Taiwan female visiting US gives birth, Partner is Green Card holder. Help

Hi folks

Here for help from a friend. Story is as follows.

A friend (about 27 y.o.) hooked up with her native Taiwanese bf last year and got pregnant. He works in a Taiwan company that has offices in the US. She found out ~October 2015 she was pregnant. They scheduled an engagement ceremony for January 2016, followed by a plan for her to go to the US with him in February. In January she got cold feet (they didn’t know each other very long) so she called off the engagement ceremony. She still went with him to the US in February to try things out to see if she can see herself living in the US with him. She went on a student Visa and is enrolled in a English school there. They chose a student visa for her because that would allow her to reside in the US for 2 years (as opposed to a visitor’s visa which would be 6 months).

She gave birth in June. She has now decided she doesn’t see a life with this guy. So at the end of the month she’s going to return to Taiwan. Although they are returning together, she hasn’t told him her plans and intends to break up with him once they are in Taiwan.

What are some of the legal considerations she has to deal with? To whom does the child belong? She says she’s willing to allow the father to have/raise the child (none of his siblings have children), but if so, what does her legal status become? She says as an American citizen, her child requires both parents to agree when the child leaves the US. So she’s wondering does that mean if she breaks off badly with her guy, that her child will have trouble exiting the US in the future? I’m not even sure I know what questions to ask but if you have any helpful insights, please share. She’s a beautiful highly educated woman that I’ve known for many years, and she just screwed up big time. I hope the best for her, but I don’t have much to offer in terms of legal knowledge.

Thanks in advance.

Sorry to he blunt, but if the outcome matters to her, then she needs to talk to a specialized lawyer.

Relying on the Internet for legal advice is the best way to not get what’s in your best interest.

1 Like