2017 Taiwan Cycling Challenge Events Thread

@marasan if you don’t have a tri that weekend, I highly suggest you try this one out!

No tri. I think I’ll do it. I’ve got a busy week and weekend and then I’ll take care of this and that other thing we’ve been discussing all next week. Thanks for alerting me to this!

Anyone doing the 197 Taidong on Sunday?

My teammates are. They are still waiting to hear from the org.

Org is aiming to make a decision on Friday.

Keep an eye on @IbisWtf 's hourly updates on the typhoon here…

I would consider not going even if the event was not cancelled. Whether the typhoon makes landfall or not, it’s still going to be a mess on the east coast.

hmmm

Would it be safe to do a hike in Hualien on Saturday?

@ColT

http://www.turaa.tw/top.htm

2017 戀戀197東海岸自行車賽暨單車逍遙遊因受「尼莎」颱風影響延至 8月20日舉行。

Race day postponed to August 20th.

Cancellation of registration is a return of 15% of registration fee of 1500NT and full refund of the chip deposit which is 500NT.

That’s a load of bs if you ask me.

There’s also the 36 hair pin race in Jia Yi.

spent yesterday in ER after crashing on the shopper with my son, so just as well it’s postponed. pretty banged up and sore, but lad is okay.

I paid 1500, inc chip deposit.

Hope to be okay for 20th

Oof, wishing you and the son a swift recovery.

Thanks. Coulda been a lot worse if there was traffic around, so thankful for that.

1 Like

Up and Down Wu Zhi Shan Race

Event date: October 7, 2017
Registration Fee: 700NT/person + 100NT deposit for timing chip
Route: (Check the sign up page for more info and a route map)

• Part 1 拱北殿-八連路-五指山示範公墓
  • Part 2 五指山示範公墓下至善路-楓林橋-碧溪橋
  • Part 3 碧溪橋-風櫃嘴-五指山示範公墓

This will be my last entry in this thread! Wow, the year really flew by.

For those of us living in Taipei, this is what a lot of us like to call, “The Final Exam”.

The route has you ascend Yang Ming Shan three times.

• Peak 1 - This year, they have adjusted the first part of ascent number 1 from Yang De Blvd to Xin Yi Road. Xin Yi Road will connect to the Flower Clock and then back onto the tail end of Yang De (at that point I think it’s called Yang Jing Rd) and you descend down the 101/Balaka towards Sanzhi.

• Peak 2 - Then you head up to Qing Shan Waterfall via a maze of roads where your final ascent is its infamous 20% stinger before descending back down to coastal highway for a nice 10-15km flat sprint.

• Peak 3 - Your final test comes when ascending Yang Jing Highway (the No.2) and the infamous Howard’s Shortcut aka Zhong Hu triple stinger to finish up at the Meng Huan Hu parking lot.

Event date: December 3, 2017
Start Location: Tian Mu Baseball Field
End location: Zu Zhi Hu Parking lot
Total distance: 87km
Total elevation gain: 2200m
Route: https://www.strava.com/activities/767250023 (NOTE, it’s not the exact route, but very very similar, you can check the below link for official route)
Registration Fee: 1000NT/person

Hi Ranley, great summary but I thought it finished at Leungshuikeng?

My summary is wrong and you are partially correct.

Thanks for catching that!

I’ve made corrections and also added the total distance and elevation gain.

It ends in the Leng Shui Keng area, but the end point is at the Meng Huan Hu parking lot…just up the hill from Leng Shui Keng.

Here’s the route text from the sign up page…

天母運動公園→士東路→右轉 忠誠路二段→左轉 天母東路→右轉 天母北路→直走 行義路→直走 東昇路→右轉 東昇路→直走 湖山路二段→左轉 中興路→花鐘→陽明書屋→左轉 竹子湖路→竹子湖→陽金公路 (小油坑) 補給站一→陽金公路→左轉 101甲→101 右轉→青溪路 右迴轉(北11)→青山路 北11→屏山路 左轉(北15)→隆山路 左轉(北18)→北15 右迴轉→北19→台2 直走→台2甲 右轉→左轉 中湖戰備道→終點 夢幻湖停車場。總爬升約2200公尺;全程約87公里。