Taiwan just (slightly) relaxed Dual Citizenship Rules

Headline is wrong.

Curious if it is some regulation/rule for media/government to not name the individuals in a neutral news item like this?
Chinese newspapers typically have stories with at least last name like “陳槓” or “王槓”.
Congratulations go out to all 5, but perhaps some here in the forum may even know one or more of them (or are taking guesses at who they might be).

The headline of the story is still wrong, they don’t automatically receive Taiwan citizenship y need to pass more conditions such as residency, it will take years.

All they got was an exemption to renunciation not an ID.

Basically make a fucking effort to get things right!

If it was up to me, and NO it is not. I would say anyone who has legally resided in Taiwan the major part of the year for over 10 years should be eligible for TW citizenship without prejudice to their original citizenship.

Because by then you obviously have some sort of connection to the rock.

Tommy, you should be first in line for a passport.

1 Like

The latest improvement . . . .

It’s actually 360 days. At least you could travel to visit a dying relative or something. Anyway, in theory if you are from certain countries you can resume citizenship and continue using the visa-free privileges that your country bestows. But if you’re from Canada or the US, then too bad.[quote=“Brianjones, post:142, topic:159031”]
Got me one of these today.

http://www.chinapost.com.tw/news_images/20160227/p15c.jpg
[/quote]
Post a bloody picture of yours! I know it looks exactly the same, but it’s not the same one! [quote=“Brianjones, post:142, topic:159031”]
You get something that says it’s a Taiwan passport, looks exactly like a Taiwan passport but is not really a passport.
[/quote]
Post a picture! Come on
[quote=“Brianjones, post:146, topic:159031”]
I’m afraid to give it up to be honest even if in theory it should be easy to reapply.
[/quote]
It would be great if you could contact the relevant government office, explain your situation and ask how easy of a process it is to resume citizenship. You should be fine.[quote=“Brianjones, post:146, topic:159031”]
No visa free travel and not accepted by Europe or US
[/quote]
US definitely accepts the passport as a valid travel document. They have a specific stipulation that it is to be treated the same as a stateless person’s travel document meaning the maximum length of stay on any visa type is 3 months.
You say no visa free travel but I can see a few countries on that map where there is no national ID number required. Again it’s more than just some Asian countries that you can travel to on a visa. You should be able to go pretty much everywhere most other people are able to go it’s just that you will probably need a visa for it, but at least you can go to South Korea without a visa.[quote=“Brianjones, post:151, topic:159031”]
The system is the wrong way around in terms of residency requirements and how to issue functional passports that allow you to live and work in the modern world.
[/quote]
I tend to agree with you there.[quote=“Brianjones, post:155, topic:159031”]
One ‘manager’ in the Xinbei NIA office managed to nearly get me barred from re-entry when they cancelled my ARC when I was overseas before handing me my TARC.

The immigration officer at the airport then stamped my passport visa free admission 3 months and told me I needed to get a resident visa lol.
[/quote]
That’s pretty hilarious.

Wrong. That’s not what they’ve proposed at all. That would be a world record if that was the case.

i would crap myself flying to the US on this passport, even if I somehow managed to get a visa theres no guarantee they would let you in when you got there.

This sounds incorrect and misleading.

I imagine it could take a considerable time to review special applications of this nature by the relevant authorities.

My regular application for permission to naturalise , just going through the hhro and MOI still took over two months.

I also still need to fulfil further residence requirements, it is not clear if the residence rerequirement is waived for these special applicants?

There’s no guarantee because there never is any guarantee for anyone entering a foreign country but if you’ve never done anything wrong and you’re not doing anything untoward in flying to the US and have a genuine reason to travel you should be fine if you’ve already got the visa. Might be an idea to take some photocopies or even originals of your Irish birth certificate, citizenship renunciation certificate and ROC naturalization certificate to back yourself up as a genuine holder of a Taiwanese passport.

Icon, as always, is right!

Guy

1 Like

Sorry, you have to bump it up to 65 years.

The 92-year-old Father Pierre Mertens (æą…ć†Źç„ș焞父) will receive his Taiwanese ID card Tuesday, becoming the first foreign national in New Taipei to be naturalized in recognition of his special contributions to Taiwan.

The New Taipei City government said the Belgian priest has devoted himself to humanitarian work in Taiwan for 65 years since 1952.

3 Likes

Interesting letter by long-time foreign associate professor in Taiwan, “Taiwanese dreams quashed”

1 Like

Why make it so difficult? What are they afraid of, really? As far as I can tell, local talents are leaving for more opportunities abroad, population is aging. Don’t they want to keep high-level people here and be happy?

4 Likes

and keep people here who would possibly marry Taiwanese woman and have babies too!

They ran out of people with 50 years of service only.

Seriously, this “consolation prize” is getting weird. I think they are running some kind of publicity campaign, by convincing local people that they are letting the “good” foreigners in. You know, the right kind, “heavenly”, “godly”, unthreatening, not dangerous.

Meanwhile, where are the fishermen rights? Why factory workers are treated like beats of burden and sold like cattle? Can we eliminate this kind of slavery from the 21st century or the danger of having this kind of blood in your society is too horrendous? Because giving them rights and treating them as people would eventually lead to that. And oh, see the mess US is in because of that. But then Taiwanese have whole enclaves, neighborhoods and stores and all, non asssimilating in North America. So that is right, uh?

2 Likes

Wow, that letter that @schwarzwald posted is an eye opener. I’m going to use it in my adult class today, and hopefully elicit opinions on the matter.

So, why don’t some countries like Taiwan allow dual citizenship? I haven’t really figured out the reasoning behind it.

1 Like

He made one mistake though
He has to contact the ministry of education directly through a contact number or go to his local hro office with a copy of the regulations along with his supporting letters, they submit it to moe who has to write up a letter of recommendation, if this happens they send it to the moi who convenes a meeting to discuss it, if it passes that stage it gets sent back to the hro to process as normal

Although I suspect he might be right, everyone being accepted has good optics for the media

1 Like

Taiwan in practice does allow dual citizenship for locals and for people from Japan and other nations.

Why they restricted others from holiding it
 small mindedness, ignorance , a dose of racism.

2 Likes