Taiwan round island cycling (11D)

Hi Adrienne,
I did it two weeks ago - by myself, but I met lots of cyclists along the way doing the same thing, going in either direction.
It’s a piece of cake.

I know only about 60 words in Mandarin and can’t pronounce half of those. You should be fine.
I just looked at Google maps before I went, noted a few road numbers and took off.

I don’t have a cell phone either. I bought a Taiwan map, at the stationery store before I went and that was enough for me.

Taipei to Kenting in 4 days

I rode from Taoyuan to Xindian to Yilan to Su’ao the first day. Hotel NT$700
Took a train to Hualien the 2nd day to avoid the infamous Su’ao tunnels (really good idea)
Rode from Hualien to Shihtiping about 75kms from 1pm to 5pm the 2nd day. Found a hotel room, no problem. NT $3600 split 3 ways - I met 2 cyclists that day

3rd day rode to Taitung. 95lms, 9am-3:30pm stopped for a hot lunch in Chenggong I think. Hotel in Taitung NT $2000
4th day Taitung to Kenting 135kms before sunset. Camped at local school, FREE. No problem. CNY I had a bag and pad with me. No tent.

Then after hanging out in Kenting for the day I decided to Catch the bus back to Taoyuan and maybe ride the West coast another time, just how I felt. I was back in Taoyuan that night about 9:30pm

A KuoKauang bus company ticket cost me NT $367 plus a half price ticket NT $180 for the bike. Just removed pedals, turned down the bars and lowered the saddle. Removed the front wheel and it went in the bus luggage compartment underneath with no problem. (in case you need to bail out) I had to change buses in Kaohsiung that’s all.

THe east coast was scenic and good riding for the most part. It was narrow in some sections and there were a few kms of roadworks to deal with.