Taiwan just (slightly) relaxed Dual Citizenship Rules

Yep mostly this latest stuff doesn’t change much. It won’t even help English teachers who have been caught by the six month NHI rule unless they consider English teachers as foreign professionals. If they do then…that’s still a good advance.
They are working on things but they need nothing less than a Big Bang ‘EU entry effect’ or ‘tax free haven’ to really change the picture here. it might improve the picture a tiny bit or maintain the status quo. I wish Taiwan could be more dynamic like the old days in the 70s, 80s and 90s but it’s not going to work by polluting the crap out of the place.

2 Likes

NB the “gold card” is discussed in more detail here.

They’ve included the 6 month NHI rule abolition , also teachers and freelancers are included.
Looks pretty good!!

For us with APRC’s, thsi is relevant:

One of the major changes in the regulations, as laid out in the draft Act for the Recruitment and Employment of Foreign Professional Talent, removes the requirement for foreign white-collar workers with permanent residence to remain in Taiwan for at 183 days per year to maintain their status.

Permanent status will be revoked if the permanent resident holder stays away from Taiwan for more than five years, according to the draft bill.

That is a lot of leeway.

This though needs some clarification:

In terms of general eligibility for employment outside the teaching profession, foreign nationals with the required work experience will have to show that they were earning the equivalent of at least NT$47,971 (US$1,578) before coming to Taiwan, the draft bill states.

Those with no previous work experience will be required to present a degree from a university ranked among the top 500 in the world, according to the proposed regulations.

There is stil restriction of not underage children to stay with resident parents, too.

But yes, the NHI clause is a blessing.

The top 500 according to who, I wonder? This seems pretty subjective. In the Academic Ranking of World Universities (compiled by Shanghai Jiao Tong University), my school is ranked No. 3 in the world. :astonished: But in the QS World University Rankings, my school is No. 23. The US News and World Report’s Best Global Universities Rankings puts my school at No. 4, but the Times Higher Education World University Rankings puts it at No. 10. So which is it?

I guess it’s tough luck if you went to university in Taiwan. Well, except for NTU, which is at No. 195 in the Times Higher Education Rankings.

For us Spanish speakers: la Casa Espana has a link to a translation al castellano of the draft of thsi proposal. Very interesting read.

All we need now is a way for foreigners to have businesses under their own name so when they divorce they do not end up in the streets clutching a paper bag.

Can someone boil the facts down for us “normal foreigners” who chose to risk a lot to raise a family either as an employee or the owner of a small business. With the hassles we’ve had in the past, just staying sane is a heroic endeavor. Status, married started with a family visa, graduated to a permanent visa.

If there is a process, someone please create an idiot’s check list that Hartzel made for us. He created easy to follow lists that covered everything from getting a driver’s license, getting work permits and getting the various visas we needed over time.

A procvess tyo what? To get citizenship? Or dual citizenship? I am sorry, I do not understand your question.

At Xindian’s Household Office they sued to give out nice charts. Alas, with the current changes, the charts are being redone and Heaven knows if/when they will be available again.

taking legal action for nice charts? pretty extreme measures . . .

I am an editor. Typos are my specialty!

2 Likes

I doubt there will be any charts done by foreigners until one of us successfully accomplishes it. I don’t think it will be an advertised feature.

The older catholic priest got his citizenship but I have a feeling for him he just filled in a form and it happened due to who he is.

Oh no, the chart they can do it at Household Registry/NIA… whoever gets their act together.

I got me a lovely 6 pages in legalese Chinese…would love to reply in gongwen-hua!

Shhh don’t tell anyone but Taiwanease.com has a good version that covers the basics.

1 Like

Yep. But it needs to be expanded/amended, as now we have the possibility of NOT having to renounce our original nationality in order to get the ROC’s. Is tehre any difefrence in teh procedure? Who quualifies and how? These and otehr questions we have no answers yet… Or any other less than 50 years of community service to Taiwan!

Yes, dual citizenship or better stated just citizenship without the need of revoking my own. Funny Explain this My 4 kids are dual citizens. My wife could if she wanted to but I can’t? Silly.
Now, what is this thing about charts? Why do I want nice looking charts? I get ugly printouts of my household registration anytime I need for licenses, visas and bank accounts.

As I said, charts are easier to read/follow/cleaner than 8 pages of Chinese gibberish, single spaced legalese.

I’d ask for a translation, but, geez, I’d be asking for the moon.

Lunar Embassy here. :wink: No promises, but feel free to ask for help with any tricky passage.

All of it is tricky. TBH, it is a waste of time, until they get their act together and decide on a procedure, we are all in limbo. So there is nothing useful to translate yet.

Just keep an eye on the wire, see if they finally release some hard data.

OTOH, I am really busy translating a bunch of interviews Takeshi Kaneshiro gave while he was promoting his movie. Wanna help?

Let’s discuss Japanese cinema by pm. :slight_smile:

Back to the procedures, really, someione should sue for a translation. It is really not only not kosher to ahve the data in Chinese, amking it NOT accessible at all for say, South East Asian wives. It makes foreigners dependent on not very helpful Taiwanese. It is against human rights to have thsi service for foreigners not available in a way that foreigners can understand.

If you tell me that foreigners are syupposed to know Chinese before they naturalize, sure, I agree, but the requisites state a level that is inadequate to understand the friggin legalese vebosity they unload on people. That ain’t right. It is playing dirty. Bad karma on their descendants!

It is at the level of not having a sign language interpreter or braile script… oh wait…