Taiwan: independence/reunification or...
- Taiwan is a province of China, whose legitimate government is the PRC, and should reunify as soon as possible.
- Taiwan part of China, but the PRC are usurpers. The ROC should reconquer the Mainland.
- Taiwan should unify with China once China reforms to become a free democratic country.
- Taiwan should negotiate with China to have a close relationship, but with as many freedoms as can be agreed upon.
- Taiwan should seek to maintain the status quo as long as possible.
- Taiwan is effectively independent, but China prevents this from being formalised. Taiwan should try to slowly and carefully move towards de jure independence.
- Taiwan should declare independence now.
- Taiwan should bide its time until the circumstances allow for a referendum for Taiwanese to determine their future.
This topic comes up a lot on this forum.
Most recently we've been discussing it in [url=http://tw.forumosa.com/t/taiwan-independence-reunification-self-determination/2146/1 thread[/url]. But that thread was started in 2002. Things have changed, as have peoples' opinions. Also that thread was going well off-topic.
And [url=http://tw.forumosa.com/t/dpp-and-independence/15426/1 one[/url] discusses the independence policy of the DPP.
I think it will be interesting to discuss the wider possibilities than a simple independence vs unfication scenraio. What are the other options?
If you don't like the idea of unification with China, is that just becuase China is a communist country? What if China reformed and became democratic. Would you then like Taiwan to unify with China, maybe 30 years down the line? Personally, I'd like to see Taiwan remain independent even then, but think that it would have to be up to the people of Taiwan to vote in a free poll. Or should the people of China also get a say?
If you support Taiwan Independence (TI), do you think Taiwan should declare independence now? Or do you think the threat of China attacking is real and not to be ignored? If these are your reasons for opposing TI, would you like to see Taiwan independent if the situation changed and there would be no repurcussions? That's my view - independence when possible, but folly to declare it now.
So, I've revamped the poll. Results of the previous poll were:
Which do you support?
Taiwan Independence: 29% (23)
Reunification with the Mainland: 13% (11)
Self-determination (No matter what the outcome): 56% (45)