Taiwan just (slightly) relaxed Dual Citizenship Rules

I just got a link to a Japanese page. Google translator is good enough to understand the page.

The party that thinks of the residence problem/
What is naturalization?
https://sites.google.com/site/kyorumondai/home/kika

At this time, the Japanese government does not allow Japan’s nationality to be lost due to obtaining the nationality of ROC. Because it does not recognize the nationality of the Republic of China as a nationality of one state, it is because it is to prevent Japanese from becoming stateless. Therefore, for Japanese people, it is not possible to obtain “certificate of loss of original nationality” referred to in Article 9 of the Nationality Act of Taiwan from the Japanese government. However, if we acquire Japan’s “certificate of non-acceptance of lost nationality” in the alternative provision of Article 9 of the Nationality Act, we can apply for naturalization of the Republic of China.

The day you see white face, black face, brown face, white face, white face, yellow face, black face, yellow face, yellow face working at the McDonalds down the road there in Taiwan…that’s the day the country is ready to give you a passport.

The problem is that goddamn Chinese language. And Taiwanese language. Tough to crack. Can’t really be one of them until you are mostly fluent in them both. They should have started decades ago to hand out passports to many of the South East Asians…sort of ease them into at least different shades of Asian looking skin and faces…and different accents…by now we could have slowly started on the white and black faces…

Oh Taiwan, I can’t quit you

Exactly, I dont see much will and a lot of resistance from most Taiwanese to become a multicultural and diverse society. This is still a culturally Chinese society and although changing, a large percentage of people see the world through in-group/out-group terms.

I would like to see Taiwan as more open and citizenship easier to achieve, but am realistic.

Dunno, feels like I am living in a different country than the letter writer. Taiwanese Academia is full of the most Utopian of Taiwan Independence people who can have a high standard of living without much interaction and reliance with China. This is a very different situation from people in the business world.Maybe being in that environment has made him see Taiwan in a certain way and that is why he is now so dispirited. .

Naaa…that’s not it. Citizenship right was denied. It’s an injustice. Don’t downplay it or over think it

Sure. I just dont see why the guy is so deflated. It seems like his views on Taiwan were unrealistic in the first place.

Victim blaming there…The guy was told he has a great chance to go for dual citizenship…Ives and works here 1 7 years…ticks all the boxes…Still gets turned down.
I will be just as pissed off if they turn me down, especially if they don’t explain why.

Nah, not blaming the guy. I think its awful. 100% should get citizenship after the investment he has put into the place, especially as he was told he had a chance.

Just saying that he seemed to have had too much of an idealistic view of Taiwan in the first place.

1 Like

Maybe he did , still it sucks all round .

1 Like

Tando, Article 22 of the Japanese constitution guarantees the right to renounce one’s citizenship. In theory this right is not limited by any requirement to acquire another citizenship instead, but in practice bureaucrats do require this. The Turning Japanese blog thinks it’s because of the 1961 Convention on the Reduction of Statelessness: http://www.turning-japanese.info/2011/12/can-you-renounce-acquired-japanese.html

Is someone aware of a case in which a would-be renunciate was refused on the grounds that Japan does not recognize the ROC? That would be ironic, in view of the recent stink made over the dual nationality of Renho, a Japanese parliamentarian with one Taiwanese parent.

2 Likes

Again, it pisses me off when you see the double talk. Again, I bring Takeshi Kaneshiro as an example: they would not give him lifetime achievement award because he is Japanese. Let’s put aside that his mother is Taiwanese and that he lived here for the first 20 something years of his life. They give Golden Horse awards regularly to Mainlanders and foreigners. Heaven forbid give any kind of recognition to someone who ironically is recognized elewhere in the world as Japanese-Taiwanese. :rant:

TT has some background on one of the outstanding foreigners, this time with 53 years of Taiwan experience.

Michelini has also served as general secretary of the Folklore Festival Association of the ROC and as a general secretary of the International Council of Organizations of Folklore Festivals and Folk Arts, after helping the nation become a member of the UNESCO-affiliated organization.

Among the honors and awards that Michelini has received are the International Communications Award in 1989; the National Cultural Heritage Conservation Award in September 2012; and in December 2015, the Order of Brilliant Star with Violet Grand Cordon, which was presented by then-president Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九).

1 Like

That’s might be a bit too early anyway. How old is that dude? Like 40? Let’s talk when he’s in his 70s. :slight_smile:

Waiting till “model foreigners” are so old to reward them for their “good behavior” seems like kind of a cruel joke. I’d assume that the whole point of having dual citizenship is because it’s useful. But I don’t see elderly clergymen in their 80s and 90s doing much international travel. The government may as well award citizenship to them posthumously.

5 Likes

Still a clergyman not an artist. Vatican sure has pull .
This new system is making a mockery of itself.
Seems the 50 year rumor isn’t far off the mark, joke.

Because he was born before 1980 to a Taiwanese mother he’s not legally Taiwanese so it makes them awkward and embarrassed I wonder…

Society consists of people in all walks of life, at different social economic stations. To allow foreigners of only certain social/economic stations a right to Taiwan citizenship is essentially against at least one human right. The right of EQUALITY. It is also most likely RACIST.

And leads to this unfortunate happening:
http://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3204730

This is wrong.

Taiwan should extend its arms of welcome to those who have made Taiwan their home for an appreciable length of time.

I say anyone who has resided in Taiwan over ten years (legallly preferred, but not to shut the window on those here illegally) should be allowed to apply for TW citizenship without prejudice to their race, economic station (understand they should be able to support themselves) , nationality or age.

Then TW can be proud to be like America. Lord knows America is not perfect but at least it is headed in the right direction (at least on paper).

It is wrong to limit TW citizenship to only long time residents of a certain education, earning level. A SOCIETY is a group of HUMAN BEINGS who live together. They should have EQUAL RIGHTS of REPRESENTATION. Equal right of TREATMENT under the law, Equal right to housing, food, clothing , education, health care and the PURSUIT of HAPPINESS. I don’t mean govt hand outs but being able to pursue a career, job, means to make a living.

in SHORT people welcomed to make TW their permanent home should they have already voted with their feet and have lived in Taiwan an appreciable (10 plus years) length of time.

They should not be so in fear of their life that they should jump and kill themselves. People who overstay should be treated humanely and an avenue provided to examine their time spent in Taiwan towards legal residency.

AS it is Taiwan is only opening up to 95 thousand year old priests and a few others that number not more then 10 to 20 persons.

It is a JOKE.

5 Likes

That fits me. Born to TW mother before 1980 and therefore “less human” not equal to those born After 1980.

LIke we are subject to the Old TEstament and not the New Testament, that we shall not have Jesus as our Saviour in the Old Testament?

I say we are just as human being born prior to 1980 as after.

Bah Humbug to Taiwan notions of “fairness” and “equality” here.

5 Likes

Again, the problem is that they literally cannot give him any award as third supporting golfer because he is Japanese. As a matter of fact, some say that whole brouhaha was some sort of tactic to put him in a got spot. Anyways, the point is why I have more chances of ever landing a Golfer Horse that someone with 46 movies, most Taiwan hits, under his belt? Why that prize calls itself pan Chinese? As said, foreigners have been recognized before. However, there are too many walls stills, and nationality issues matter in daily work in many areas.

Exactly. 1980 was chosen at random. Too many people I know where practically expelled from The Island. Why can’t we have a special kind of residency for them, if not nationality outright?

Meanwhile, most of the loyal civil servants have their kids and wives in the US…

Fifty-three years in Taiwan for one of them, and apparently 59 for the other. :older_man: :older_woman: