Taiwan, a violent place?

Racist? Hell yes. Any fool here who thinks the vast majority of Taiwanese aren’t racist is just kidding themselves. Of course the good TW you know aren’t racist, as they’ve been exposed to at least one foreigner(you) and that has helped bring them around to realize that stereotypes are bullshit.

As for Taiwan being a violent place, as has been said, usually violence only erupts when someone feels that they have lost face. Fortunately, the native population is generally quite short and it would be no difficult task to kick most Taiwanese in the face or do a WWF style body-slam. On the other hand, Taiwanese are more inclined to get five buddies to ensure victory, which is why a bar is the absolute worst place to get into a fight.

[quote=“wudjamahuh”]Racist? Hell yes. Any fool here who thinks the vast majority of Taiwanese aren’t racist is just kidding themselves. Of course the good TW you know aren’t racist, as they’ve been exposed to at least one foreigner(you) and that has helped bring them around to realize that stereotypes are bullshit.

As for Taiwan being a violent place, as has been said, usually violence only erupts when someone feels that they have lost face. Fortunately, the native population is generally quite short and it would be no difficult task to kick most Taiwanese in the face or do a WWF style body-slam. On the other hand, Taiwanese are more inclined to get five buddies to ensure victory, which is why a bar is the absolute worst place to get into a fight.[/quote]

What about prison? I say it beats bar for worst. Also the 15 Martial Artist Brothers Cat Food factory. Really, the possibilities are almost endless.

[quote=“skoster”][quote=“wudjamahuh”]Racist? Hell yes. Any fool here who thinks the vast majority of Taiwanese aren’t racist is just kidding themselves. Of course the good TW you know aren’t racist, as they’ve been exposed to at least one foreigner(you) and that has helped bring them around to realize that stereotypes are bullshit.

As for Taiwan being a violent place, as has been said, usually violence only erupts when someone feels that they have lost face. Fortunately, the native population is generally quite short and it would be no difficult task to kick most Taiwanese in the face or do a WWF style body-slam. On the other hand, Taiwanese are more inclined to get five buddies to ensure victory, which is why a bar is the absolute worst place to get into a fight.[/quote]

What about prison? I say it beats bar for worst. Also the 15 Martial Artist Brothers Cat Food factory. Really, the possibilities are almost endless.[/quote]

Inside a jar of mayonnaise.

That gets my vote. :thumbsup:

[quote=“headhonchoII”]Having spent time in the UK and US, I found the UK a lot more racially integrated…

In the US, open racism is dealt with severely but communities can be completely divided along racial lines (I had some experience of [color=#FF0000]LA, NYC and Long Island[/color]).[/quote]

Each of those places is a liberal Democrat paradise…

:laughing:

[quote=“Tigerman”][quote=“headhonchoII”]Having spent time in the UK and US, I found the UK a lot more racially integrated…

In the US, open racism is dealt with severely but communities can be completely divided along racial lines (I had some experience of [color=#FF0000]LA, NYC and Long Island[/color]).[/quote]

Each of those places is a liberal Democrat paradise…

:laughing:[/quote]

long island is actually mostly republican. so is upstate ny. it’s mostly a democratic paradise in nyc and parts of some suburbs closely surrounding it.

taiwan ranked #2 safest cities in the world to live in. 台灣加油!!! :bow:

US Web site lists Taiwan as second-safest to live in

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/archives/2014/07/10/2003594778

http://lifestyle9.com/top-10-safest-countries-to-live-in-the-world/

[quote=“forealz”]taiwan ranked #2 safest cities in the world to live in. 台灣加油!!! :bow:

http://lifestyle9.com/top-10-safest-countries-to-live-in-the-world/[/quote]

Taiwan is not a city, are you talking about Taipei or the whole country?

[quote=“Rocket”][quote=“skoster”][quote=“wudjamahuh”]Racist? Hell yes. Any fool here who thinks the vast majority of Taiwanese aren’t racist is just kidding themselves. Of course the good TW you know aren’t racist, as they’ve been exposed to at least one foreigner(you) and that has helped bring them around to realize that stereotypes are bullshit.

What about prison? I say it beats bar for worst. Also the 15 Martial Artist Brothers Cat Food factory. Really, the possibilities are almost endless.[/quote]

Inside a jar of mayonnaise.

That gets my vote. :thumbsup:[/quote]

Tell me about it. That mayonnaise. Brrrr. Gives me the willies just thinking about it. :runaway:

[quote=“TexMex”][quote=“forealz”]taiwan ranked #2 safest cities in the world to live in. 台灣加油!!! :bow:

http://lifestyle9.com/top-10-safest-countries-to-live-in-the-world/[/quote]

Taiwan is not a city, are you talking about Taipei or the whole country?[/quote]

i meant countries.

