Taiwan travel suggestions for a Dutch traveler?

Hi All,

My first post here :slight_smile: Lets celebrate with nice replys!

In november i will be in Taiwan for 8 days. Thinking of travel around, not only the bars of TPE. Would love to see the (for Dutchies) strange things that can only be in Taiwan. Do you have any suggestion for typical Taiwanese things a Dutch guy needs to visit??? :laughing:

Thanks !!!

Find a cheapish hotel or hostel in Taoyuan. There will be so many wonderful things to explore on foot in the immediate vicinity, and it’s the most beautiful and buzzing city in Taiwan. Plus there’s free wifi at the airport, which is spectacular by international standards. If you want a change of scenery on the weekend, take a day trip into Sanchong, the jewel of Taipei County, and marvel at the wildlife. The party never stops there, either.

Oh, and you MUST visit Long Shan nightmarket. They have the best tea ladies. Only sixty years old but VERY experienced! :thumbsup: And you can have some bloke in a vest and blue slippers tell you to not take a picture of his yellow snake. Seriously. That yellow snake is LEGEND. You’re going to have to go buy a hidden camera just to get a pic. Oh, endless thrills!

Don’t forget the bus ride into Xinzhuang, and a daytrip to Yingge.

[quote=“Romeo007”]Hi All,

My first post here :slight_smile: Lets celebrate with nice replys!

In november i will be in Taiwan for 8 days. Thinking of travel around, not only the bars of TPE. Would love to see the (for Dutchies) strange things that can only be in Taiwan. Do you have any suggestion for typical Taiwanese things a Dutch guy needs to visit??? :laughing:

Thanks !!![/quote]

First, get a Lonely Planet or Bradt guidebook for Taiwan. Both written by long term expat Taiwan residents. Then ask questions.

Btw, there’s a temple in Kaohsiung in which Dutch admirals are deified. Dutch built wells are around too. You guys also taught the Taiwan how to make mortar with sticky rice and seashells. Good work. :thumbsup:

Dutch forts in Tainan.

I thought that was a typo, but yes, it’s a fort, and well worth a visit.

Or read Travel in Taiwan! :stuck_out_tongue:

I agree with the M Man. Do your homework first and THEN ask {specific} questions. We get questions like “I am coming to Taiwan, where can I go?” quite often on our FB site and answering those questions is just time-wasting {often people don’t even reply to answers or bother to say “thx”[I guess the shortest form of showing your appreciation]}, so I usually ask people to be more specific. General info is widely available in print and online. So if you want a good answer, ask a GOOD QUESTION!

There’s a big concrete dyke along the Keelung river in Taipei.

Probably a few small holes in it that need plugging.

aside from the Dutch fort, take a boat ride through Sicao and Taijiang, where the Dutch lived and fought. Fort Anthonio (Hongmaocheng) in Tamsui is also a Dutch fort.

Tainan is the must-see place for you.
Aside from Fort Zeelandia and Fort Providentia, there exist still some historical sites from the Dutch ruling period.
Especially in the winding lanes of Anping, like Princess Victoria Tomb.
But according to my knowledge, it has nothing to do with Princess or Victoria. It’s said belonging to a local lover of a Dutch general. :sunglasses:

This temple:
guidegecko.com/taiwan/monume … ,608186631
And the one right next door:
guidegecko.com/taiwan/monume … ,608186632
Are my personal favorites in Tainan.

Read Travel in Taiwan first, then check the transportation system… in 8 days you can really travel all around the island if you want. Then maybe ask for suggestions to a local travel agency (like the one where I work :wink: ) to support you with the planning if you still need!
It all depends on what are you looking for, beaches, mountain, hot spring, cities, nightlife…

Thanks for information about Taiwan travel suggestions for a Dutch traveler.