Taiwan just (slightly) relaxed Dual Citizenship Rules

These priests are just being diplomatic. If any country decided to give me citizenship, over 20 years after me living there, I would tell officials to stick the paper in their taint.

Anybody interesting in protesting this?

Everybody is leaving out the fact that naturalization is really not that difficult to obtain just as long as you’re willing to renounce your current citizenship status. I know it’s a big sticking point with you folks from the US and Canada (as well as other countries where it’s not possible or difficult to resume citizenship), but it comes down to how bad do you want it and a cost-benefit analysis. If you’re not prepared to do it, then how much do you really want the citizenship?

@11173 We want fairness
Taiwan demands reciprocity, but only when it favors them.

Interestingly someone asked before why Taiwanese can hold multiple citizenships and they were told that the ministry simply doesn’t follow up with people that get multiple citizenships to ensure they renounce. But they sure follow up to ensure foreigners renounce theirs. Wonder why

2 Likes

I am when I get back to Taiwan from my vacation.
Not a protest but a mass letter writing and phone campaign

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe that there is no article in the ROC nationality law that categorically states that those who hold ROC nationality are forbidden from holding any other nationality or any that says you give up your ROC nationality if you acquire a foreign nationality like the PRC law says. I think it’s a bit of an urban myth that has come out of the requirement to renounce any nationality you currently hold when you naturalize as a ROC national. But again, there’s no part of the law which says that you can’t acquire a foreign nationality after naturalization and keep ROC nationality. There have been people who have resumed British nationality after acquiring ROC nationality through naturalization which they had to renounce said British nationality to do. There’s no law that they have broken by quietly going back to the old dart and resuming their British citizenship. A British passport and a Taiwanese passport is a fairly nice combination. I appreciate that it’s much easier for people from Britain, Australia and other countries that are similar in this regard to give up their citizenship in order to obtain Taiwanese citizenship because they can always get it back later through a very simple application process, which effectively nullifies that sticking point.

1 Like

There is also some uncertainty as to whether someone already with multiple citizenships would be expected to renounce more than one. At least there seems to be no formal way of ensuring this.

Now that renunciation comes after the grant of nationality (without ID no.), it may be possible for someone who has gotten ROC nationality, but not yet renounced, to sue the MOI on the basis of unequal treatment. That is, a certain class of ROC “citizens” is (a) being required to renounce, and (b) not getting their ID no. for a year or so. This arguably violates the constitution (although this is not a new thing). Anyway, I think there would be a case, although not necessarily one that would win in the current political environment.

One aspect that has stuck out for me has been the relative impotence of foreigner advocacy groups like Forward Taiwan. There seems to be no group specifically dedicated to the dual nationality issue, since Forward Taiwan is at least equally interested in a broad range of work-visa reforms, and the other groups deal with other kinds of immigrants. At the risk of seeming ungrateful (and I’m not privy to their inner workings), the FT Facebook page seems to avoid harsh criticism of the MOI etc., and take a more positive “harmonious” tone, which may not be helping here. I wonder if they’ve become too cozy with some of the bureaucrats.

Something that might get attention is a public letter-writting campaign aimed at US officials, demanding that Taiwan citizens not be allowed into the USA in case of war unless they can demonstrate professional-level basketball skills, or have 50 years experience spreading Confucianism among the Indians (to steal McCandless’s example). The objective would be to attract local media attention, not to change the US system.

If you are currently serving military service then…yes? lol

Don’t people renounce it and then just apply for it again at a later stage?

Yes, people can, not all do. That’s basically what I wrote in my post. The term is ‘resume’ or ’resumption of citizenship’. Not an option for US citizenship, and for renounced Canadian citizenship you need to have become a permanent resident of Canada to be eligible to resume Canadian citizenship. The British government stipulates that you have the option to resume citizenship one time only.

Does ROC not check up that you did not resume citizenship? And if they do find out you resumed, can they cancel your ROC citizenship?

No, because the Act does not restrict nationals of ROC from becoming dual nationals of other countries. Also when we’re talking about the government we say Taiwan/Taiwanese, when we’re talking about the law we say ROC.

Fifty years with the Indians was was my retort to McC’s "50 years in the rust belt".

Ah, right. Anyway, it’s funnier with Indians.

No. ROC citizens can acquire whatever other citizenships they please.The only way they can cancel your new citizenship is if you do something immoral.

1 Like

There is hope fellows . . .

great line “far sooner than usual 50 year mark other missionaries have received”

What is the woman in front of him doing? That isn`t praying is it?

LOL. Sarcasm is strong in the title. Kudos to the writer and editor.

“Open Thou our lips, O Lord…”

1 Like

Kudos to the Taiwan News? Isn`t that like giving kudos to Pravda?

This week we ran into one of the first priests to receive dual citizenship under the new rules. I asked him if that meant a big change for him. He replied “Not really”… He couldn’t care less it seemed. :slightly_smiling_face: