Taiwan to confiscate undeclared cash over NTD 100,000

Taiwan is starting to imitate the USA a little bit too closely in some aspects…

What is confusing to me is the NTD 100,000 limit in just NTD or any foreign currency that equals NTD 100,000? Can you carry both NTD 100,000 and 10,000 USD in cash?

http://focustaiwan.tw/news/afav/201703140037.aspx

Taipei, March 14 (CNA) Starting from June 28, passengers leaving or entering the country carrying cash of over NT$100,000 (US$3,229), or an equivalent of US$10,000-worth of gold or other items that could be used for money laundering, such as diamonds, will have to declare the items to Customs or face punishment, the Ministry of Finance announced Tuesday.

The new rules will set a strict limit on the amount of cash passengers are allowed to carry when exiting the country to NT$100,000 (US$3,229) or US$10,000 or its equivalent in gold or other items. Those who do not declare amounts in excess of the limits will be punished with confiscation of excess cash or valuables and/or fines.

i thought it was always the rule when entering the country, but that’s strange for exiting. Seeing that you can take under 10,000USD or the equivalent without declaring into most countries and 100,000nt is lower than that. This rule is really confusing. As I, and many people have watches that are more than 10,000USD in it’s worth and i’m sure many people have diamond rings worth more along with other items. I always wondered if I have to declare that.

Completely normal — most Western countries ask for this. That being said, they usually do not check…But if you have more than US 10000, it is better safe than sorry…only time I used it, I was bringing more than 100,000 US. Every other time, I always make sure I am slightly under 10K…And that includes gold!

Is it you have to declare or that you can NOT bring in or out?

NOt a problem for me as I don’t have expensive gold watches or jewelry to carry around :slight_smile:

If you have gold bars (grams, ounces etc.) you have to declare…like cash. You can bring in and out but it is included in your total amount. For example, if you bring in 9000 cash and a bar of gold, you`ll be over the limit. That being said, gold is easier to hide than cash ahahahahah.

Does “gold or other items” include other precious metals? Or non-metal commodities?

I think it depends on the customs law of the country you are entering…as we have only brought in cash, cheques and gold bars, that is all I know about. One time we had to declare (bringing over in excess of 100000)…other time I was a little nervous because with gold I was slightly over 10000…was never asked.

Generally most countries have a 10000 US limit in terms of bringing in currency, gold, etc. Same goes for wiring funds. You wire over 10000US and it gets flagged by officials in the recipient country.

Trying to imagine why anyone would take NT dollars OUT of Taiwan…the exchange rate is awful most places.

Isn’t the point is that it will apply to monetary instruments of all kinds? It’s not limited to NT dollars.

Guy

Southeast Asians who work in Taiwan might take the money back home, where they can get a better rate on the black market.

Yeah, but they mention both 100,000 NTD and 10,0000 USD. I’m interpreting that to mean no more than 100,000 NTD in cash. Not sure if the 10,000 USD includes the 100,000 NTD in cash or is in addition to the 10,000 USD. That would make the total about 13,000 USD, so I’m going to guess the 100,000 NTD is included in the 10,000 USD limit.