In general, Taipei is safe.
Taiwan was just ranked 2nd safest country in the world behind Japan.

focustaiwan.tw/news/asoc/201407090009.aspx

That’s the same story as the one posted above…

[quote=“Leftywang81”]In general, Taipei is safe.
Taiwan was just ranked 2nd safest country in the world behind Japan.

focustaiwan.tw/news/asoc/201407090009.aspx[/quote]

if i’m not mistaken japan uses different methods to report a crime versus western nations… and sexual assaults on women are often not reported or counted by the police if they are. no idea if taiwan is like this in underreporting the crime rate.

Sí no sé tal vez depende la duda es grande la fe desciende cabeza ajena quién aprende sí no sé tal vez depende.

Hmm sorry about that. Didn’t really feel like reading all 17 pages…

Is Taiwan a violent place?
It depends on who is asking.
Are you the type who just attracts the wrong kind of attention?
Are you an ABC who struts around town on your high horse thinking you’re better than the locals just because you’re from the States?
Are you a foreigner who hits the clubs every week wondering which local girl you’re going to steal from her bf for a one-nighter?
Are you a hot piece of ass with your titties popping out, stumbling around alone drunk after a night of drinking/partying?
Obviously these are all stereotypes and not all ABCs and foreigners are like this.
But stereotypes are inevitable and believe it or not, the locals do not appreciate it when ABCs or foreigners come in and assume they can just talk to their girlfriends just because “they can”.

Realize that you are no longer in your backyard and you are, in fact, playing in someone else’s backyard and you will not have any problems…

I just heard about the teenager who stabbed his grandmother to death and the other teenager who stabbed her 3 year old sister to death. Hmmm.

and just how often do those types of extreme crimes happen? and crimes in taiwan mainly occur within the family so people dont have to worry about random crime.

Grandma guy was off his meds -literally- very awful bloody affair, all of a sudden, neighbors could not intervene. The sister story is more awful. Little kid was the product of daddy’s extramarital affair, big daughter, who up to that point was an outstanding student, thinks that was disrespectful to her mother, basically hits the kid every chance she gets, very hostile. One day, she takes the kid into her room and locks herself in.

Yep, family violence is rather frequent. What really appalls me is violence against children. At least once a month a baby is starved to death by what I charitably call addicted to on line game parents, for instance.

I suspect family abuse is rampant in Taiwan, from things I’ve read in the press and my observations. Abuse is anything from sending kids to school all day everyday to neglect right up to sexual and physical abuse. It goes on EVERYWHERE, I just suspect that it’s more common here in Taiwan due to the nature of society, which tends to be stand-offish when it comes to other peoples families yet at the same time there are these huge expectations put on kids in particular. The economic issues and lack of social welfare also hits hard, causing large numbers of kids to be raised by grandparents or nobody in particular, and massive stresses when the parents fail to earn enough money to keep the show on the road.
It’s not Honduras, by any means, but there’s a lot of work to do here too.

There’s news today of some guy getting murdered by two of his “friends”.

[quote=“headhonchoII”]I suspect family abuse is rampant in Taiwan, from things I’ve read in the press and my observations. Abuse is anything from sending kids to school all day everyday to neglect right up to sexual and physical abuse. It goes on EVERYWHERE, I just suspect that it’s more common here in Taiwan due to the nature of society, which tends to be stand-offish when it comes to other peoples families yet at the same time there are these huge expectations put on kids in particular. The economic issues and lack of social welfare also hits hard, causing large numbers of kids to be raised by grandparents or nobody in particular, and massive stresses when the parents fail to earn enough money to keep the show on the road.
It’s not Honduras, by any means, but there’s a lot of work to do here too.[/quote]

However, even back in Central America, the laws are a bit more rational. Like, they do not give the kid back to the family that just half killed him/her. And the things they do to kids here… things that would get the child removed at the speed of sneeze. But here, the Law makes it extremely difficult or it is not implemented.

And we have the wars and poverty as excuses for warping people’s heads. Here, I don’t know what’s missing. How many times I have seen that, a woman or couple being trailed 10 steps back by weeping children. On supposedly holiday or time off places. Did you guys see the news about the parents who just left the kids in a parking lot in a restaurant because the boy had not memorized his English vocabulary lists? They were on a weekend family outing. The kids had a phone, but were too scared of their parents to call them. Two hours later, the restaurant staff called the police, and the parents came to pick the kids up. From their looks, you knew the whipping back home was to be epic. And that the kid will never learn English. But the parents keep pushing, and they are not punished by the Law for something that would get kids at least under protective observation elsewhere.