Taiwan Has No TV Internationally Broadcast

I’ve noticed in the last 10 years or so that China has at least a few TV stations which are mostly news but sometimes other things on cable in different countries in both Chinese and Mandarin. I even watch the CCTV news frequently when traveling.

Taiwan has none. After thinking about it, I realize that Taiwan doesn’t have one channel that is intelligent or appropriate enough to be broadcast internationally in Chinese or English.

[quote=“tango42”]
Taiwan has none. After thinking about it, I realize that Taiwan doesn’t have one channel that is intelligent or appropriate enough to be broadcast internationally in Chinese or English.[/quote]
I’m wondering what your criterion is. Snob that I am, I think TV is stupid everywhere I’ve been.

I’ve seen nothing on Taiwan TV stupider than CNN.

I wouldn’t say Taiwan TV is stupid, it’s cheap, that’s what it is. Small market, little resources, low production value. Now, CNN has huge resources, but it’s not stupid either, just driven by economics and politics.

Is this topic really travel-related, btw?

[quote=“hannes”]I wouldn’t say Taiwan TV is stupid, it’s cheap, that’s what it is. Small market, little resources, low production value. Now, CNN has huge resources, but it’s not stupid either, just driven by economics and politics.

Is this topic really travel-related, btw?[/quote]

Given that the bulk of CNN’s audience is in the airports, yes.

CNN is retarded. It’s not driven by economics, unless you mean being driven toward oblivion by the free market.

Actually, that is something I have always asked. I mean, Japan has NHK, Germany has Deutchwelle, Italia has RTI, etc. Say what you want about quality or content, but all these reached even my corner of the world since I was little, in small fragments, translated or not, but did. Now you have cable and satellite and Internet and they reach even more people. Why didn’t Taiwan, in the glory days at least, did not start its own CCTV? Yes, it did have the GIO and it does have the still semi living Radio Taiwan. GIO produced very nice documentaries and stuff but they never gave that bold step/investment.

I think maybe it was because of the political conditions. When the goose was laying golden eggs, the freedoms were first constricted and then there was a free for all in terms of media. Was it timing? Vision?

well. who is interested in little ole Taiwan?

and if there was such a broadcast, the China grumpkins would be all upset .

All media in Taiwan with any financial ability or legal recourse to do this is KMT controlled, which means mainland looking, which means that it won’t be done. Don’t want to pollute the idea that there is only one China, after all.

Last time I was in Vancouver staying with Taiwanese friends, there was a cable station that ran Taiwan shows and news. :idunno:

[quote=“urodacus”]well. who is interested in little ole Taiwan?

and if there was such a broadcast, the China grumpkins would be all upset .

All media in Taiwan with any financial ability or legal recourse to do this is KMT controlled, which means mainland looking, which means that it won’t be done. Don’t want to pollute the idea that there is only one China, after all.[/quote]

Yeah, but my questions is, when they had la papa en la mano, meaning they -KMT in Taiwan- were holding the saucepan by the handle, hand the power both economically and culturally, I mean, up to now they claim to be the repositories of the true Chinese spirit, so why did they not do it before?

Now I agree, the time has come and gone and any efforts would be several dollars short, but they had the movie production for instance, 60s and 70s and even 80s. It was quite myopic not to take the extra step.

Oh, wait…

[quote=“hannes”]I wouldn’t say Taiwan TV is stupid, it’s cheap, that’s what it is. Small market, little resources, low production value. Now, CNN has huge resources, but it’s not stupid either, just driven by economics and politics.

Is this topic really travel-related, btw?[/quote]

Travel related in that there is little or no Taiwan TV when traveling outside of Taiwan.

Veto:
TVBS can be received international on some satellites, but why rent capacity when you can watch online?

HK has Dongsen Xinwen TV; I watched it while I was there two months ago.

SE Asians also watch Taiwanese tv shows.

http://english.rti.org.tw/listening/?recordId=94