Spain specially racists upon Chinese (go to Poland), neither I find those “laowai” and “waiguoren” terms racists. Racism is something different, to discriminate people based on their race, or take for grant that certain races are inferior or superior. That’s racism. What you can find in Spain towards Chinese is more like people pissed off with how Chinese practices ruin the local commerce, and nothing much else. And what you can see here, is just people who are more or less the same genetics (not totally true) in a kind of early stage of becoming a more diversified society. That’s all. As long as they don’t treat me bad because of my race (not because of my nationality), or mock on me or something, I don’t consider people racist. They could be naive, they could be even xenophobic, but I don’t see the racism yet. Plus this thread is about violence. I don’t think that there’s any racist violence here, neither black people are subject of such stereotypes pointed out before.

I’m not justifying or rationalizing it. I’m merely pointing out that, in that context (football game, high rivality), radical football fans use whatever they can to piss off the rival, including outrageous racist insults. They are a bunch of rude arseholes, they don’t belong in a sports stadium, and the club should ban them for life. Of course, displays of racism and rudeness will be always higher in an environment like a hot football game than, say, in the middle of the street.

Well, I saw your post. But then, when a race is stereotyped and picked on in national TV just for laughs, I’d call that racism:

globaltimes.cn/content/83645 … vSUM3V_ulg

[quote=“Blaquesmith”]

Remember that almost the entire territory of Spain was reconquered to the Islam (who had began the conquest of the Peninsula in the year 711), and there are many people who still think of the muslims as “the enemy”. [/quote]

Franco didn’t. Some of the fiercest and most capable nationalist soldiers during the Spanish Civil War were the Moorish brigades on the Nationalist side.The Moroccan Regulares were known for their uniforms and brutality.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regulares

Not that black and white. Franco offered sanctuary for a lot of Jews during World War II.

Let’s also not forgot the brutality on the Republican side in Spain and what they did to people such as José Antonio Primo de Rivera y Sáenz de Heredia, the 1st Duke of Primo de Rivera.

[quote]Throughout World War II, Spanish diplomats of the Franco government extended their protection to Eastern European Jews, especially in Hungary. Jews claiming Spanish ancestry were provided with Spanish documentation without being required to prove their case and either left for Spain or survived the war with the help of their new legal status in occupied countries.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spain_in_World_War_II[/quote]

[quote=“Blaquesmith”]Well, I saw your post. But then, when a race is stereotyped and picked on in national TV just for laughs, I’d call that racism:

globaltimes.cn/content/83645 … vSUM3V_ulg[/quote]

(the post was a second one I sent, longer, that never went through and never could recover on the browser)

Man, I knew that news and the way it was taken in China. I really think that they overreacted greatly. Really. You can complain about pretty much every single sketch that uses or not topics. If you can not mock at certain group of people, type of restaurant, profession, country, government office, music style, etc… then you end up with no humor at all. The best sketches always were mocking at something or somebody, and it doesn’t mean that they were meant to insult or look down on anybody. El Mundo Today (the Spanish equivalent to The Orange) is a clear example of what I’m saying. They are so funny… until they mock on something you like or you identify with. I personally find them amusing, awesome, no matter if the topic is me myself :slight_smile:

Before calling on racism or similar, we need to look at the intentions. Intentions make a whole difference when talking about this topic. If I kill accidentally, is not the same that if I kill on purpose. If I kill a black guy because I hate him playing rap over and over (and rap is black music), is not the same that if I kill a black guy because I just “hate niggers”. And so on.

[quote=“ChewDawg”][quote=“Blaquesmith”]

Remember that almost the entire territory of Spain was reconquered to the Islam (who had began the conquest of the Peninsula in the year 711), and there are many people who still think of the muslims as “the enemy”. [/quote]

Franco didn’t. Some of the fiercest and most capable nationalist soldiers during the Spanish Civil War were the Moorish brigades on the Nationalist side.The Moroccan Regulares were known for their uniforms and brutality.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regulares

Not that black and white. Franco offered sanctuary for a lot of Jews during World War II.

Let’s also not forgot the brutality on the Republican side in Spain and what they did to people such as José Antonio Primo de Rivera y Sáenz de Heredia, the 1st Duke of Primo de Rivera.

[quote]Throughout World War II, Spanish diplomats of the Franco government extended their protection to Eastern European Jews, especially in Hungary. Jews claiming Spanish ancestry were provided with Spanish documentation without being required to prove their case and either left for Spain or survived the war with the help of their new legal status in occupied countries.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spain_in_World_War_II[/quote][/quote]

I agree on almost everything (indeed, I was tempted to reply the same… and then I saw myself starting another discussion about politics and I don’t really want it). However, although I don’t buy that prosecution that some people point out (that comes out of this bipolar way of looking at the things that is really common among Spanish), I’m not sure how much Franco cared about the reports he received from his diplomatics. But you know… half part of Spain were altruists and courageous people who fought for the highest of the ideas, while the others where sadist motherfuckers whose only motivation was to make sure the other half suffered as much as possible. Spain is full of biased people who want to believe one or another propaganda. That explains much indeed.

Y saco a Franco no mas…

[quote=“Icon”]Y saco a Franco no mas…

[/quote]

A saco Paco (and this time you won’t understand :smiley:)

That part of the stadium shows an amazing concentration of brainless illiterate machos vomiting their daily frustrations over 12 guys in shorts running after a ball.
I don’t think it is wise to extrapolate that behaviour to the whole society of a country.

After living and working for years in too many different countries and based in my own understanding of the Spanish society…, i don’t think Spain is more racist than other countries in the western world suffering the immigration phenomenon, just go to a Stadium in UK, Germany or Italy and hear what the ultras have to say about the rival team.

The football stadiums are the only places the working (or non working) classes get to roar our their primal urges without getting arrested. But that may be changing now.

You defined the sport perfectly.

Exactly the point I wanted to make when I mentioned that it was a football game. Doesn’t justify or rationalize the fact, but you mustn’t extrapolate.

Correct. As I said, people everywhere are pretty similar, and there’s racism everywhere, even in the most tolerant places.

we’re very sports oriented here in the u.s. but we dont have those kinds of racial hatred among sports fans. if they have those feelings they generally keep it to themselves. i cant imagine anyone spewing racial stuff against minorities like blacks at major sports events especially when blacks make up almost all the sports leagues except hockey. maybe black people dont know how to skate on water due to their genetics. they dont dominant in tennis either for some reason.

I’m not justifying or rationalizing it. I’m merely pointing out that, in that context (football game, high rivality), radical football fans use whatever they can to piss off the rival, including outrageous racist insults. They are a bunch of rude arseholes, they don’t belong in a sports stadium, and the club should ban them for life. Of course, displays of racism and rudeness will be always higher in an environment like a hot football game than, say, in the middle of the street.

Well, I saw your post. But then, when a race is stereotyped and picked on in national TV just for laughs, I’d call that racism:

globaltimes.cn/content/83645 … vSUM3V_ulg[/quote]